Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Vega,

I really do like your idea for the logbook. Good thinking, I'm definitely going to steal that idea.

We have two GPS on board, one installed at the chart table with a cockpit repeater and a handheld. I'll probably make that two handheld shortly.

As an aside, our log fried itself some time back. Now we use the handheld GPS instead.

Rains stopped for awhile in old Sydney Town, need to head off down to the old girl to check for leaks.

Cheers for now

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Another "favorite" post from halekai. This is starting to sound like hero worship. But seriously, You guys are dead on about the books. They are nice to read, fun to have around, convenient for reference, time killers, relaxation enhancers, but a place like this or other forums where things get hashed out, much better IMHO.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Who said

anything about hashing things out.....

Just Kidding...
Old 02-09-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Sensible Cruising

If we could cruise sensibly, we wouldn't need a forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 02-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Daw-gon-it... Priate

Now ya done it....Im going to have to gouge my eye out...
Old 02-09-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Hey Wombat. Had a ship mate on Endeavour we called "Fran the Gran". She was a tall ship junkie in her fifties, originally from Scotland living in OZ. Anyway, we got to talking on watch one time and I mentioned that I had visited Sidney during the late unpleasantness in Southeast Asia. She asked when. I told her, '68 and went on about what a good time I'd had and how friendly the girls were and how we had gone to the Motor Club in Sydney every night to, well, you know, soldiers on leave eh? She got this horrified look on her face and asked me what my rank had been. When I told her I had been a buck sergeant at the time she almost feinted from relief and said. "Oh, I only dated officers."

Old Fran led an interesting life. Retired, she traveled the world crewing on tall ships. Last time I saw her she was passing through Honolulu on her way to join a ship in New York (IIRC) for a tall ship race across the Atlantic.
Old 02-09-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Was that the Aussie ship Young Endeavour?
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 02-09-2008
Handsome devil

Careful Vega

Your wife will be reading this..
Old 02-10-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
No. HM Bark Endeavour. The replica of the ship Capt. James Cook sailed around the world on his first voyage of discovery in 1768. Awesome ship. The best of its kind by far.

Old 02-10-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
No. HM Bark Endeavour. The replica of the ship Capt. James Cook sailed around the world on his first voyage of discovery in 1768. Awesome ship. The best of its kind by far.

Plumper,
There are two Endeavours. The one you are talking about 'the Young Endeavour' was a gift to Oz from Britain at the time of our bicentenary in 1988. She nows calls Newcastle home. We were moored across the way from her when we sailed into Newcastle year before last. Good looking thing but not a replica.

NE is the black hull off to the right of the pic not the white dreamboat which was in Newcastle (Australia not UK of course) for some repairs and maintenance.

The Endeavour herself is probably one of only two positive things you can say about disgraced businessman and all round shite head Allan Bond, he of Australia II fame which was of course the second. She is indeed a fine thing.
Sydney used to have a number of square riggers, James Craig, Endeavour, Bounty being the most famous. Bounty has recently been sold to some Chinese investors who have moved her to Hong Kong. Endeavour is now owned by the National Maritime Museum and is berthed in Darling Harbour near the Craig. (or at least she was last time I looked).

Its actually somewhat ironic that Endeavour is based in Sydney as Cook sailed straight past the place with nary a sideways glance.

Vega,
What was it the English used to say about you septics during WWII ? Overpaid , over sexed and over here ? Something like that. Actually I think it's fair to say that despite the opposition to the war itself, American servicemen have always received a warm welcome here. Even an old peacenik like me is likely to be out to welcome in visiting US ships and I don't mean with protest banners flying.

ps - I could be absolutely anal about it and remind you that when he commanded Endeavour Cook was but a lieutenant. But I won't.

Thanks again for this thread.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-10-2008 at 03:32 AM.