I could have raised my kids in a igloo if I started out befor they knew the differance...My life's path has lead me away from the water and now back again...but with teenage girls now anything more then a week or two on the boat is all the time they want to be away from friends , Soccer, Horses..etc..So my advice is dont plan to long or you may well be planning longer...
Did you ever check out the Rard's website?...The two 14 year olds are finally getting tired after 2 years and sounds like they would like to return home...
Edit to Add: I am on an 8 year plan for different reasons...
1) I know my kids dont want to go.
2) So I will stay and get them through collage and out of the house.
3) My Wife dosent want a full time boat life
4) So I will stay and finish paying off the house so she can have both worlds
5) I dont have a retirement
6) So I will stay and work 6 months out of each year to pay for 6 months at sea once we get there
If everyone was on board the boating life or my kids were 2-4-6 years old instead of 13-15-17 I would start the 6 and 6 schedule today...even if it was at the dock or local waters only...just to get them boat ready..