Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I'm not sure we even have squalls around here (PNW) compared to what they have in the tropics. Seems like the wind associated with our fronts comes up more gradual and then last longer and we've got lots of places to duck in behind an Island.
Wait until you get hit by one of those outflow winds in Howe Sound (or any other inlet). They can go from zero to sixty in a heartbeat. Not a lot of time to down sails. Fortunately there is not much sea associated with the wind because the fetch is so short.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog,
Wouldn't you want some sail to be able to have some control, so that rudder would work? I went through a nasty thunderstorm in LI sound some time back. I kept the smallest jib up and was able to kinda sail, with jib flapping and shaking..
Saw the squal coming from miles away, had time to take down sails and get dressed.. was not a pleasant experience to say the least.
Lightning was impressive, not a single boat anywhere, but nothing happened .
I was able to aim the boat where I wanted, but by the time the waves built up, the worst was over....
Old 02-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given the strength of the winds associated with squalls around here... the windage of the mast and furled sails is probably enough to give me enough speed to have steerage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2008

capriole is on a distinguished road
knockdowns

At the helm on a 67' steel hulled cutter rounding the "Horn", with storm force winds gusting hurricane force, we were taking most of the winds off the port quarter. A large rogue wave from the beam hit us pushing us over with mast hitting the water. Myself and the two cockpit crew were both clicked on and the crew slid aft to the transom without going over. Being on the wheel I felt the pressure of the very cold water wanting to cuase me to lose grip on the wheel force me over. While I was able to hold on there came another problem, that of not being able to breath. Fortunately the boat righted before I had to make the decision to let go and try for the surface.
Because the boat was prepared for this possible situation there was no significant damage nor injury. Although the experience was incredible it is onr that I would not want to do again. The preparation is the key.
Old 03-09-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Question, when rounding the Horn is there a known good route or way? Reason for asking is that Kim Chow is heading that way and will soon be rounding the Horn just wondering what his safe route might be.
www.kimchowaroundtheworld.com
Old 03-09-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I hope I never experience one my current boat, since a knockdown on a multihull is the start to a really bad day.

Or a good one, depending on your perspective.
Old 03-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Since we're counting, I probably have more knock downs than all of you. For nearly 10 years I got knocked down, dragged through the water, banged around, and thrown back on board, every day that I went sailing.

ON MY HOBIE CAT!!

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Here is my account....

Back in 1932, I was going around the world for the 5th time that week, in my 152 feet 6 mast triple keel Carbon Iron Kevlar 4 Hull Monohull Trimaran Cat, that time, I was crossing the Horn, in -30 ļF air, when the winds, blowing erratically from the East, at 92 knots and sometimes from the south at 102 knots, ice pellets were the size of Chevrolet cavaliers….. in seas that were at least, 78 feet high, and waves that were on top of each other, yep, that is how near they were in frequency, took me for a small ride...the sea was black, but the skies were blue…the clouds…were not there…..

That morning, after not sleeping for 200 days in a row, I brushed my teeth with haemorrhoid cream, and inserted visine in my butt, wearing nothing but a T-shirt a pair of flip flops and a wooden glove, so I was ready for the Horn….one more time….

I had crossed a tanker that was almost sinking and 5 life rafts form others that were attempting the impossible…but not me….I pushed forward….there I went…the cries of people saying “don’t go!!!!!”….”don’t go!!!!!”…I ignore them….after all I needed something to tell to the folks at sailnet….

At one instance, I was doing 45 knots boat over water speed, which was approximately 120 knots over the ground, when suddenly, my Starboard shrouds were immersed by a wave coming from Port side....that was not a knock down or a broach…no Sir…that was a “Knocroach”…it’s not having the rail in the water….it’s not having the shrouds wet….that was the real deal….I knew my time was coming…..my mast pointed straight down to the sea bed….the highest mast hit the coral banks 5 times, banging up and down, waking up a gigantic octopus that rolled his 10 legs (yes the famous Horn 10 legger octopus, a vicious killer)…..I realized the disarray in my socks drawer would take me a good 3 months to sort out….

The tool kit open and 200 screws were spilled on my boat’s floor….my paper plates, that I keep for MOB situations, broke in small pieces, due to the impact…..

Suddeenly, thru the thru hull huÁll that I had left open, due to my own fault, I saw day light…..I managed to push my way thru the 200 screws, and the socks…and made it to the light….I put my mouth in the hole and took a fresh breath of air….after all I was under water for almost 25 minutes now….my lungs were exploding….

Suddenly, at almost the speed of sound…my keel that had retracted, when the boat was upside down after 5 rolls, miraculously won against the gravity and, went up into the sky…the boat straightened it self……

I could see all gear was on deck, including my dinghy sea ray 200 HP tender, that I had forgotten to tie….I was scared, afraid, but luckily only 3 of my boxer shorts were missing…I had washed them the day before, as I left South Africa, and left them to die in my lazy back mast furling lines…

Suddenly ….

My mast hit the water again, this time rolling over the bow….I saw the wave behind me…It was so big it dried the sea bed…., the hawk that had nested on the top of hit, went down, at least 300 feet under water....and the octopus ate it….bastard…

I was knocked down...my boat spun 4 times around the boa….the ropes were tangled, the shrouds collapsed, the sheets messed up, looked like a fisherman’s nest...in one occasion 3 tuna were caught in my sheets........I was holding tight to the tiller, that I use to row my boat…I had carved my nails in the wood…my legs hurt from the force….I held for dear life, so I stopped thinking for a while, decided to majke some bacon and a toast, I only had time to put butter one side....when I was eating it half way, another wave came from the bow...it washed me over...I has thrown out of my boat, my life came in front of my eyes, all the while I was hearing a holiwoodesque song...I am sure it was Celine Dion singing Titanic music....

Suddenly, a whale comes by me, and kicks me....I was back on my boat, all this time, I managed to get only my T-shirt wet....

I kept rolling and getting knocked down and broached 32 times more that morning….finally all has an end…and the winds bÁlew a nice 60 knots 4 hours later, for only 50 minutes…so I hoisted all sails, and retured home….

That was scary…I have another story that is much worse than this….tell me if want to hear it….I don’t want people to think I am lying or exaggerating……really….

Does flipping an Optimist count as a broach or knockdown??? My son is very experienced….did that many times….
Old 03-09-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
"knocroach"! I think you beat me with that one.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
"knocroach"! I think you beat me with that one.

Look man...my story is true...ok?? I was sailing today in 90knot winds, and got knockroached 5 times, and that just before breakfast...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.