Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Abosolutely MUST have a queen sized bed. No Exceptions!!!! My wife and I make full use of the entire bed at night so it must be big. To us, "cozy" just means too f'ing small.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well... Land Ho...Welcome back Sailorman...I have asked several times about you over at SBO with not much luck...Hows the Boat Hows the Boys? Still have the use of the free dock? Did you install the Lazyboy and couch yet... Find an engine yet? Still Nursing?

Glad to see you havent given up

There is a good lot over here.

Again Welcome back Patrick

Post some updated pictures of her
Old 05-24-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Thoreau is awesome, and I've found this book very helpful in separating the necessary skills and equipment, from the pointless obstacles/expenses. My $800 Catalina 22 is extremely comfortable for coastal cruising with two people. Anything bigger would just mean more time working on/paying for the boat- and less sailing.

Here's what I've found to be worthwhile equipment for ~1 week cruising:

Dining:
small propane BBQ
small cooler with carrying handle (keeps ice for 1 week)
fishing and snorkeling gear for obtaining free seafood
high quality plastic silverware/plates
high quality coffee (NOT folgers), ground just before trip, and placed in empty tea bags for brewing

Plumbing:
stainless steel bowl for a sink
porta-potty
solar shower (aka black plastic bag)

Navigation:
$50 GPS
free paper charts- (printed out on-line, and taped together)
handheld compass
pencil
ruler

Safety:
electric trolling motor w/ charger and batteries
PVC raft w/ oars
life vests
jacklines & harnesses
manual and electric bilge pumps
electric depth sounder
good anchor and chain, no windlass
handheld marine radio
flares
fire extinguisher

Last edited by casioqv; 05-24-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2010

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
The Best Days

Sailing simply in a Catalina 22 reminded me of an encounter with such a boat by a multi million dollar yacht. Both were anchored. Towering above the 22 the owner of the mega yacht looked down at the skipper of the 22 and with a far off look in his eyes said...hey son, I use to own a boat that size and those were the best days of my life.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

Old 05-24-2010

And when the sailor has got his boat, he may not be the richer but the poorer for it, and it be the boat that has got him.

I intend to purchase a boat which will surpass any on the marina in grandeur and luxury, as soon as it pleases me as much and will cost me no more than my present one.

Thoreau quotes edited for context

I'm 25 and my wife is 24- we just recently graduated from college. When I told people I was looking at buying a sailboat, they said I should wait until I'm older and I can buy a nice one. But for less money than a new laptop computer, we're cruising NOW with more than enough comfort and safety to spare.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 05-24-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I don't think there is a meaningful answer to the "minimum required" for cruising and I won't attempt to share my list. It may be best for the individual to determine their own minimums for risk/safety management, comfort management, and performance management. I scoff at some of the essentials listed above and I strongly agree with others. Many differences will result with the style of cruising too. We are "cockpit potatoes" that travel in the best of selected weather and we avoid commitments to arrival dates. Certainly, the cost of cruising and equipment is another variable. My advice as a liveaboard cruiser for four decades is to take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-24-2010
Make it Happen

pwillems is on a distinguished road
How about if money isn't an issue?

This is really a very interesting topic for me... How about if money wasn't an issue? Most arguments I have seen here for the ideal cruising boat are based around the exponential increase in purchase and upkeep costs of the systems with each eack extra foot of LOA.

I have had the dream of cruising for most of my life, though, I never thought it would be possible for an average Joe like me. Just recently, out of the blue, my wife also started talking about this and we have decided we were going to make it happen. We have started seriously cutting down on our already modest "lifestyle" and were thinking 15 to 20 years from now we should have been able to save enough and have enough investments to buy something suitable and keep on cruising it until we no longer feel like it is fun. Now just recently, we have had some luck and it looks like the 15 to 20 years saving are not going to be necessary. We could probably set off in a year or two if it wasn't for a child with special needs who needs a stable life close to the services he requires.

In short, in around 10 years when we set off, if all goes well, we should be in a relatively good position and probably not overly concerned about the cost of the boat and it's upkeep (within reason). In a case like this what would be the ideal boat for long term cruising? Would you still stick to a smaller vessel with less systems but a nicer pedigree (Tayana, IPY etc...) or rather go for something larger with room for plenty of toys to make the trip fun, a washing machine and a happy wife?
Old 05-24-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
This is really a very interesting topic for me... How about if money wasn't an issue?
Aye, there's the rub. Money is always an issue. Money may not determine the size and quality of the boat you set off in, as needs and mantenance skills play a big part here. A licensed diesel mechanic with a combined honours degree in naval architecture and electrical engineering who is 5'6" and single has different needs than a 6' tall family man who is all thumbs and has 5 kids. BUT money will detemine how long you can cruise without refilling the kitty. Which often gets back to skills and maintenance. if you can't fix what breaks, and things break often because you don't know how to fix them, you are going to see your underway repair budget balloon, which causes your passage budget to shrink.
Perhaps our boats also tend to reflect our self-image. For example i am drawn to boats that are short, wide, comfy capable, slow but loaded with character... in other words, unhansome..

Last edited by bljones; 05-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2010
Make it Happen

pwillems is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Aye, there's the rub. Money is always an issue. Money may not determine the size and quality of the boat you set off in, as needs and mantenance skills play a big part here.
Yes, agreed most definitely... But what if money isn't an issue. I mean what if you can afford that brand spanking new Lagoon 400 with all the desirables from the options list that all the "cruising" magazines tell us we must have... And once you have it, you still have enough kitty left to cruise indefinitely and afford the upkeep (doing what you can yourself and getting someone else to do what you can't).

On that basis, are there any valid arguments to stick to something smaller and simpler? And are these arguments strong enough to ignore the old dictum I live by: "Happy wife, happy life".
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
On that basis, are there any valid arguments to stick to something smaller and simpler?
Well, my C22 can be quickly trailered to unique sailing destinations with a comfortable Volvo station wagon, it's easier to sail, and needs less maintenance. If money was no object I might (or might not) get a bigger boat or better equipment, but I doubt I'd have more fun as a result.

Someday I might want a bigger boat if I have time to do a long bluewater trip, if I have the option to live-aboard, or if I had kids and needed more room.