Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are taking legs of your trip this summer with 4 boats from the Patapsco (Baltimore) area of the Chesapeake to Mystic. As others have advised the beat down to Cape May will take 3 days on the outside route due to the prevailing onshore breeze. I have done it a few times and not single handed either. On our trip up we are doing Chesapeake to Cape May to Block Island on the outside, Comming back we are doing the LI Sound and anchoring in New Groton, Essex, Liberty Marina (by the Statue of Liberty) Manesquan, Atlantic City, Cape May and then up the Deleware.

The advice about the New Jersey inlets is spot on. The three I mentioned, Manesquan, Atlantic City, and Cape May are the only really good safe ones. The others are trecherous at best

The advantage of this route and then 40 miles day trips down the Chjesapeake to the ICW is that you will have places to anchor and explore even when you hit some tough weather days. October has usual weather systems pressing through every 2-3 dyas vs the summer. We have had some of our best NW wind runs for distance down the Chesapeake in October, and that time of year the scenery in the rivers here at leaf turning time and bird migration time is outstanding not to mention to power boaters for the most part have put away for the year. Enjoy the day sails on the Chesapeake as once you hit the ICW it will be a long motor boat ride. Feel free to PM me for anchorages or info on the Chesapeake

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-28-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sounds like fun George

Good advice from all as usual. I have seen the South Shore of LI inlets from the ocean and they can be quite formidable at the wrong tide (as I suspect the NJ coastline is as well). Mini races with 10' and higher waves. I have also gone down the Sound and through the East River and although I am sure it is a longer trip than going outside but you can find places to anchor and marinas along the way to duck in to if necessary. I have also sailed on the Chesapeake a little which is as safe as the LI Sound if bigger and a lot thinner. This is a trip that sounds like fun so if your relatives and friends crap out on you I might be interested in a leg or so of this trip as crew if I am still prematurely retired when you depart next fall.
My boating web page: Odalisque - Home Page

Everybody has one:

Old 03-03-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
The advice has been a big help in planning a safe route. In reviewing the LI charts it looks like on the outside either Manasquan or Jones inlet are deep enough for my 5'3" draft and well placed for day hops to the NJ Shore. It would save me about 2 days. Not that Im in a hurry but Ive seen enough of Manhattan & Queens from the ground. Are these two inlets dangerous entrances? Caleb have you sailed them?

I might take you up on that crew offer if your are still retired. It would be nice to have company on that part of the trip. Perhaps we could go outside to Chesapaek with watches. Send me a PM and we can discuss posibilities

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Old 03-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Manasquan is a decent but narrow inlet and good in most conditions. Jones is dicey, strong currents and shifting shoal channels. If you go around Montauk the ONLY route that makes sense is offshore to Cape May.
Old 03-06-2008

seadaddler is on a distinguished road
gclayton

I might be making the same trip in late oct in my hunter 36,
still in the planning stage.
I will be spending most of the summer cruising around Long Island sound,Block Island,Newport getting crew ready for the trip,My home port is Greenport.
Old 03-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're both doing this trip in October, it might be a good idea to buddy boat... if your schedules are compatible.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
Seadaddler

Buddy Boating sounds like a good idea if our trips coincide.

I expect to leave NH after the second week in Oct. Weather permitting I could see Block Island in 2 days.

Based on the great advice I have received from this thread from that point on if I have crew Ill go outside to Chesapeak or without crew Ill go LI Sound on to Cape May

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Old 03-07-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayton
Not that Im in a hurry ....
Sometimes easier to say than do, particularly when you're new at cruising.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-09-2008

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
camaraderie vbmenu_register("postmenu_269970", true); said. Please explain the Why of this statement ?
"I am pretty confident you won't make it to Domenica in a C30...but you'll figure that out yourself along the way."
Old 03-09-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
charts for the bahamas

I have not seen anyone mention charts. If you are going to cruise the Bahamas, the ONLY charts to use are the Explorer Charts. They come in three books, and all the way points are spot on. And DO NOT rely on your chart plotter when navigating the Bahamas. I have seen too many boats go aground, blindly following their chart plotters and not looking overboard at the color of the water; especially on Witches Point south west of Marsh Harbor on Great Abaco. One friend went aground there when we were buddy boating with him. When I went aboard to help him kedge off, he showed me that his chart plotter had him smack in the middle of the channel; but one look overside and one could see that the water was too shallow.

As for going on down the Jersey coast, Manasquan can be dicey. Also, If we have a forecast for 2 days of a westerly or northwester when leaving Cape May, we always just go straight down the Delaware coast directly to Norfolk. It is two days and a night sail. (do you have an auto pilot?) Once in the ICW, the trick is to RELAX and enjoy the trip. Don't push it as it is a fun trip in and of itself, only if you don't look at it as a delivery; but, as an adventure. Besides Skipper Bob's Anchorages on the ICW (as Camaraderie recommends) get the chart book and a highlighter and highlight each buoy as you pass it. That way when you need to do a quick check of the chart because you are not sure what you are looking at ahead, you will have a quick reference point. That will be especially useful as you will be single handing.

We always cross over to the Abacos from Lake Worth Inlet in Palm Beach. We wait for a good forecast of a southerly to westerly breeze and we leave at about 10 pm so that we arrive on the banks at 7 am and then continue on to Great Sail Cay so we don't have to put in at West End and pay a marina fee. Also by leaving at night, we can sail even if we are not making good time. If you leave in the early AM to do a day passage, you have to push to make it to West End by night fall.

Good Luck and Oh Yes, definitely come down the LI Sound and stop in the Norwalk Islands or the Five Mile River and we will arrange a mooring for you for the night.