Sensible Cruising - Page 16 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 156 Old 03-28-2012
The Witchdoctor
Re: Sensible Cruising

If you want a perfect boat and perfect equipment for cruising, then consider a new hobby. If you wait for pefect you will never go. New boats and equipment have new and hidden problems. Old boats have the same old problems. Choose your set of problems, but there will alwyas be problems.

The best thing needed to cruise is an attitude that you can do it and an accpetance that it is time to do it. My wife and I will start our circumnavigation on May 3rd (weather permitting).

As for things I like on a boat? I like a large refrigerator/Freezer. I also like having a spare bedroom for guests. As such, we have a Hudson Force 50. Lots of room, but still small enough to single hand. We train to single hand, but sail double handed or with guests.

Sail with what you have. Enjoy what it gives you. That is the best way to enjoy sailing.

The Witchdoctor.
WanderingStar, mdi and utchuckd like this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #152 of 156 Old 03-28-2012

I cruised for my first 17 years, and several Pacific crossings, mostly full time, before I installed my first battery and electrical system , or VHF on my boat. Never had refrigeration and never missed it. Never had a watermaker, nor ham radio, till a few years ago.
WanderingStar and aeventyr60 like this.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"

Last edited by Brent Swain; 03-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
post #153 of 156 Old 04-07-2012

We took the minimalist approach with our first cruising boat, a Pacific Seacraft 37. It was safe, fun to sail, and I could handle it alone in all but really bad weather. It didn't have refrigeration, a genset, or a watermaker (no real space) yet carried enough food and water for the two of us for weeks. Perfect boat--for some people, and we've seen a good number of 37's out here--but just too small. The Pacific Seacraft 40 is barely enough to really live on, especially if you're not hanging out on small palm-fringed islands or in the water most of the time (I can't be in the sun--melanoma). It has all the goodies, but I can't handle the sails except in the calmest weather. I think the best answer is to ask yourself what you want to do and where you want to go. If the answer is, "Both high and low latitudes, water sports and (classical) concerts in the cities," you'll need more room for clothes (including warm weather shorts and cold weather sweaters), equipment, a cabin heater, refrigeration (or at least a truly competent icebox), more charts, more spares, etc. If you want to go to deserted islands you'll need to be prepared to fix everything yourself, and provide all the necessary parts. My experience (and we've cruised for 45 years and been away from the US for three years now, messing around in the South Pacific and repairing the boat in exotic locations) is that guys like spartan and the gals prefer a few more comforts. Interesting, though, how my dear hubby has borrowed my craft gear to repair electronics, plumbing, and even the gen set....

And oh yeah--here in New Zealand we've been awfully glad to have the Espar cabin heater.
post #154 of 156 Old 04-09-2012

All of a sudden thinking...something! different.
does anyone know some low viscosity high molecular weight oils? At least 15 carbons preferred..

Thanks in advance

No sailing for now!

Last edited by master80; 04-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.
post #155 of 156 Old 04-09-2012

I've spent the last week cruising thru this thread & watching Vega1860's videos "Pacific Crossing". To spend 55 days at sea sounds like a dream to me but for others (my wife, LOL) it would be pure hell.

For a 4 year old thread, there is a lot of good information here.

You just have to do whatever it is that feels right for you. Does it really matter if it's a 40footer or a 26 footer if you're out there doing it? I think not.
utchuckd likes this.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #156 of 156 Old 04-09-2012

Originally Posted by Plumper View Post
Why did you choose Amsteel?

Regarding boat size, one of my problems is berth size. Being 6'6" I chose my boat because of its bunk lengths not boat size. I think that the fun on a sailboat is inversely proportional to size.
Good point about size, yea at 300 lbs it is hard to use a quarter berth although when in it you won't roll much

Skipper E-J
S/V "Sailmates" 1973 IRWIN 32 Classic

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.