Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
South Shore of long island has nothing suitable to pull into without local knowledge once past Shinnecock...and that ain't great. You can anchor around Sag Harbor before jumping off but I would not count on being able to pull in anywhere till Cape May on that route as there are NO all weather inlets. Anticipate 3 days at sea or go through LI sound for nightly stops.
Old 02-22-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
You mentioned you had three sails. You might consider adding a smaller headsail to the inventory for when the winds get up. I doubt the 150 genny works very well when it's heavily reefed. Also, with a limited sail inventory, you'll want to make sure they're all in good condition (as was pointed out in one of the posts above).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention the 130 also but probably still to large in a blow. Is Sandy hook NJ a possibility for anchorage? I draft 5'3"

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Old 02-22-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
George,

If you are anything like me, you will love traveling south on the ICW. Everyday is different, the scenery changes constantly, and you'll always be close to "civilization" if you need it. Anchorages abound and you'll occasionally run across free dockage (Elizabeth City, Southport, Myrtle Beach). This will also be a great shakedown cruise for you and your vessel.

Like me, being a 60 year-old singlehander offers its own set of challenges. I've been singlehanding my Hunter 30 off and on for the last 7 years and two things most concern me while singlehanding.

Anchoring. I've been anchoring out almost forever and I've got a pretty good routine established. What I don't like is having to go out on deck to manually raise the anchor in rough conditions. I would love to have a windlass to help do the heavy lifting, quickly. Repeated trips to and from the cockpit to move the boat forward, is not the best situation.

Deck work. Anytime you leave the safety of the cockpit, you put yourself at risk. Whether it's falling over the side or taking a nasty fall, singlehanding requires much more concentration on your part. For this reason, when I'm alone I always wear my inflatable life jacket and clip my harness to the boat, even in the cockpit.

Another thing, assume for a minute its a nice quiet day, you've got the anchorage all to yourself, and you fall overboard. With your stern ladder tied in place and your dinghy still strapped to the deck, how do you climb back aboard? For this reason I secure my stern ladder with bungee cord so I can pull it down if necessary. The point I'm trying to make is that without a partner, you have to stay focused. As you think about scenarios like this, you will develop a series of behaviors that will help keep you safe.

Finally, crossing to the Bahamas is no big deal, provided the weather conditions are right and you invest in good charts and a gps unit. For me, this was actually my first real overnight sail out of the sight of land. As a singlehander you will give repeated thanks to your autopilot. I suggest you buy an egg timer so you can catnap for 10 minute intervals during your crossing. I was surprised by how many things there are to run into in the middle of the Gulf Stream, especially when you fall asleep.

My last advice is to take your time, wait for the right weather windows, and leave your schedule book at home.

You're going to have a blast!!

P.S. I can only hope that your Admiral enjoys the cruising life more than mine (now ex-Admiral) did. Cruising alone wears thin after a while.
Old 02-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayton View Post
Is Sandy hook NJ a possibility for anchorage? I draft 5'3"
Yes...definitely...there are marinas in Atlantic Hichlands behind "the hook".
This is a good place to wait for the right weather before heading down the Jersey coast. After that you have day trips to:
Manasquan...Atlantic City...Cape May...then you go out the back channel from Cape May and catch the tide up the Delaware Bay to the C&D canal and into the Chesapeake.
Old 02-24-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Lot's of good advice above - I'd just add: practice single handed reefing (and practice and practice) and jacklines/harness all the time. Buzzards Bay to Cape May can be a long tiring beat against the SW and you're crossing a heavy volume shipping channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 02-26-2008
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post
Lot's of good advice above - I'd just add: practice single handed reefing (and practice and practice) and jacklines/harness all the time.
I agree with this 100%. Practice makes reefing a lot easier when you're stressed. And it seems to me the easiest way to kill yourself sailing singlehanded is to fall off the boat. That's a scary thought outside the ICW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I now I have more direction in helping me establish my float plan as well as the important upgrades and additions. I will be bring my fiberglass dink and intend touse a three point lifting harness with a halyard and spinnaker pole as a hoist. I havnt located any suitable deck chocks fo securing thr dink to the foredeck.

Is anyone aware of a straightforward solution?

Thanks

George

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Old 02-28-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
George-
On a 30'er a set of deck chocks could also be called "tripping obstacles". You might look at flush rings or other low-profile hard points that you could recess into the deck (or at least, that folded flat against it) and then use conventional webbing (like cargo straps) to lash the dink down into them.
Old 02-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wichard makes some nice fold down padeyes that would probably work quite well and are fairly easy to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
George-
On a 30'er a set of deck chocks could also be called "tripping obstacles". You might look at flush rings or other low-profile hard points that you could recess into the deck (or at least, that folded flat against it) and then use conventional webbing (like cargo straps) to lash the dink down into them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.