Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
A friend sailed his 28 foot Bristol Channel Cutter to Micronesia. How did it go I asked. He said the little boat sailed like a witch and he never felt threatened in rough weather. Then he pauses and I heard the approach of a but..." But," he said, "the boat was too small...to small to carry enough fuel, water and provisions. It seemed like we had to return to port every few days to stock up again."
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I never thought of or considered lights as minimum electronics but basic systems.
I think my boat gives me a warped perception sometimes. You're right; it is a basic system. I may have one of the smallest cruisers made, but it was still a big part of their advertising that you could use it for overnights. Yet it came from the factory with no lights. I know the regulations say that for boats under 7 meters you can just carry a flashlight and turn it on as needed, but that is only if you are under sail. If I turn on the motor, I have to have lights and it did come from the factory with a motor mount. Even then, I still have the option of just using a single white light if I keep my speed under 7 kts.

Lights of one kind or another are on the short list (I posted on that earlier).
Old 06-28-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
My suggestion is read as much as you can, but don't worship, and be sure to know what works for YOU not some author. When I say author that includes MY list of what works for ME above. If you find something in my list or an authors book useful to YOU then adopt it but don't do as some do and blindly accept a printed authors word for it just because it was in a "book"...
Just so...and when you find yourself throwing the book across the cabin and yelling "Hogwash!" it's time to stop reading and go cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-21-2008

GypsyHawk is on a distinguished road
Question Essential safety electronics for cruising??

Have come late to this informative thread and have a question about what others may see as essential, optional or unnecessary for offshore cruising - particularly what are some views on installing an AIS transponder.

I am currently preparing my boat, a Van De Stadt Helena 38, for extended cruising. I agree with all that has been said about simple and minimal systems but am at the point of deciding on installing both radar and a Comar AIS transponder (strongly advocated by my wife and sailing partner who has fears of ships at night ).
Old 07-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHawk View Post
Have come late to this informative thread and have a question about what others may see as essential, optional or unnecessary for offshore cruising - particularly what are some views on installing an AIS transponder.

I am currently preparing my boat, a Van De Stadt Helena 38, for extended cruising. I agree with all that has been said about simple and minimal systems but am at the point of deciding on installing both radar and a Comar AIS transponder (strongly advocated by my wife and sailing partner who has fears of ships at night ).

What do these AIS transponders cost ?

I'm afraid I think radar on a small craft is a waste of money unless you happen to live/cruise in a particularly foggy area.

Only problem I see with things like the AIS gear is that you need to be running a chart plotter, be that stand alone or computer. Are you really going to run that thing 24 hours a day ? If not then the security is a tad illusory.

We rely more on paper charts than the plotter when out and about. Indeed I use my small hand held gps more than the other. Maybe I would use plotter more if it was computer based but even then would I ? That's an awful lot of power drain.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-22-2008

GypsyHawk is on a distinguished road
Ais

AIS transponder costs around $1400 (Aust), which imo makes it a better proposition than just installing a receiver. Will also have to install another VHF antennna. I think peace of mind comes in knowing that the big ships can see you as much as knowing what commercial shipping is around - we know they don't always see or even look on radar. Also an advantage in knowing the call sign of that ship heading your way from the horizon.

A display in the cockpit runs at around 3 amps or less I believe, while a laptop may draw twice that much. The AIS unit itself draws very little power. I will use the laptop for passage planning and as a chartplotter backup only.
Old 07-22-2008

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
[quote=tdw;344703]What do these AIS transponders cost ?

I'm afraid I think radar on a small craft is a waste of money unless you happen to live/cruise in a particularly foggy area.

i think i will disagree on the radar - they are very valuable in heavy shipping lanes - especially at night - i have a raymarine 2kw and it calculates the other ships speed, course, and closest approach and time to closest approach - can put it in standby mode and check it occassionally to see what is out there -
also very handy when storms are about - can steer around them or if not get well prepared before they hit
just my thoughts
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
full time cruiser - on the hook in cambridge,md
Old 07-23-2008
Catalina 320

jnsailing is on a distinguished road
Ais

If traveling shipping channels then an AIS receiver is nice to have. Knowing where those big boys are can put your mind at ease. The transponders are another issue. As a VTC friend of mine says "they are intended for commercial shipping. If every little boat with the bucks to burn goes out and buys one VTC will not be able to read their screens." My feeling is as long as I know where they are I will take the steps to avoid them - they are generally not able to maneuver around me anyways.

John N.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Old 07-23-2008
Boater

pfbanyas is on a distinguished road
I think it is important to stress that sensible is in the eye's of the beholder. We all have different ideas of sensible based on our perception of what makes us comfortable. Don't change your perception of what you consider comfortable to conform to other peoples opinions of what is "sensible" to have on your boat. You can always expect someone to criticize but what the heck as long as you are comfortable and have what you want (not just what you may need) at anchor or in a marina you are good to go.

I have redundent GPS/chartplotter systems, several VHFs, Radar, laptop with PDA backup, air conditioning, refrigeration/icemaker, generator, invertors, dinghy, inflatable, outboard, bow thruster, the kitchen sink, and a huge pilothouse with side deck and back deck doors. When I go places I am comfortable and if something fails (except that trusty perkins, knock on wood) I can continue my trip while a new part meets me at a future port of call. I can sail or motor and regardless the weatherand and I am comfortable.

I would suggest that the primary guide to use in outfitting for cruising is your perception of what "you" need to be/feel comfortable because being sensible (having, using, or showing good sense or sound judgment) implies that you would not undertake a lifestyle where you were not comfortable right. Take ideas from forum posts but let your comfort level temper the ideas to your level of "sensible".
Old 08-11-2008

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Henry David Thoreau made an argument about using a box as a place to live. I guess this was before modern nylon backpacking tents. Having spent some time backpacking I must say that almost any boat is better than a backpacking tent. But after 4-5 days out in the woods carrying my house on my back I was ready for some creature comforts!!!!! I love HDT and his ideals have influenced my life. But how minimal can you go???? My Pearson 323 is about as small as I want for a week or two. I guess that my wife and I will go cruising next year and use the P323 at first. If we love the cruising lifestyle we will probably buy a larger boat. But if we are happy cruising in the P323 we will keep cruising in that boat. The main argument from sensible cruising IMHO was that you should go cruising not waste your life planning to go cruising. I know that I am chicken **** and going cruising is scarey. Sitting around for years planning to go criusing is much less scarey!!!! Loading up the boat and going is difficult and I will probably use any excuse to procrastinate actually casting off the lines that hold me firmly attached to life on shore.

Last edited by MoonSailer; 08-11-2008 at 09:14 PM.