Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
All I am saying is.. how to you sail a 25ft boat with 40ft waves?
Oh, I see. I personally don't have a clue how you do it. But it seems that its not easy.

Go to the BFS Thread and read the story about Skip Allen and Wildflower.

He was in a Wylie 27 in some really nasty stuff - with waves up to 35'. And he ended up calling for rescue and scuttled the boat. It's a great story.

Then you've got johnshasteen who has been in a couple of big storms in the gulf in his Bristol 30 and come through okay.

Also take a look at the Heavy Weather Sailing thread in Seamanship. It's got GREAT info from a lot of great salts on how to weather the nasty stuff.

PS - Your head's on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
I get scared with 2 foot drops on the lake with my Catalina 25.
Even worse is the ride back home cutting across huge waves instead of just rolling down them.
Again, I am new to sailing and maybe that is normal.
I have yet to 'have to' reef my main, but again I wouldn't know to anyways.. haha

P.S - I know.. haha
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Do you have reefing cringles in your main?

Take a look at those threads I mentioned. There's a lot to learn in there. And for the other stuff, you'll find all the help you need on this site. So keep bangin' away.

I have a C27 on a lake - so I feel your pain.

Old 11-19-2009

yes.. my mail sail has 3 reef points in it.

I have yet had to ( or thought I should ) use them yet.
I suppose you just use rope to lower the sail area?

Maybe next time there are 'too much' wind.. I will go out and get comfortable with more wind and waves... it is that time of the year..

P.S. - here he is again...
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
Maybe next time there are 'too much' wind.. I will go out and get comfortable with more wind and waves... it is that time of the year..

P.S. - here he is again...
Now that's a good plan! So far, I've been out in winds up to 40 knots on our lake, and that was pretty scary, even with a double reefed main (I have jiffy reefing). Up to 30 or so has been great, but over 35 I get nervous and just motor.

Being on a lake is great because you can push it in bigger winds without worrying about the waves. So it's a great way to learn to handle the boat in heavier stuff while mitigating the risk. But I'm sure I'm going to soil my foulies when I see actual big waves.

PS - For "Mr. Anger Management"...

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-19-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Alan,

Do as mentioned above, start with a small/er amount of sail on those windy days. "HAVE" a plan as to what you will do IF the wind is stronger than you thought, and what you would do IF you need to reduce farther.

You might find as mentioned above too, that a smaller jib works best/better, then again, also as mentioned, a main alone might be better. If you find your self preferably on purpose out in 30-40 knot winds, have the motor ready, an extra person/crew if you race, play with different sail combo's to get the best handling for your rig.

One night last summer, the winds were in the upper 20's with gusts into the low 30's, we pulled out a storm jib and used it with single, and no reefs to see how my boat did vs using a 110 and a single or double reef, or 110 alone. Then while playing out there, think about the worst thing that might happen, ie knockdown or equal, and plan for it, hopefully it will not happen with prudence on your part. Then again, I could go back to the mid 70's as a dripping wet 110 lb teen racing lasers, get to the first mark in 3-5th place, hear "STARBOARD" of course about that time a gust hits, over I go, then 10 min later I am in "last" place! smacky, can you take care of the firery tops to my head?

Any way, best thing Allan, go out and play, and see how things go, if they do not go right, come back, think.......OUCH......note to self, no thinking, hurts brain cell........anyway, stew over it, and figure out what you/crew could have done better etc.

marty
Old 11-19-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
smacky, can you take care of the firery tops to my head?

Old 11-19-2009

That feels a bit better......hopefully that is water and not a fuel drop....................BOOOOOOOOM................ ...........

we interrupt this message to to bring our condolences to the blt2ski family for his most recent blow up...............a moment of silence in his memory!
Old 11-19-2009

Well I have a roller furling so I have had to reduce sail because of gusts.

Something I have tried to work on..

Can someone double check my thoughts

Light Winds - blocks all the way up ( front ) to create a large pocket for wind
Normal Winds - blocks back some - less pocket
Heavy Winds - blocks all the way back - very flat sail.

Is my thought correct?
Old 11-19-2009

Alan,

I am assuming that you are talking about the jib carrs?!?!?!?!

You are correct to a point. Let me go a bit further in the explanation.

Pull you genoa/jib off the furler, take it home or to someplace you can lay it out flat. Find the mid point of the luff, ie the part on the forestay. From there, take a string and go to the clew, ie where the sheets attach. Now take a sharpie and draw a line on your sail where the string is out about 2' or so. Put sail back on furler.

What you want now, is when you are sailing, generally speaking, the sheet line should line up with the sharpie line you drew on the clew of the sail. The yes, lighter winds, a bit more forward. middlish winds, I'll say 8-20 or so, on the line, and heavier, you want the sheet to be back a bit. For my boat, I find the light winds, line up the sheet and sharpie line, 8-15 a bit back, ie 2-4" back for the carr, and over 15 or so, double distance, or about 4-8". Your boat may very well be slightly different.

This is where having line control carrs is really nice, you can micro adjust the carrs for best performance out of you sail. These are also IMHO more important for folks with furlers that cruise. As you furl the genoa in, you need to move the carrs forward. with line control, you pull on a line, carr moves forward, you might need the help of a winch, or loosen the sheet some, then pull, retighten sheet. With pin stops that most cruisers seem to have, you have to go forward on the side deck, pull the bleeping pin, and hope you can slide it forward a foot or so per jib reef. at least it is a foot or so going from a 155, to a 140 to a 130 on my boat! A 110 is about 6'ish feet forward from the 155, ie about 13' IIRc from bow vs 19' for the 155. I have also marked the foot lines on my genoa carr tracks. so I can set them as I change head sails too. You would want to do something similar with a furling sail, 6 wraps the carr is at 13' no wraps 15', 12 wraps 11' or some such amount for "YOUR" boat.

In the pic below, you can see the sharpie line dispite me having a carbon 155. you can also see that on this reach I am on, the carr is a bit back. ut being as I am on a reach into a start line, so be it, the carr is setup for the upwind start. If I was to stay on that course for more than the start sequence, the car would go forward some. Along with letting the main out some too, making it so I had less heel for this pass.

HERE is a link to how I installed my line control carrs.

Hope some of this helps.

marty