Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012

oldsalty is on a distinguished road
Re: Knock Downs

Many decades ago on my 1st boat--a 17' daysailer--I and 3 passengers encountered 20' breaking waves a the harbor entrance. I made it through the 1st but was "dead in the water" when the 2nd hit. We did a 360 the hard way which broke both the mast & boom--we were all thrown overboard. The harbor patrol took a heavy hit while trying to help us (the Sargent broke ribs as he was knocked to the bulkhead) The boat was totaled. The dredging of the harbor entrance started the next day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I guess I'm either very fortunate, or maybe very cautious. I've been caught in some really nasty storms while sailing in Chesapeake Bay during the past 6 years. Some with winds in excess of 50 knots and gusts to 65 got my undivided attention. I only came close to a knockdown once, and that was primarily due to being inattentive with the main sheet. Last fall, I sailed home in the midst of a severe storm, one that lasted three days, 50-knot winds, 6 to 8-foot seas. I was fortunate in that the wind was primarily astern, therefore with half the jib sheeted in that Morgan 33 O.I. went up the bay at speeds to nearly 9 knots. With the Morgan 33 O.I. under me, I'm fairly confident when sailing in some of the worst conditions. The boat is built like a tank, it doesn't point as well as my old 27 Catalina, but at my age, 71, I'm really not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Good thread,

Gary
Old 06-23-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road

So with three reefs in the main and I would assume a storm jib or partially furled genoa there would be minimal water bagged to prevent the boat righting itself when it was ready. But what would have happened if a strong gust knocked down a sloop with a fully hoisted main and a 150 Genoa let out with a thousand gallons of sea water now bagged in the sails? What would be my next step to help right the boat after ensuring the crew was safe? It's all hypothetical but I'm sure it's happened to someone out there.
Old 06-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
So with three reefs in the main and I would assume a storm jib or partially furled genoa there would be minimal water bagged to prevent the boat righting itself when it was ready. But what would have happened if a strong gust knocked down a sloop with a fully hoisted main and a 150 Genoa let out with a thousand gallons of sea water now bagged in the sails? What would be my next step to help right the boat after ensuring the crew was safe? It's all hypothetical but I'm sure it's happened to someone out there.
Blow the sheets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have had some severe knockdown over the years, we sailed for over 20 years in a very windy area. With white sails we've never had an issue with righting the boat once the gust passed or we'd rounded up again.

Once, we were 'pinned' with 4-5 feet of the mast in the water and the boat floating keel past horizontal (luckily flat water and nothing went down the companionway) In this case the partially raised spinnaker 'filled' underwater and, as it turned out, did this when wrapped around a shroud. Once we figured out why the boat wasn't coming up on its own (and retrieving our two wives who'd fallen out of the boat) we blew the spinn halyard. The boat instantly righted itself, but the several hundreds of pounds of water in the spinn in the rig ripped a spreader off. We got the main down smartly and motored home, saving the rest of the rig upright.

But with white sails we've had plenty of 'wipeouts' with no worries other than a lot of water in the cockpit. (btw 2 panicky people with buckets are very efficient bailers!)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-23-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

So, do the "wives" still sail with you guys?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-23-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
My wife actually likes a proper broach. Everything else is boring. That's why she's the Smackmomma.

Old 06-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Yes they do... but after that they quit racing with us.

But that was OK, because our 10/11 year old boys started to race with us then and that was one of the best things that could have happened. 20 years later they are still sailing, our son and his family are boat owners too.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-27-2012

ferrous is on a distinguished road

I had a bad knockdown last April at 42 degrees South in the South Atlantic after a successful eastabout rounding of Cape Horn. It was no fun and did about a thousand dollars worth of damage to the boat in just a few seconds. It was the last bad weather I had after a total of nearly five months spent in the Southern Ocean and an eastabout circumnavigation of more than 40,000 miles. Go figure. Neptune didn't want to let me out without kicking my tail a little. Ron Kirkendoll on "Ferrous"
Old 11-27-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrous View Post
I had a bad knockdown last April at 42 degrees South in the South Atlantic after a successful eastabout rounding of Cape Horn. It was no fun and did about a thousand dollars worth of damage to the boat in just a few seconds. It was the last bad weather I had after a total of nearly five months spent in the Southern Ocean and an eastabout circumnavigation of more than 40,000 miles. Go figure. Neptune didn't want to let me out without kicking my tail a little. Ron Kirkendoll on "Ferrous"
Okay - this sounds like a hell of a story. Do you have a write-up of it somewhere?