Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fynbo View Post
I like Halekai36's advise but want to add one:

Do not place the Desitin next to the toothpaste. I did that when the kids were small, and trust me it just might be worse than a knockdown to grab the wrong one when brushing teeth.
I bring enough dry, clean, boxer brief's and cotton t-shirts to change 5 times a day when I do deliveries. I seriously bring like a back pack full of underwear. I also wipe my self clean with rubbing alcohol constantly. And cornstarch. I'll go to K-mart or someplace and buy bulk packages of white t shirt's. I also have two set's of fowl weather gear, So one is rinsed and drying below while I'm wearing the other. I spent a week in a pair of fowly's once, Never again.
I've had my spreaders in the water a couple of times in my Soverel 28. Once in the Yucatan Channel in a norther, The other in the Straits of Fla. 20 miles North of Cuba. Scared the bajesus out of me. If I was more experienced at the time, it wouldn't of happened. A lady my wife knew mistook superglue for eye drops one time. I work on a tug boat and once replaced a guy's shampoo with mayonaise.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2011
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road
great threads never been in anything like this stuff, 9' waves on lake Huron at night looking for Cape Hurd Channel, scared the heck out of me, eyes glued to my laptop and my compass
Old 12-27-2011
Randy Hines

would like to hear more knock down expirience, as i am moving up to a Allied Princess 36
Old 12-28-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrhines View Post
great threads never been in anything like this stuff, 9' waves on lake Huron at night looking for Cape Hurd Channel, scared the heck out of me, eyes glued to my laptop and my compass
When in sea's like that, I keep my eye's and ear's glued to the aproaching swell's. I say ear's because, at night, you often can't see them, but you can hear a breaking swell aproaching. I understand you were equally concearned about your position ( the great lakes intimidate me, never been out on them) I keep all ambient light to a min. I've never had a lap top out while steering, but it seem's like it would blind you. I assume your compass has I red light.
The 2 times I've been knocked down, I was, for one reason or another not paying attention to the world around me, for less than a few minuet's. I don't let it happen any more, 3 strikes and your out as they say. Does not the Cape Hurd Channel have an enterance light?
Old 12-28-2011
Randy Hines

Inexperienced and scared

My compass does have a red light, there are no beacons or lights on the entrance to the channel just a green and red cans, in the dark of night,
i was watching my position on fugawi on my laptop with Gps locater attached to a ubs port and taking my compass heading off that, on tiller steered Catalina 27 "no autopilot" i found the cans and got in the channel ok, but with out the laptop i never would have found it and ended up on one of the many shoals surrounding the entrance.
Old 12-28-2011
Randy Hines

The laptop also blinded me continually, holding it between my knees with my feet braced on the opposite seat. for hours i was stuck like this 3 hours out and 3 h
ours back, pissing in a cup and throwing it over the side, a lil seasick everything in the boat was on the cabin sole, running bare poles, my lil Yanmar 10 horse inboard diesel, cranked up to 3400 rpm to claw off the Cape Hurd itself as a southwest wind was trying driving me onto the rocks, it was gruelling, swore i would never go out again if God brought me in safe, and kept my promise right up until the next day.
I could see my cooler on the floor it had some beer in it, and as soon as i got in calm water of the channel i quaffed 2 down real quick to settle my stomach and nerves.

Last edited by randyrhines; 12-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterGod_1 View Post
Giulietta - Pardon my being a newbie to sailing, but with your experience, do you think a real bluewater boat would be my best choice for a new boat?
Okay - that's funny. Actually, don't EVER ask Giu this question! Were you around here when he was on one of his "old shoe" crusades? I'm telling you, it was an argument you'd never be able to win - because the rules would always change in the middle of the debate! Oh, plus I think he's omniscient.

Heh-heh.

This is a seriously killer thread. It's where I steal most of the best BFS stories. Speaking of...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-28-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdersegler View Post
Hi one and all,
I'm new here, and have just come accross this thread "Knockdowns", and thought that maybe my experience of an "Eskimo Roll" in the N.Atlantic would fit in.
Sailing in a 30ft, Murena from Bermuda to the Azores. We had 300 miles to go when we got cought in a cross sea and 9Bft, a very angry, frothing white wave (15 ft ) sounding like an express freight train hit us broadside and the world turned upside down. I was underdeck as it happened, the hinged hatch (stupid design ) opened up, the boards were washed into the boat with an awfull lot of cold, green sea water. " Oh ****, and now."
Nothing to do but wait and see. After some minutes I heard the freight train heading down on us once again, it hit us with full force and the world was the right way up, only the mast was now pointing in the wrong direction. To cut along story short, we were picked up by a container ship and taken to Canada.
bobdersegler.To the women of our land and the ships of our sea's, may the latter be well Capt'ned and the first well manned,
Oh yeah - this one's going into the BFS thread.

randyrhines likes this.

Old 12-28-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
would like to hear more knock down expirience, as i am moving up to a Allied Princess 36
You need to check out the BFS thread. Some really great stories in there.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
The laptop also blinded me continually, holding it between my knees with my feet braced on the opposite seat. for hours i was stuck like this 3 hours out and 3 h
ours back, pissing in a cup and throwing it over the side, a lil seasick everything in the boat was on the cabin sole, running bare poles, my lil Yanmar 10 horse inboard diesel, cranked up to 3400 rpm to claw off the Cape Hurd itself as a southwest wind was trying driving me onto the rocks, it was gruelling, swore i would never go out again if God brought me in safe, and kept my promise right up until the next day.
I could see my cooler on the floor it had some beer in it, and as soon as i got in calm water of the channel i quaffed 2 down real quick to settle my stomach and nerves.
I get it. I've used a chartplotter in recient years to get through places at night I would of in the past had to sail around untill first light. Glad you made it in. I've made simular promises and broke them just as quickly. It's funny how even a shook up warm beer will taste so damn good in a situation like that! Yet another story to intimidate me of the Great Lakes!