Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cam

I did oversimplify a tad for speed of typing. the lift weighed it @ 27650 at last haul out. But that was empty of fuel and water so I know its has to be close to 30K ready to cruise. It is a Ketch also and does have the factory large heavy dingy davits and a swim/dive/loading platform on the stern.
You can see both in my avitar....When we hang our 14' center console with 35 hp outboard I KNOW we are over that... And still makin 8.5 knts gosh I love bigger boats...

Last edited by Stillraining; 02-14-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
About your auto pilot...I looked up the specks it says it's for up to 20K displacement...arnt you more then that?...Im at 30K on a 41' Irwin..
SR - we weigh in at a stated tare of 26k(lbs) in cruising form we probably gross out at about 30k (fuel, water, beer, etc). We sailed this boat in really heavy weather (downwind 7- 8 knots under bare poles) and our autopilot never wavered.

We have friends that have a 41 foot steel boat loaded with gear and he reckons he grosses 14.5 tons (metric so about 32k lbs). He has the same autopilot and swears by it after 25000 miles of cruising.

So has Raymarine undervalued their autopilot? In a word, yes.

And by the way, we also both have wheel to cable steering.

TDW - we had some form of Raytheon wheel pilot on an earlier boat. Gave us never ending issues with belt adjustments, slipping "out of gear", fluxgate calibrations going awry, several times it failed altogether and had to be repaired by electronics boffins. Eventually it let me down on a long voyage across the Indian Ocean (zip support) and I ended up hand-steering for 3500 miles singlehanded. You have no idea the bad taste that left for me. NEVER again a wheel pilot for me. If you're interested I could probably give you a fix from my log where I deep-sixed that mother although I recollect the water was about 7000 metres deep

I'd be interested to hear from Fleming windpilot owners. We have one fellow in Auckland who reckons this thing is the Holy Grail of wind pilots but then again when you've just parted with a bucket full of dinero that would be standard response.

Andre
Old 02-15-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
I think that maybe Raymarine hasn't undervalued their product, they attempted to idiot proof it. So that some jerk-off in a Macgregor with no mainsail and his 150% genny up can flip on the autopilot and not melt the thing, then come back to Raymarine and say "hey, you guys said this would work on my boat and now it's sitting on top of a lighthouse 'cause I went down below for five or six hours and the damn thing didn't work!". So maybe that's why, when the boat is properly balanced FIRST, then the autopilot is set, you can run with a way smaller unit than the spec's say.
Old 02-19-2008

Oldsalt_1942 is on a distinguished road
I think that Sensible Cruising is one of the best books written about going cruising. The essence of it is that too many people don't go because for many reasons they are waiting for the "right" boat to go in...within reason they say "take the boat you have and go."

Don't forget the motto...a small boat and a suitcase full of money beats a 40 footer tied to a bank.
Old 02-20-2008

kengoodings is on a distinguished road
Very correct about piling more gear into a boat before cruising. We're installing a new engine (ourselves) and the various improvements to the equipment supporting this new engine has cost us $5k this month.....Sheesh!
Experienced cruisers tell us......toss those marine catalogues away and just GO!!!
Old 02-20-2008

cstockard is on a distinguished road
The couple must share the dream...

"Now I just have to convince my love that we don't need 38' with AC and refrigeration...
Michael"

Michael wants the minimal "go simple, go small" boat. While that style of cruising can be fun, economical, and fulfilling, it sounds like too many cruises that end early when one member of a couple has one dream and the other member a diffeent one.

We've been cruising for five years now and we do see a few of the really primitive cruisers, and we see a few of the must have every accesory known to man cruisers. But most of us fit in the middle somewhere.

Having a watermaker can go a long way to improving life on a small boat. Being able to wash the salt off each day, wash dishes, or even waste a little now and then eases a strain that many couples find hard to live with over the long term. It is one thing to "camp out" on your boat for a month or so, and quite another to do it year in and year out.

Having power to run bright reading lights and a stereo makes those long dark night cozier. Sure you could use the classic oil lamp if you want to deal with finding and storing another fuel, trimming the wick, keeping the thing from getting broken, etc.

Michael needs to ask his wife what level of comfort (or discomfort?) she is willing to put up with long term. If she'd be happy living in a tent and cooking over an open fire, then go for that really simple bare boat. If she insists of air conditioning and hi-def beg screen TV then perhaps you need to find a different dream.

Relationships and cruising boats are both compromises. So seek a combination that both of you can live with. If you force her to adopt a vision she does not share you will end your cruise early or end up as yet another single hander.
Old 02-20-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Nice post cstockard. Well said.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Some people would really rather just live on a big comfortable boat in a marina with shore power for the A/C, and a mast to hang the awnings and satelite dish on. It's not always the female half of the couple either. One lady we knew confided in my wife that she would rather her husband sold the 50 footer in favor of a boat more like ours so they could actually go cruising. The husband wanted to take out a mortgage to buy a bigger boat and more gear. They've lived aboard for probably twenty years but the boat owns them, not the other way around and it's so much hassle to get ready for sea that they never even go for a day sail or inter-island getaway.

He's perfectly content with marina life. She dreams of reaching down the trades for weeks at sea and deserted anchorages in French Polynesia. Every time I think of them I thank my lucky stars that Laura and I share the same dream.

Old 02-20-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone mentioned rainfall capture? A good setup to divert rainfall to the water tanks can be a relatively cheap and useful item.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
There is the crux

of the whole mater...

In a lot of cases spouse's dont share the same dream of the cruising life style...no mater what boat they own...This would not be sensible cruising...in your analogy the woman is the only one who wants to really go...period...The guy just wants to be comfortable with his Dock Condo...

I totally believe in living within your means..but if that means stressing a relationship between spouses over what is and isn't necessary then in my mind Cruising is not the lifestyle for them...

I Have a wife that likes the water and one who is claustrophobic in a small sense...She likes bigger boats..Lucky Me..... as I do too.. just for different reasons...I like the Power, speed, openness .. I have too bad a back to be hunched over and contorted in a small boat all the time..I could go with a smaller boat but I dont want to and it would be painful for me...She could not due to the fact of her tight space phobia... Fortunately we can afford a big boat with no bank or credit holder needed...

I have said this before but will again...If I had a 27' whatever we could not cast of any faster...I still have 3 girls to put through collage ( yes Im paying for it..dont start on me as to why..I just want to.) Yes I could have paid off my house with the same money, but why do that?... Id rather have a boat to play on that my wife wants to be on while were here...

I See every ones situation as different and I cant see how one size fits all works...God has blessed me the ability to make a good living...Im not rich by any means..but pragmatic and determined to have what I want pretty much... It dose take time and discipline..but some times I get the feeling that unless we buy into the "go small go minimal go now" syndrome..I am some how missing out...missing out on what ? a devorse?

I do believe there are people that use the excuse that they need everything just perfect as a secret excuse to never leave ...because deep down they are really just plain scared and dont think they can.

Vega: I am envious of you for one thing...Your health..I would trade a big boat for a small one for that and that alone...

But such is ones lot in life...lets keep an open mind to each others needs and help them achieve their individual goal not our own mandate...

Now which one of you Scallywags on board wants a cold beer from my FRIDGE...He Heee Hee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Some people would really rather just live on a big comfortable boat in a marina with shore power for the A/C, and a mast to hang the awnings and satelite dish on. It's not always the female half of the couple either. One lady we knew confided in my wife that she would rather her husband sold the 50 footer in favor of a boat more like ours so they could actually go cruising. The husband wanted to take out a mortgage to buy a bigger boat and more gear. They've lived aboard for probably twenty years but the boat owns them, not the other way around and it's so much hassle to get ready for sea that they never even go for a day sail or inter-island getaway.

He's perfectly content with marina life. She dreams of reaching down the trades for weeks at sea and deserted anchorages in French Polynesia. Every time I think of them I thank my lucky stars that Laura and I share the same dream.

Last edited by Stillraining; 02-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.