Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Knockdowns can be interesting... depending on what caused them. The last boat I was on that got knocked down was a J24 and it was a spinnaker broach that had us pinned to the water. I was at the mast working the spinnaker pole and saw the wind shift and head for the side I thought we'd get knocked down to...and ended up sitting on the lifelines up to my waist in water. It wasn't too bad as knockdowns go... I've certainly been in much worse.

I hope I never experience one my current boat, since a knockdown on a multihull is the start to a really bad day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
the start to a really bad day.
Don't you mean end.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, as long as the boat is still upright, the day isn't too bad IMHO...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-26-2008

fynbo is on a distinguished road
I like Halekai36's advise but want to add one:

Do not place the Desitin next to the toothpaste. I did that when the kids were small, and trust me it just might be worse than a knockdown to grab the wrong one when brushing teeth.
Old 02-26-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
fynbo - good advice, reminds me of my last "knock-down". After my wife and I were scuba diving all day off the Yucatan a couple years ago, I just stepped out of the shower and reached for what I thought was Visine - to get the red out - before our dinner reservation.

What I grabbed instead was a vial of Binaca . . . knocked me over so hard, I stayed on that bathroom floor, squirming in agony for minutes. Needless to say, I wore sunglasses to the restaurant.
Old 02-26-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
As far off topic as possible but hey I didn't start it.
My former mother in law told me of the story of misplaced KY and Preparation H - long before I knew there would be a 'tactile' difference between the two.

Too much information.

I did say former mother in law didn't I?
Old 02-26-2008
Telstar 28

Ouch... that must have hurt... considering what Binaca is made of... At least you didn't quaff the visine... that would have been worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
fynbo - good advice, reminds me of my last "knock-down". After my wife and I were scuba diving all day off the Yucatan a couple years ago, I just stepped out of the shower and reached for what I thought was Visine - to get the red out - before our dinner reservation.

What I grabbed instead was a vial of Binaca . . . knocked me over so hard, I stayed on that bathroom floor, squirming in agony for minutes. Needless to say, I wore sunglasses to the restaurant.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-27-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
FYI - Visine is worse than EXLAX... Storytime (because well I can and there is a LAS Vegas never to be bet)

I had a COB that after 280 days at sea, he discovered that his wife left him for a woman... This is 1990's (sounds old yeah)... He made the crew miserable.. Fire , flood, UFO drills - you name it - if he couldn't sleep neither could the crew...

This is after 280 days straight at sea no port..

Mind you - cooks are you best friends. They are rumor central, they know the crew, and most importantly they know you...

Said watch - getting coffee - within 5 minutes the COB is relieved of duty and on medical watch. Someone that got POED on his - ahem - I have to take it on the crew - laced his coffee with visine which is and oh my gawd - makes you piss out your arse like faster than a Kentucky derby winner...

Just keep that in mind...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 02-27-2008

rhedrick is on a distinguished road
Theartfuldodger

Just a quick question, when the second 40' wave caught him, what was his actual position to the wind - close hauled, beam reach, broad reach and also the position to the wave - heading into it, reach away from it? I find I am extremely curious as to the position of the boat in these types of incidents. I am also curious as to what the consensus is on what should be the boat position be when seeing a large squall coming - again, close hauled, beam reach, broad reach (assuming you have reefed the main and reduced the head sail or had rigged storm staysail). Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
rhedric...for a squall you see coming: sails DOWN and secured...engine on...pointed into the wind. As squall hits...forward gear only enough to maintain heading.