Am turning 50 and need to prove to the world Im not an old fart ...yet - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008

db27513 is on a distinguished road
Am turning 50 and need to prove to the world Im not an old fart ...yet

So the plan is to take my new-to-me Catalina 30 from New Bern NC to the FL Keys. I want to actually sail some, so I will be attempting to go on the outside as much as possible, yet stopping in at wifi enabled marina's to continue doing my work so I dont need to use all my vacation. Departure is October/November this year. Am going mostly solo, but with a few (nonsailing) friends & families joining me along the way.

Having just sat down and started planning, Im realizing the immensity of doing this.

2 questions I have at this stage of planning:
1) Cruising guides - anybody have a favorite for the US east coast? I'll need to know which marina's are wifi enabled, something that is relatively new, and have not seen in most

2) Weather - havnt looked into this, so Im clueless.. is one of those custom weather services warranted? Cruisernets?

Thanks in advance
Dave in NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
And what's so wrong with being an old fart?

You might want to look into wireless internet through a cellphone provider if it's important to your business. While most marina's nowdays are wifi enabled, doesn't mean you pick it up where they put you. With the cost of marinas, especially in FL, you'd probably save money using wireless internet and anchoring out.

Skipper Bob's Guide to Marina's, as well as for Anchorages. Should be able to pick up both at Inland Waterway in Oriental. I also use the Dozier's Waterway Guides.

If you're connected to the internet during your travels, you can get all the weather you need.

As for sailing outside, that can be iffy till you reach FL, unless you're planning on overnight passages.

Good luck with your plans!

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Turned 50 last March

Your doomed man......you are an old fart

Last edited by Stillraining; 02-21-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
You have to prove you are not an old fart - according to whom? Can you remember turning 30? What a big deal that seemed. Just enjoy what is within your capabilities whatever they may be. If they include this trip then seems like some planning is required as it doesn't seem your crew will be much help.
Old 02-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The Beez gves good advice. The one addition I suggest is the Dodge guide to SE US Inlets...that will get you in and out of all the ICW inlets with excellent chartlets, photos and waypoints.
Old 02-21-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Also, the end of October in New Bern, is the Southbound Cruisers Rally. Not sure how the goings-on with the Sheraton docks will affect that, but a good place to meet up with people heading south.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-21-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
At the grand old age of 47, I'm not anywhere near old fart age. As to proving it to the world doing a cruise from NC to Fl doesn't prove it; my neighbor just went Annapolis to Key West (where he is still hanging on a ball). He's mid 70's.

Second beezer's opinion re: wifi vs wireless. If it's for love or money wifi is not the way to go, get a wireless card and subscription service that meets your needs.
There are a couple of good threads here on sailnet that talk range, availability, equipment and costs. Simply search for them and all will be revealed.
Old 02-21-2008

sailortonyb is on a distinguished road
The first thing you need to do to prove you are not an old fart is lose the gold chains and the sports car. They are a dead giveaway.
Now back to your trip. ....
The Catalina 30 is a great boat for single handing. I have done a few of what I call 'long' solo trips. To me long is defined as 800 to 1000 miles round trip. They were all on the ICW in the Gulf of Mex. Did both the inside and outside routes.
AS someone said earlier ....look into AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless internet. I have had both and still use Verizon. Worth every penny.
Next, I would seriously consider a HAM radio. Look into the Mariners net on 14.300 MHz. Also they post you on Shiptrak.org. Every one on land will always know where you are.
Before I left, i made lazy jacks and also removed the wall drop down table and installed a pedestal mounted table that will drop down into a bed. I built a small bench seat against the bulkhead to give me a 'U" shaped table. Inside the bench seat I added two more house batteries and an inverter.
Made other small mods also.

I was 55 at the time I made my first long solo trip. Had about 6 years of sporadic sailing experience at the time.

Have a blast

Tony B
Old 02-21-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

Speaking of age, I cast off the docklines in Texas last year at 57. Went as far north as Annapolis, and am now at Boot Key Harbor (Marathon), FL. Age really is just a number if you have your health.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Age really is just a number if you have your health.
Trust me, coming from someone who doesn't have his health, you don't know, how true a statement that is.