Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008

mjrogers is on a distinguished road
Cstockard,
Very well put. I must confess I was being tongue in cheek to a degree. When we met she asked where I saw myself in 5 years. My reply was living on a sailboat in New England for the summer and the south Atlantic for the winter. Until I learn enough and can take off across the ocean.

I've planned this out for years and can retire in 1 year when I turn 50, but I want to do this sustainably. I don't want an air conditioned dock condo with a fat monthly payment, nor do I want to do this in my 1979 Hunter 25 (it was cheap but isn't a great boat).

A compromise is in order. When she first started looking at boats she was looking and new Benateaus and Jenneaus. Then she started looking at Halberg Rasseys and Cape Dorys. Then we looked at a (I think) Ta Shing Nantuckett (I'm sure it was a Nantuckett but fuzzy about the maker). Everything else, in her eyes, pales in comparison. It was an absolutely beautiful boat. Watching her taste evolve as she learns more has been great, but that boat is out of our price range to purchase out right and a monthly payment is a deal breaker financially.

For me 30-35' costal cruiser capable of a well planned occasional bluewater trip, with a recent engine, large water tanks, solar and wind, good size galley, solar heated gravity hot water and foot pumps otherwise, a dingy capable of double duty as a life boat, and a well insulated icebox. I am mixed on a watermaker, they are only good in open clean water and I'll spend most of my time anchored along the coast.

She is very close to this but wants 38-42' with a fridge, AC, pressure hot water. We are actually quite close. I think after a few trailer trips on my Catalina 22, she will be so in love with cruising her needs will minimize. I do see pressure hot water in my future though.

I don't want an auto pilot, radar, chart plotter, forward looking sonar, satellite phone, or RIB. I don't want to camp. But as I started selling things off I become less attached to things and technology. I am more in tune with Vega's lifestyle, for instance.
Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrogers View Post

Cstockard,
Very well put. I must confess I was being tongue in cheek to a degree. When we met she asked where I saw myself in 5 years. My reply was living on a sailboat in New England for the summer and the south Atlantic for the winter. Until I learn enough and can take off across the ocean.

I've planned this out for years and can retire in 1 year when I turn 50, but I want to do this sustainably. I don't want an air conditioned dock condo with a fat monthly payment, nor do I want to do this in my 1979 Hunter 25 (it was cheap but isn't a great boat).

A compromise is in order. When she first started looking at boats she was looking and new Benateaus and Jenneaus. Then she started looking at Halberg Rasseys and Cape Dorys. Then we looked at a (I think) Ta Shing Nantuckett (I'm sure it was a Nantuckett but fuzzy about the maker). Everything else, in her eyes, pales in comparison. It was an absolutely beautiful boat. Watching her taste evolve as she learns more has been great, but that boat is out of our price range to purchase out right and a monthly payment is a deal breaker financially.

For me 30-35' costal cruiser capable of a well planned occasional bluewater trip, with a recent engine, large water tanks, solar and wind, good size galley, solar heated gravity hot water and foot pumps otherwise, a dingy capable of double duty as a life boat, and a well insulated icebox. I am mixed on a watermaker, they are only good in open clean water and I'll spend most of my time anchored along the coast.

She is very close to this but wants 38-42' with a fridge, AC, pressure hot water. We are actually quite close. I think after a few trailer trips on my Catalina 22, she will be so in love with cruising her needs will minimize. I do see pressure hot water in my future though.

I don't want an auto pilot, radar, chart plotter, forward looking sonar, satellite phone, or RIB. I don't want to camp. But as I started selling things off I become less attached to things and technology. I am more in tune with Vega's lifestyle, for instance.
Michael
16 Hours Ago 02:55 PM
I think that the auto pilot and radar would come long before the pressure water system if you actually want to go anywhere away from the marina....

Oh never mind Just bite the bullet, push back your retirement ten years and get the Nantucket.

After all, to quote Zig Ziglar: Do you want a happy wife, or just a wife?

It could be worse. Mine wants to sail around Cape Horn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 02-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2008

I would prefer a wind vane to an autopilot, $3000 in the bank to radar, and the Med to Cape Horn. Anyway this was my dream first, when I told her the first words out of her mouth were "Can I come?" She hasn't spent enough time cruising to understand it very well. Weekending on my Hunter have helped, but a few trips with the trailer sailer will likely put things in perspective. Let me think, what else do we need to do to get her ready??? Oh yes, I'll keep her away from boats we can't afford...
Old 02-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chicken...what's the fun of keeping her away from the $x,000,000 boats?

Quote:
I would prefer a wind vane to an autopilot, $3000 in the bank to radar, and the Med to Cape Horn. Anyway this was my dream first, when I told her the first words out of her mouth were "Can I come?" She hasn't spent enough time cruising to understand it very well. Weekending on my Hunter have helped, but a few trips with the trailer sailer will likely put things in perspective. Let me think, what else do we need to do to get her ready??? Oh yes, I'll keep her away from boats we can't afford...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2008

Chicken!?!?!? Chicken!?!?!?!?!? I'm devastated. I'll hoist the skull and cross bones, come looking for you. Wait... I'd better ask permission first.
Old 02-21-2008

She said OK but wants to know if we could fit a washer, dryer, and dishwasher on a multi-hull.
Old 02-21-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
She said OK but wants to know if we could fit a washer, dryer, and dishwasher on a multi-hull.
That's what those pontoon thingys with all that deck space is for. Bikes, lawn furniture and appliances. Just put a blue poly tarp over them when it rains.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In that case, I'd highly recommend the Melvin & Morelli designed Gunboat 62 Catamaran... more than enough room for you and the missus and anything else she'd want to bring along. You can see a great little video of one here.
Quote:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-22-2008

Didn't I see plans for a big pontoon boat like that somewhere on Sailnet? I think it was home built out of 55 gallon drums, PVC pipe, and old metal shelves, or something like that. Wow, with one of those all I'd need to do is reinforce the tramp, get some ramps, and voila... foredeck parking. Of course I'm in Kentucky so I'll have to put the car on concrete blocks and I can keep an old washer next to it.
Old 02-22-2008
Telstar 28

Damn, I keep forgetting what happens when you mix rednecks and sailboats.
Quote:
Didn't I see plans for a big pontoon boat like that somewhere on Sailnet? I think it was home built out of 55 gallon drums, PVC pipe, and old metal shelves, or something like that. Wow, with one of those all I'd need to do is reinforce the tramp, get some ramps, and voila... foredeck parking. Of course I'm in Kentucky so I'll have to put the car on concrete blocks and I can keep an old washer next to it.

Telstar 28
New England