SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts

117K views 155 replies 88 participants last post by  alpinekid 
#1 ·
I like to have some paper charts in case the GPS charts go away. At $20 a chart, that gets pretty expensive on a long trip. It seemed like there should be some standard format, printable copies of the NOAA Nautical Charts on the internet, but I couldn't find any. So I made some. Here are the NOAA charts in .png format, full resolution:

http://xpda.com/nauticalcharts

#2 ·
Very cool...thanks for doing that. :)

Reactions: denby
#7 ·
Corrupted chart

Bob,

Great effort!

Regret to inform that:

12285_18 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7.png

------is corrupted.

I have d/l 3 times using dif browsers & d/l pgms to dif drives, and all are corrupted. That is the only one out of 236 that I snagged that was messed up.

#14 ·
Bob,

Great effort!

Regret to inform that:

12285_18 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7.png

------is corrupted.

Of course it's corrupt -- it's only 45 miles from Washington!

Actually, there is something strange about the original .bsb file. Maybe it's just a text table without any geographic data. I tried to read it with three programs and none would make any sense out of it. I'll post a message here if I get it working.

#12 ·
Simon, I was able to download it. I will bring a copy and your mail on Friday or Saturday, depending on when the package is delivered. If its too late in the day, traffic will be abysmal. If it rains all weekend, like its supposed to, I have next Tuesday free to go for a sail. Lets head out the gate and explore. Your boat or mine.:)

#13 ·
BF—

Did I ever mention you suck... :) So does Simon... we're bracing for more snow and below freezing temps... ;)

#15 ·
It gets curiouser and curiouser...

I have the NOAA Nautical Chart On-Line Viewer open in another browser tab. Chart 12285 is listed as "FOLIO SMALL-CRAFT CHART Potomac River-; District of Columbia" but when I click on it I get a page that says "Chart 12285 is not available."

In another window using Maptech Offshore Navigator Lite, which came in a book of charts for the northern Chesapeake, I opened 12285_8 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY.
On my desk I also have the NOAA printed chart collection:
FOLIO SMALL-CRAFT CHART 12285 Potomac River.

Comparing the Maptech and printed NOAA Folio with the files you converted to graphics I think I see the problem, and it is not yours.
:)

The description for the "corrupted" file is:
"12285_18 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7"

But inset 7 on the printed chart - which is indeed ST CLEMENTS BAY, is actually found both on the Maptech nav program file, and in your converted graphics as:
"12285_8 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7"

Notice there is one digit difference: 12285_18 (wrong) vs 12285_8 (right)

In the Maptech Offshore Navigator Lite program it appears that file "18" is a collection of notes that are on the map, and which appear in a pop up window when you put the cursor over a "See Note" flag. While that file is important for use of the BSB files in an electronic chart viewer it is not relevant to viewing the charts as simple graphic files. Therefor I think you can delete #18 from your site.

When viewing as a graphic file, the notes that are on the charts can be found in the same location as on the actual paper charts, since your graphics are a straight copy. Now, #18 seems to be a little additional help for when the charts are viewed electronically so that you do not have to leave your location of interest in order to scroll around to find the relevant note.

I'm wriing this around 4AM so I hope it makes sense. Guess I'll find out when I get up. ;)

Steve

#17 ·
I can't seem to open any chart---all I get is a little square in on the upper left hand side of the screen with a red X in it --- I downloaded 'Photomud' but still no results-- any help would be appreciated

#20 ·
Way cool Bob

Thanks...Now I can quickly access places when you east coast guys are talking about going here or there ...I have had very little knolage before..:) This will be fun Thanks for all that work... You computer literate types blow me away sometimes...

#22 ·
Thanks Cam

Thanks Cam...I went to bookmark it and was told..."Page already exists in favorites want to overwrite it"...I guess you have to have a brain to remember what the brain has in it...:eek:

Thanks for reminding me of that...:rolleyes:

#25 ·
There's a firm policy at Kinkos preventing copyright data from being copied. But these are Print-On-Demand charts, so there shouldn't be a problem.

But, I would guess that a full size reproduction would exceed the 20.00 cost of buying the orignial chart as published and printed in DC., especially from Kinkos - which is very overpriced and not water resistant. There are DIY printers there, but the largest format I believe is 11 x 17, not big enough for nav purposes.

#26 ·
If you know anyone with an Epson 4000 series printer, you can print the charts 20x24 or so. :) There are larger format printers, but they're usually industrial. I've got access, through my cousin, to an Epson that does 60" wide prints... but that'd be overkill. :)

#29 ·
I have successfully down loaded a chart to my pc and I can open it using the MS picture manager. But I can't print it. I get a message saying that there is not enough memory. I can't download any software (work PC), so I can't go that way. Is there any way to break up the Chart into printable sized pieces using Adobe or something like that?
BP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.