Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
The traditional vs. electronic nav thread is a complete volume that has already been done to death. (can someone post the link.....I'm too far in the bag).

Whatever your budget, think minimal with ease of replacement and maintenance. What will it cost you to get where you want to get, and maintain your lifestyle once there. Think worst case scenario, if that doesn't happen then you have more boat bucks in the bank to make it last longer. Don't get caught up in what the sailing mags say you "must have". But don't under do it.
Old 02-18-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
The traditional vs. electronic nav thread is a complete volume that has already been done to death. (can someone post the link.....I'm too far in the bag).

Whatever your budget, think minimal with ease of replacement and maintenance. What will it cost you to get where you want to get, and maintain your lifestyle once there. Think worst case scenario, if that doesn't happen then you have more boat bucks in the bank to make it last longer. Don't get caught up in what the sailing mags say you "must have". But don't under do it.
I agree, but this is not a trad vs electronic thread - though I feel it will likely turn into one in many repsects. It has to, I guess.

SD and Plumper,

I agree about the engine, but it has def been done without it. I feel the engine also adds the safety aspect of getting run over by freighter because you cannot get out of the way. We have ALL felt like that.

You could avoid ports that require an engine and opt to anchor in a safe area and do the rest by foot.

I know this is hard for most of us to fathom (believe me, I am the solar/electronic KING), but I am trying to really decide what is necc and what is not absolutely necc while still keeping some margin of safety. Of course, what that margin is varies for each of us... which is why this is an open discussion.

Good discussion so far.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I am heading out for the evening. Catch up with any replies in the morning. Thanks for everyones participation.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
OK...so take of the SSB and SatRadio. Buy a transistor SSB receiver for weather forecasts.
Add an EPIRB and keep a liferaft...many boats are found floating...and you don't hear about the ones that sink! You can rent a liferaft for passages or buy a used one or a catamaran.
If you are willing to say "if the boat sinks...I don't want to be rescued and will not call for help. Then skip them...but I thought this thread was FRUGAL/Minimal cruising...not death wish cruising.
Old 02-18-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
..but I thought this thread was FRUGAL/Minimal cruising...not death wish cruising.
HAHAHA! Funny.

- CD

PS THat lil EPirb just cost 700-800 bucks. And if you are dead set for a recevier, the realities just jumped a lot more than that.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
For me

even the idea of minimalist... is hard to do away with a 25 watt base unit VHF and basic running lights...We are talking 1 battrie here ...and one small trickle charge solar panel/controller to keep it up ( 200.00 )...

1) Ships dont see small boats..its our job to inform them were there..
2) Other boats cant see us without lights...yes kerosene has worked for ever but were not talking anchorage lights here were talking get em on be seen get em off type durations here... or for coming into a port...all very short duration activities...
3) I have yet to fall in love the the smell of spilled raw fuel or its dangers on a boat... A well placed, secured and vented battery is far safer for a single handledler then messing about with kerosene in route...if you want that for anchoring thats a whole different kettle of fish and I'm ok with that...

I think we have come to an age where trying to do with out the bare minimalist 12 volt system is akin to setting off in the wrong boat...

Some modern devices make our lives So much so less encumbered that doing with out is masochistic...to the expense of proving a point only..

A fully charged Group 31 will unofficaly power 16 hours of LED running lights and make 10-2 min 25 watt VHF transmissions with out a recharge spread over the time frame of a 30day ocean crossing...with no demands or attention from its owner..other then sitting quietly in its snug dry compartment...
Old 02-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD-

I never said I was against an engine... I'd agree that an engine can be considered vital to safety.

I'd add a survival suit if you're boating in colder waters... especially if you have a liferaft and monohull sailboat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
SD and Plumper,

I agree about the engine, but it has def been done without it. I feel the engine also adds the safety aspect of getting run over by freighter because you cannot get out of the way. We have ALL felt like that.

You could avoid ports that require an engine and opt to anchor in a safe area and do the rest by foot.

I know this is hard for most of us to fathom (believe me, I am the solar/electronic KING), but I am trying to really decide what is necc and what is not absolutely necc while still keeping some margin of safety. Of course, what that margin is varies for each of us... which is why this is an open discussion.

Good discussion so far.

- CD
I sail on a very basic boat. The only fitted electric things onboard are lights, VHF radio, sounder and autopilot. I have two 100 amp house batts and a 50 amp solar panel that keeps everything running just fine.
For portable stuff I also have three handheld GPS units, two handheld VHF radios, a 5W HF Ham radio in a dry box, a laptop and a 20 amp battery that I charge from a cigarette lighter type plug in. I use the 20 amp batt for my laptop and HF radio.
I also have a Personal Locator Beacon type EPIRB for when sh*t really happens. I spend my summers cruising between Victoria and Alaska, prefering the more remote areas. Besides a good sailboat (with an engine) and a practical dinghy, that is about all I need.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 02-18-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
First of all ...

I think anyone even thinking about crusing or going offshore should be required to participate in a cruising rally to Bermuda first. Preferably from New York. I think that should be required as a matter of law.

Kidding aside, I don't think you can do this in the way folks are looking at it. I think you first need to start with the budget. Actual dollar amounts. From there you make choices. One of those choices by the way could include working for another month or year until you have enough money to buy things you view as necessities.

Plus, unless you have more information on what the plans are you can't have this discussion sensibly either. That is, what you need to live on the hook and float around the Florida Keys will be very different than if you want to do the same thing in the northeast, or if you want to do it in the Bahamas, or if you want to cross oceans, or be in the Med, etc. Posing the question this way is like asking how much money does one need in life? You can't even start the discussion unless you also ask/know, "for what?"

And the notion of being unable to afford a handheld GPS, to me, means you can't afford to do this activity. No chance you can own a boat, go cruising, and live life if you can't afford $150 for an item that has been the single greatest safety improvement ever to hit the boating world.

Just my view. Don't mean to be a downer.

Old 02-18-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
I
And the notion of being unable to afford a handheld GPS, to me, means you can't afford to do this activity. No chance you can own a boat, go cruising, and live life if you can't afford $150 for an item that has been the single greatest safety improvement ever to hit the boating world.
Nicely put! Kinda like not being able to afford a watch.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.