Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008
S/Y Tosca

ashley_nathan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ashley_nathan
visiting eastern seaboard

We are an English flagged liveaboard boat and should be crossing from Europe to the Carribean next winter, we then wll spend a few months before heading north and wish to spend winter 09 in New York. Then head into the lakes Spring 2010. Can anyone please recommend ports of call on the way that are not to expensive...we will be anchoring whenever possible but would like to find a berth/slip for winter in newyork. I seem to be having trouble finding somewhere suitable. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Many places on the Chesapeake Bay would suit your needs. It's located on the east coast between Maryland and Virginia. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Ashley Nathan --

As I'm sure you know, you'll want to be out of the Caribbean by late May. Many boats come north in late April stopping in Bermuda and then crossing to the East Coast. Another option would be to leave the Caribbean basin somewhat earlier, track downwind to the Bahamas, cruise there for a while and then come north using the Gulf Stream. The entire East Coast is vulnerable to hurricanes between June and November (with the highest frequency between late August and October), but the further north you are in summer the more time you have to prepare (or run and hide) should one come along.

As mentioned above, the Chesapeake Bay is a good cruising ground, as is the coast of New England from Connecuicut to Maine. Maine is best later in the summer (less fog) and is one of the world's best, easily accessible cruising grounds. You could spend the entire summer there and not come close to seeing it all. Both Chesapeake Bay and the NE coast are no more than a few days sail from NYC and you could probably delay your arrival in NYC until late October or even early November to save some money.

I have no personal experience with NYC berthing, but I think you'll find it comes dearly (your strong currency will take away some of the sting). Unless your heart is set on living in the city, there are numerous marinas along the coast of Connecticut where you could lay up afloat for the winter and you'd be less than an hour from NYC by train most anywhere west of New Haven, CT.

As you may know, winters in New England can be very cold with long spells of frigid temperatures -- unlike the UK, in winter the Gulf Stream seems to bring more moisture (often snow) to NE than it does warmth. The Chesapeake Bay area generally has a milder winter climate that may make living aboard more comfortable. You might also consider coming north for the summer and traveling south down the coast for the winter (to say North Carolina or South Carolina), and then return north again in the spring. It would probably take you two or three weeks of casual cruising in the Intercoastal Waterway to make the trip one way. (There are draft and mast height limits in the ICW). Offshore the trip from, say Charlestown, SC to New York would be perhaps a week plus or minus a day or two depending on the weather.

Fair winds...

PS -- I plan to be in the Caribbean next winter. Should we share an anchorage, I'd be happy to expand on any of the above....but only if you supply the grog.
Old 02-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ashley...if you plan on living aboard or storing in water...then you do not want to be in New York. The water can get quite hard there in the winter!! I second the notion of the Chesapeake as a better alternative. If NY is a must...then check out Liberty Landing Marina on the Jersey side with water taxi service in to NYC. Here is their rate sheet. Bring your woolies!!
http://www.libertylandingmarina.com/marina/rates.php
Old 02-18-2008
S/V PARAGON

ericfremont is on a distinguished road
The Chesapeake Bay has ample cruising grounds with infinite anchorages.
Old 02-19-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Ashley, I sent you a private message. Check it out and reach out to me if you need help. I live and sail out of the NYC area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2008
S/Y Tosca

hi Dan,

I did put a reply back to you privately but after a longish message when I went to send it, I couldn't because I didn't have enough posts - needed 10 only had 7!!! and now its lost in the ether somewhere...never mind.

ashley
Old 02-19-2008
S/Y Tosca

hi guys, thanks for your responses....very much appreciated.

Our plan is roughly to leave the Carribean by end of May 09 and head north towards New York for winter then leave and head north into the lakes and Canals to Chicargo then head south through the canals and rivers to New Orleans, then continue to Bahamas then down to South America back up and through Panama. That said, we dont know anything about the ins and outs of it all yet. We are a 37ft ketch with 2m draft (6.6ft) and mast height of about 18m (60ft). So we still need to find out about bridge and depth limitations.

We have spent the last 5 years cruising the Med with its warm winters and I know it may sound weird but we are looking forward to a cold one! So we thought New York would be a great place to spend time sightseeing etc and looking at the slip prices
(Lincoln Marina) it seemed cheaper to stay 6 months during winter. We would be more than happy to stay somewhere within an hour of NYC by train, but not in the middle of nowhere with nothing do do or nobody around, also need to way up the cost of travelling in and out of the city, sometimes it ends up costing more in trains and ferries or taxes than paying the higher slip charges and being within walking distance... The problem we have is that we do not know the area or the city at all. I've visited a couple of times but not enough to know which, where or how to get a berth for winter. So we will be relying on word of mouth and recommendations. Ideally we would get somewhere close within the city thats not too outrageously expensive. I have looked at Liberty - thanks Camaraderie and filled in a waiting list form. I also found Worlds Fair and 79th st boat basin marinas - are they government owned and operated??? and if so how do you go about booking one?? Are they in bad areas? ie crime? close to the city? etc Are there any others not widely known about?. There is a similar thing in Spain, government owned ports, and they are better located and less than half the price of private marinas. Is it the same in the States?? if so we would really like to hear more about them!!!
Another consideration is that we have a small Jack Russell dog, he's no problem for us but do marinas have issues with pets, only problem he might get into trouble for is - he cocks his leg up over the side of the boat and pees in the water!!

look forward to anything help or advice you guys can give us

regards
ashley
Old 02-19-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Smart dog! How'd you train him to do that?
Old 02-19-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Ashley - it sounds like you are talking about doing the Great Loop/Great Circle route. It's more oriented towards trawlers and powerboats as there are many places you would have to take your mast down for extended periods of time, but it's supposed to be a pretty unique way to visit the US.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.