Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Flying a spinnaker on my 21' Victory "Reba's Liberty". I think it was a day after a hurricane or something because there were still strong winds/maybe gusts about on the South River in Annapolis.

Needless to say, we got heeled wayyy over and started taking water into the not-self-bailing cockpit (into the boat). I quickly released everything that was spinnaker-related, which worked. Afterward, we had a spinnaker streaming from the top of the mast like a flag on a long line. Got that down by throwing a line over it and hauling it down.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Wow. The most frightening and enlightening thread I've read thus far on the board.
Old 07-13-2010

Readyrod is on a distinguished road
Knock downs

Take a look at this website they got slammed a couple of times Once off Oregon Calif and again In Australia it's in the log pages Google Ascension at Sea
Old 07-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ReadyRod—

Just curious, but you seem to be pushing that website an awful lot—two posts...two mentions... what is your relationship to that site???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2010

grmitche is on a distinguished road
Years of racing on SF Bay I've got plenty of examples - but none more memorable than when I was asked to come help train some newbies on an Olson 30. Masthead kite - 20+ knots near the golden gate and an ebb. We rounded down very hard, spin pole in the water, etc, and the boat jibed. no one hurt but a total yard sale, people hanging on, etc. What was most interesting is that 2 of us with dinghy background thought we might have to get on the keel - we were on our side forever. The Olson floats nicely on her side - water doesn't get within more than 6" of the companionway. I'd say we were on our side, masthead in the water for a good 45 seconds before the main gybed and the boat popped up. Spin had floated up and was sucked over the upper spreader and was draped all over the rig. Took hoisting a guy to clear it all up.

I'd also say that the J29 and Express 37s both float high enough on their sides to keep water out of the companionways....

If you want some real fun, pitchpole an International 14 at full speed...
Old 09-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Nice! I've always wondered how my C27 would fare on it's side. The companionway looks pretty damn wide at the top. And I'm in the process of looking for a spi for next season, so it could very well happen.

Anyone had their C27 laydown? Did it stay "dry"?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-03-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Nice! I've always wondered how my C27 would fare on it's side. The companionway looks pretty damn wide at the top. And I'm in the process of looking for a spi for next season, so it could very well happen.

Anyone had their C27 laydown? Did it stay "dry"?
Smacky, I used to have a Catalina 25, and laid it down, numerous times (to see what would happen), until the rudder lifted out of the water. The water didn't come anywhere near the companionway. If I laid it down quickly, a couple of gallons of water poured over the gunwale, just forward of the winch, and, if I laid it down more gradually, no water came over the gunwale. This was on a small, inland lake, which was less choppy than a bigger body of water. The design of the C25 is somewhat similar to the C27.
Old 09-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Cool - thanks for the feedback sailormon.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-03-2010

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
I had a Catalina 25, and will never forget my first race.. Of course, I was not the captain.

We were so heeled over, i thought I would have to 'step out' onto the keel ( which I really never knew what they look like ".

Very scary stuff for a noobie. I laughed the entire time from fear and may have wet myself a little. haha.

I have YET to lay 'my' boat like that.
Old 09-05-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I had the boat start to broach in the worst possible location, poor conditions as the sun was setting. I had to sail into this location as my prop shaft has problems, causing huge cavitation in the following seas. As it happens, this would have occurred under sail or under motor - we sail, its what we do!

We were sailing into Mooloola River which has a narrowish NW/SE rock wall lined entrance. It was blowing 25-30 from the N and there was a 1.5-2.5m swell, exacerbated by the shallowing at the entrance - almost making it a bar crossing. There was dredging operations at the western wall, narrowing it further.

The sun was setting over my right shoulder causing large shadows. It was difficult to see into the troughs of the seas. So the wind behind was behind,and at the entrance, a swell was standing up on the port quarter. I was watching out for about 15 kayakers and a few paddle board surfers as we approached - not easy in the swell, worse in the failing light.

Right at the entrance, I eased sheets, spilling some air out of the genny in order to time the entrance on the back of a swell, some had been breaking across the entrance. At the right time, I cranked on the genny back on and then I saw 3 more kayakers, just in front, about to paddle across the entrance and right under the bow. They obviously couldnt judge my speed. I eased the genny back a notch to let him pass - I now couldnt compromise boat speed as I was committed.

As my concentration is on these 3, I didnt notice a larger swell which flicked us over to stb and the bow to port. I saw the eastern rock wall approach rather rapidly and fought the wheel. The boat responded well, we recieved a slap of water into the cockpit, drenching the cat. One kayaker had crossed in front was paddling as if his life depended on it. The other 2 stayed away.

So nothing broken or harmed, but a scare for us, the cat and the first kayaker. They have as much right to be there as I do, but its like playing on the freeway for them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.