Shark fishing while Cruising or otherwise. (experiences) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008

Jonesee is on a distinguished road
One of the easiest ways to catch one is to butterfly filet a smaller previous catch, run a hook through it and drop it in deep water and wait. Once a shark hooks up, you will wear yourself out bringing him in, but don't try to bring him aboard. Few charter captains will even try to bring a medium or large one aboard. Have fun bringing him in, and then cut the line. Serioulsy the fun is in catching. If you were to bring it aboard the thrashing can tear up alot of equipment and hurt someone.

I realized I didn't answer the original question so an edit is in order. To catch them, use very large hooks, when you see a shark hook you will know it. Use a stainless steel leader to prevent break-offs. Drop the bait just off the bottom, set the pole but don't leave it. You will know when they begin to mouth the bait, wait till they begin to feed out line and give some to them. You want the bait deep in their mouth or swallowed. Then set the hook hard. Actually a pretty easy fish to catch where you are fishing. And no way will I go out in my dingy to help you retrieve one!!!

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-09-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Not shark fishing or from a sailboat but fun just the same.

Girls Saltwater Fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I caught two about 6' long one morning when stopped by chance in about 20' of water just using ordinary bottom fishing gear and about 20 lb line. It just takes a bit longer to play them. Although they are edible and often used for fish and chips under another name, I was only in a 13' so as i had no use for them cut them loose after bringing them to the boat. Stingrays are similar, can take 30-60 minutes to bring in, and while the flaps are good eating, there is no way I want that tail lashing around the cockpit. Besides I give away 90% of what I catch anyway, and release anything legal but small so getting a feed is not a problem.
Old 03-09-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
You and family look to have done alot of fishing. You even use technical fishing terms like ' bucktail" . What is that ?
It appears you are close to Fresh and Salt Water fishing??. I an not familiar with your area(but will see on web).
A bucktail is a saltwater fly made out of deer tail hair. Works for coho really well.

We fish when sailing because we don't have refrigeration. Fresh fish is the only meat we get. We throw the big ones back. We only keep what we can eat in a single day.
Brewgyver likes this.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 03-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many other flies are made with deer tail hair, but a bucktail is specifically a streamer fly made out of deer tail hair, they're made for both fresh and salt water though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
sydney777,

On BR we operate on the theory that if you drag a lure enough miles you'll eventually catch something. We catch something about every 1000 lure miles or so, usually mahi, tuna or wahoo. The biggest we've ever caught is shown below. Tackle consists of a hundred yards of the biggest monofilament line you can find, 6 ft of heavy steel leader (lures are expensive so you don't want to lose them), and about six feet of shock cord rigged to the line to take the force of the strike. When they hit, drag them til they're dead and then haul them aboard. No need to slow down or stop the boat.

Crude, you say? True, which is probably why we catch one fish per 1000 lure miles, but if we figure we're a sail boat, not a fishing boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Shark fishing while Cruising or otherwise. (experiences)-panama-transit-mar-06-128_resize.jpg  
Old 03-09-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
How to calm a freshly caught fish....

Here's a tip I learned in the Caribbean.... while hauling in the fish, have a crew member go below and fetch the rum. When the fish is landed and flopping arout the deck take a large swig from the rum bottle, swallow half of it and spit the other half in the fish's right gill flap. Take another large swig, again swallowing half and spitting the ramainder in the left gill flap. You'll immediately notice that both you and the fish have calmed down to the point where the fish can be dispatched and the hook removed without risk to the crew. See below
Attached Thumbnails
Shark fishing while Cruising or otherwise. (experiences)-dsc00054_resize.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008

belliegirl2 is on a distinguished road
Have caught shark from sailboat

While fishing for tuna or other more edible fish near Catalina island off the coast of California. Have hooked many sharks while fishing but normally cut the line and let the beast go. The thought of bringing a mad, scared chomping machine into a fairly confined space is a little scary.

Kind of equate it to bringing a pissed off pitbull into a small room and shutting the door.

Once we did bring a smaller one on board (blue shark). We shot it, cut it up and had it on the BBQ within 10 minutes, tasted fantastic.
Old 03-10-2008

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Authors. Table of contents. Collage of answers. Credits.

"How to calm a freshly caught fish.... "Looks like the Shark got ahold of the Bottle !
"Have caught shark from sailboat" "Kind of equate it to bringing a pissed off pitbull into a small room and shutting the door".!!!
"On BR we operate on the theory that if you drag a lure enough miles you'll eventually catch something".
"Many other flies are made with deer tail hair"
"I caught two about 6' long one morning when stopped by chance in about 20' of water just using ordinary bottom fishing gear and about 20 lb line".
"I have never caught a shark (or even fished for one) but I have caught lots of other interesting fish off the back of my boat." "Sailing back from Hawaii "

" I've had pretty good luck trolling with a Yozori (sp) lure in the gulf".
"Slice it about 1/4" thick, put it on a ball of rice with a bit of ponzu sauce. Yeah baby!"
"Here is my wife catching a salmon north of Vancouver Island".
"I often fish out of the dingy in and around the flats using white or gold tail grubs with 1/4 ounce head"
"
"I would be very hesitant to try and catch a large angry fish and bring it aboard an inflatable dinghy—especially a shark"
"When anchored a bit of chum should bring the black tips in, an easy catch using squid, mullet or any other oily stinky stuff" Whew !
"Once a shark hooks up, you will wear yourself out bringing him in, but don't try to bring him aboard".
"toss some garlic, lemon, butter, black pepper then wrap in foil and throw it on the grill "
Finally:"To catch them, use very large hooks, when you see a shark hook you will know it. Use a stainless steel leader to prevent break-offs. Drop the bait just off the bottom, set the pole but don't leave it. You will know "

Last edited by sidney777; 03-10-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Thats not a fish, its a crime scene.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic