Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Cruising the San Juans-Puget Sound

Sometime this summer I am going to take a six day sailing course in the San Juans that will lead to a bareboat charter license. What I really need however is a way to convince my wife that the joys of sailing in the San Juans and Puget Sound is worth the cost and expenses of buying a nice cruiser. Anyone have any thoughts on a good time to take her on a cruise and the itinerary in the mentioned areas. I do not plan to use my license to charter a sailboat for this purpose. She will either attend the six day course or I will later take her on a cruise run by a cruise company. Any related suggestions would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Weather starts getting real nice in July and August. Late August you're apt to run into some fog. Several charter companies in Anacortes have suggested intineraries. It really depends whether you're the type that runs from marina to marina or anchors out at the state parks. If the mrs. is warm and dry, she'll be a lot happier.
Old 02-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You can get some nice days from may until late sept actually. But a bit colder in the later.earlier months.

Where you go, or want to go, depends upon you. My spouse likes going to tent malls, if you will, ie sat/sunday local farmers markets etc. Different places have those near the marina. The couple that owned my boat originally, liked to take family while cruising, and see whom had the best Ice cream shops near the marina. Kingston won that spot. Roche had a nice local tent mall near the marina last summer. Kingston on saturdays has local farmers market too.

A lot does depend upon how you and spouse like to travel etc. Some locals like stripped boats if you will, ala a J105, then when they stop, hit a local B&B to spend the night, or someplace like Rosario resort or equal, instead being on the boat. many ways to to do things.

Marty
Old 02-21-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
We always take

our 10 day vacation to the Gulfs in mid to late august...it is always warm and sunny...HOWEVER..the wind dies down this time of year ( our Doldrums ) so bring your big sails....
Old 02-21-2008

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Sucia

Take full advantage of the numerous state parks in the San Juans that are islands with well-anchored mooring buoys. My favorite is Sucia. Don't miss it!
Old 02-21-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I love it out here. Just plan your trip around the tides when ya come. Proper planning can make the difference between getting somewhere in fours hours or eight.
Old 02-21-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about the commercial operations but we are planning some cruising in the area this Summer. We sailed up from Hawaii last Summer and are now in Friday Harbor. It shouldn't take much convincing once she sees the beauty of the San Juans and the Channel Islands. Stop in and say HI if you like. Any excuse for a day on the water. Aloha e komo mai.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 02-21-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: addaline
Old 02-21-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
That last part

means you bring the beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
I don't know much about the commercial operations but we are planning some cruising in the area this Summer. We sailed up from Hawaii last Summer and are now in Friday Harbor. It shouldn't take much convincing once she sees the beauty of the San Juans and the Channel Islands. Stop in and say HI if you like. Any excuse for a day on the water. Aloha e komo mai.
Old 02-21-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
You can see photo galleries from our two charters in the San Juans:

2006 Trip

2007 Trip

One my of favorite anchorages was a stern tie in a small bay on the south end of Lummi Island. So quiet...

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Last edited by Jim H; 02-21-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2008
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
means you bring the beer...
Goes without saying