Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Nope your not the ones

I am thinking about, They were due in October and I pretty sure they were pretty young and Canadian.

However I have to shake my finger at you and scold you.. Your choice did and will continue to put people you care about in undue stress and heartache in the future for the mere saving of 2K or less in expense. I dont know your story at all as I did not here of it. But was there any search for you? That costs all taxpayers. And it does affects the lives of people you dont even know, I'm still praying for that young couple when I think about them.

Anyway I'm glad you made it safe and someday I hope to convince my wife to make the same trip. I guarantee you she will require me to buy a SSB and a sat phone, just in case...

I to would be very interested in you starting another thread where we could ask you questions and learn from your experience. And I for one think 27' is plenty big to cross ocean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We had a recent discussion about comm schedules:

Communications Schedules

As far as effort being expended in searching for you, I share the opinion that a very wide latitude should be anticipated for transit and arrival times. Specific advice can be given to a trusted shoreside acquaintance in the event there is no news after a set period (probably double the anticipated transit time). Tell friends and family that you'll activate the EPIRB if you need help, otherwise you're fine and delays are likely due to weather or mechanical challenges.

Glad the watermaker worked well for you. It does sound like a worthwhile piece of equipment.
Old 02-06-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I see you have already started that post in general discussion... so you can disregard some of my questions.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-06-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
That was a nice writeup and I enjoyed reading it. Just curiously, how did you prep the boat for food? How much did you plan on catching? Any weather issues or mechanical issues to share or to make others aware of? Half way through the trip, was there anything you wished you had brought (or not brought... and don't mention the wife (smile)).

I always find the first hand stories very interesting and great learning tools - whether about your first time on a boat or third circumnavigation. I belive your account of your trip from HI would have interest for many readers here, including me.

Thanks for sharing.

- CD

PS Though for possibly another thread (or this one) I am not opposed to many of the "modern neccessities"... for lack of a better word. I think many of todays tools have made the sea a safer place and probably made it more 'do-able' for many that otherwise might not have chosen to. However, my big 'beef' with today's technological gadgets is the obvious dependence people have put on them over just plain, good seamanship. Electronics being a good example, they should enhance your seamanship... not replace it. That is a recipe for disaster.

Just my feelings.
We provisioned, or more accurately, My wife provisioned, for 90 days with fresh, canned, dried and freeze dried (Backpacking type) foods. We did not plan on catching anything and for various reasons did not try during this trip although we have caught lots of fish on previous crossings (We sailed in HMB Endeavour from Vancouver to Kailua-Kona in '99 and Laura sailed as delivery crew in Spike Africa from San Diego to Nawiliwili in 2004) and on short trips around the islands. Laura also stocked up with our favorite treats
but, alas, we ran out of chocolate three weeks before reaching Neah Bay

The trip took a month longer than it should have because our standing rigging started to unravel 1300 miles from Cape Flattery after we weathered a series of small gales at about lat. 38, long 158 IIRC. Being unwilling to risk setting a headsail slowed us down to 30 to 40 miles a day. When we finally reached Port Townsend and had Dan from PT Rigging look at it he pronounced it defective wire and,when I asked him about it, he told us there was no way, short of examining it inch by inch under a microscope, we could have known. I also had the wire examined by Brion Toss riggers who said the same thing. Yes, I did check the wire before we left Honolulu by running a handfull of gauze along the shrouds and stays and examining the fittings for obvious signs of corrosion. The rigging was nine years old.

There were oter minor gear failures but nothing serious and although we were sometimes uncomfortable because of long periods of wet, cold weather we never felt we were in any danger.

The only thing we wished we had brought more of (Besides chocolate) halfway through the trip was warm clothing. We had no idea it would be so cold in July in the latitudes above 40N.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves immensely and are looking forward to continuing our cruise.

There is a lot more detail and information on the American Vega Association web site and in our cruising pages

There is also an account of Laura's trip in Spike Africa. You can see how good the fishing was on that trip!

Malie ke kai

Last edited by vega1860; 02-06-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: add closing
Old 02-06-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Good writeup.
My most important piece of equipment so far is my refridge (makes ice, keeps Rum and coke cold).
Someday I hope my sails will get used
Old 02-06-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for both of the excellent postings Vega, great reading. Glad you're home safely and no longer in a dry port (although Neah Bay is beautiful, cold beer is much prettier.)
Old 02-06-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Yep Lion. I know what you mean.

Gotta run. The wife just called. Taking off work a little early and wants me to meet her at the brewery.

Malie ke kai
Old 02-06-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Think the old Wombat must be in a crotchetty mood today but it does get up my nose all this blather about causing unneccessary worry amongst one's family and friends blah de blah de blah.

Wrong. They ( as in the friends and family) caused themselves the worry. Sod 'em.

If the boat had gone down or a true emergency developed , the Epirb could be activated and the relevent authorities would be informed. Having an SSB or Satellite Phone would not, in my opinion, improve your situation.

While I appreciate many of the advantages that modern communications have to offer being in constant contact with people on shore is not one of them.

Then again I am an antisocial SOB at the best of times who always thought that Friends was a steaming pile of excrement and if anyone ever walked into my apartment (a la Seinfeld) without knocking I'd shoot the bugger.

Hey, I know, the next womboat is going to be called the "Greta Garbo".

Dennis Leary kind of said it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzZzsvOClc

cos I yam what I yam.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Wombat

You are a bit crotchety today.. I'm not even your friend ,Id hate to know what you consider me..
Old 02-06-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Good writeup.
My most important piece of equipment so far is my refridge (makes ice, keeps Rum and coke cold).
Someday I hope my sails will get used
I'm with you there Doctor Chil. you got sails? are those the white rectangular thangs shoved in those nice colorful bags?

Vega, Thx for the read and all the informative info!

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM