Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Vega- nice post and good information. We listened to the CG calls for weeks last year wondering if you were going to make it, glad you did. I would have to agree that a watermaker would take higher priority than an SSB, however both would be high on the list for me. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Wombat,

Still raining down under? You're kind of cheerful today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-06-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Wombat,

Still raining down under? You're kind of cheerful today.

Bucketing down last time I looked.

Sad reality is that your old Wombat suffers from time to time from the dreaded Gout and today's one of those days. Bloody green vegetables.

Still Raining - Only person I was referring to as an ******* was me. while I don't agree with the thing about keeping the friends and family informed, it doesn't mean I'd call you or anyone else the same. I may well disagree with you and/or others but its not like me to abuse other SailNetters. Except Sailaway of course but then he deserves it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-06-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Vega - I was crossing the Strait from Port Townsend to Friday Harbor on July 7, and must have heard the CG broadcasting your situation multiple times an hour. I'm very glad to know you made it safe and sound!

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 02-06-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Oh, and I'll echo the appreciation for Dog's water conservation idea. Very smart!

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 02-06-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
tdw,

Your post was understood and I'm sure no one thought you were referring to any one as an a$$hole. Was concern with your mental wellbeing because the post was not your normal self. Sorry to hear about your gout, understand it can be nasty. Hope you are over it soon.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Did someone mention Uriah Heep, er, sailaway?

Without too much kerfuffle, let it be said that I agree with the varmint on this one. Valiente and I had a conversation on the matter over in the thread about Giu's kid from hell or whatever he called it.

In short, bad news travels plenty fast enough. I'm a believer in telling family that I'll see them when I see them. It's cruel and inhumane in my book to set them up for worry about events they can have no impact upon. My dear departed mother never knew about that C-4 i was on running the North Atlantic that was always in the process of sinking. She didn't know about the time we almost got blown up off Little Creek, Virginia. And she sure didn't know about all that time hove-to in typhoons, full gales, and the odd hurricane. And she died not knowing. Why should she have? So I'd know that she worried about me? People, especially family, think they want to know all that stuff. Don't tell them. It's far better that they might think, you might be over due, than to have it be a matter of actual fact. This is called being selfless. And it what you do when you put to sea in a small boat to cross an ocean for no plausible reason other than you want to.

My thoughts on modern communications and their pitfalls can be found here:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showth...t=40162&page=5

Last edited by sailaway21; 02-06-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Yep Lion. I know what you mean.

Gotta run. The wife just called. Taking off work a little early and wants me to meet her at the brewery.

Malie ke kai
Well, you seem to have your sailorly priorities in order.

I think this brings up a fairly interesting debating point. Vega is evidently an experienced sailor, as is his wife, as not to be so doing a Hawa'ii to Vancouver trip in a 27-footer would be the height of folly.

But it does bring to the fore the need to "stay in touch" via satphones, SSBs and other wonders of the 21st century. A well-found small boat can make all sorts of trips with a handheld VHF, a sextant, an almanac and a compass.

Our distant ancestors were doing this sort of thing in the misty past of 1985 or thereabouts. Legend has it that virgins set out so equipped in vessels of possibly stone construction called Kon-Tes-sas or some no doubt native moniker, and said virgins, relying only on ancient scrolls called "almanacs" and the mysterious force called "WWV" and their innate, incorruptible virtue crossed seas and broad oceans, possibly ramming dragons in the process.

But because you can reach out and touch someone from the middle of an ocean passage (assuming, naturally, that your wallet is thicker than your hull lay-up), does this mean you should, or more to the point, that you must?

I am surprised to hear that a 27 footer could carry enough solar panels to run a watermaker off the house batteries, because I'm pretty sure that the fuel carried would be well under 100 hours of engine run time (plus a likely maximum alt output of 55 amps). Throw in a 150 watt SSB so you can say "still here!" to lubbers? You might be able to report dying of thirst!

There are many reasons to go to sea, and one of them is to "get away". The hazards are known, and the consequences of poor decision-making, indifferent attention to maintenance or sheer dumb luck (a bow ornament on a container ship, or the dinner of a rogue wave) are largely final and not fixable by any amount of SAR heroics, worthy though they might be.

The wife had it right: She provisioned for 90 days in anticipation of 30 days, and insisted on throwing in a little watermaker. 55 days was a longer passage, not a *bad* passage nor one that would elicit much comment before our modern world insisted on shrinking the globe to a set of time zones and due dates. The sea, magnificent in its indifference, has the last word.
Old 02-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Bucketing down last time I looked.

Sad reality is that your old Wombat suffers from time to time from the dreaded Gout and today's one of those days. Bloody green vegetables.

I thought they prevented gout. Well, solidarity, brother: I just shovelled 30 cm. of snow off the estate and I decided to add your brandy to mine. Succour is required.

(By way of saying "bucketing down" would've saved me a stiff back in the morning, which is why I'm having a stiff drink tonight.)
Old 02-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
This is called being selfless. And it what you do when you put to sea in a small boat to cross an ocean for no plausible reason other than you want to.
Well said, G. If you get killed following your dream, your survivors feel bad once, but have the consolation of knowing you went into it with eyes wide open and singing a sailor song. If they look at some distant satellite map, or think Tahiti's near Fiji, where a typhoon is sinking Beneteaus, they will worry and fret over things not only that they can't effect, but over things they can have a potentially detrimental outcome. Imagine calling out SAR because you were 10 days late...but you were only late, not dead, not in a raft, not lying comatose on the cabin sole because you ate three pounds of the wrong reef fish. The SAR or other resources diverted to save you (not necessarily in need of saving, just dooting along at 2 knots under a full hoist) could be saving someone truly in peril.

My sense of things is that emergency services are doled out on a first come/first served basis. If you just say "I expect to be here in July, and I'll contact you if I can, but I may not" and file a sail plan with the roughest of parameters, there won't be enough information to set certain official wheels in motion.

I recall Moiteissier coming alongside passing frieghters and using a slingshot to launch film canisters onto their decks. That's how people learned how *his* circ was going.