Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
If I were you, I would check on crossing FL through the Okeechobee canal (if it is indeed still passable this summer)
Cruisers net said in short, if you draw more then 3.5 feet don't brother.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Cruisers net said in short, if you draw more then 3.5 feet don't brother.
Yes, I monitor cruisers net on the lake's water level. My draft is 2 1/2 ft with board up by book. It looks more than that, so I safely assume it is 3 ft.
Old 03-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Good luck. Sounds like you're a good planner, and you're asking the right questions.

Late April, May or June would be a good time in the Gulf. Not hurricane season yet, and good southerlies for reaching when going east (but slow when you have to go south along western Florida) but you may still get a few northerlies through May at least. But prevailing winds in warm weather are from the south or the east.
Thanks, I need much reassurance...

I don't mind going inside on ICW, and, I believe that my motor is in good enough shape to handle it. The thing worring me most is my low budget. Any real serious break down on ICW and Iím grounded for a while. I have CDL A license, I can drive about anything, and I can do any odd job, so Iím pretty sure that I can find a job fast. However I will loose a time. I want to get as far northeast as I can while weather is right. Hence idea if staying outside - somewhat it feels safer thereÖ

Update on anchors
I just trade in a box, full of books and old portable vacuum cleaner for 15 kg (33 lb) Lewmar Claw anchor. So I have 4 anchors, three are size or two bigger than needed and different types. I feel more or less safe now Project for tonight is to measure and mark all rodes with plastic ties.

Itís funny how little one can take on the boat and how hard to split with things. I have boat fully packed. I was throwing away, donating and trading in my staff last few weeks.

I plan to go over every locker and storage bean again this weekend. They are too full

Thanks everybody!

CR
Old 04-19-2008

I'm at Barataria Pass, Grand Isle, LA. It was long 12 days trip from Houston to Grand Isle, I'm one day away from Mississippi. I did it all outside, Starter died on third day on my motor, so I did most of the this part of trip using sails power. I spent two nights anchored on outside, normally I could find some inlet to duck into for the night. Area is sailable in daytime, I wouldn't try to do it at night. I didn't see single sailboat on entire strech of water. I believe I was local entertaiment - workboat's capitans were checking on me -I got very hospital night tied to workboat in Cameron and they spread the word.

Sailed into Barataria pass,because I need a motor to cross Mississippi. Drop an anchor just inside the pass, kayak to marina. I couldn't find any person capable of looking into starter problem. I took starter apart, shaked it, put together. So far so good, motor working, bateries are charging. Acctualy it is lost of electricity is most annoying. Solar charger and oars are in order

All is good so far. I learned quite a lot about a boat and myself...

Anybody taking dog sailing - It is not a good idea. However my dog adopted quite well after misereble first week. Today I was checking rudder/propeller - swiming around the boat. He couldn't stand me swiming and him sitting - jumped into kayak first and into water second and went to swim too...

Have a good day, go sailing

Vlad
Old 04-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Vlad...good for you! Safe travels!!
Old 04-19-2008

messenger is on a distinguished road
Vlad,

Time to get that motor dependable. You aint but twenty miles from Tiger Pass. DO NOT negotiate TP at night. And you have got to have power to get from Venice to Baptiste Collete. My gosh, this time of the year that river is RUNNING..it is only a couple of miles across to the entrance, and you will fly thru its opening, ten mile run and you are in Breton Sound. One nasty place during bad weather. Myself, I would provision for a straight shot to Egmont.
Old 04-22-2008

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
Glad to see you're making it OK. If you get past Oriental to Elizabeth city drop me a line.

dave
Old 04-22-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Vlad, i echo Messenger, if you've going to get past the Miss. River, better maybe to go outside the Passes (in daytime please), then continue on towards Destin or Panama City maybe.

If you try to make the very short crossing of the river between Tiger Pass/Venice and Baptiste Collette, you'll be bucking about a 5-6-knot current in the river for the one mile between the two. You would need to bum a tow from one of the workboats in Venice. The river's at record high stage for the next week or two.

Glad you made some friends in the oilfield. They don't see that many cruising sailboats, but they're good guys, as you've discovered.

Sounds like you've learned a lot, and much of it the hard way. May you continue to have more good luck than bad, and---good luck!

Sounds like you're learning a lot.

PS, edit. I looked at the date of your post, 3 days ago. I hope by now you're past what I described above?

Keep us posted when you can. Most of us are only sailing in offices somewhere, you're out there doing it..

Last edited by nolatom; 04-22-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2008
Master Rum Hider

Watermelon is on a distinguished road
Vlad,

Hate to bring up the Clear Lake area since you've already gone and it's a distant memory now. Where did you find used deltas anchors? I may need to pick up one or two for my boat the next time I visit League City. My choices are a little limited in the Austin area.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008

arenuiwaka is on a distinguished road
Having just finished most of the trip that is difficult can I say If you go outside go farrr!!!!!! I sailed about 20 to 60 miles off shore from corpus christi to calcaseu la. During my sailing I saw 5 unlit rigs and a pipe sticking about 5 feet out of the water, unmarked. I don't think it is safe at all. at least now all the big storms will be done and you won't have 20 ft seas at 9 sec or somthing even more uncomfortable. But I have to say I had a blast on the ICW you see parts of LA that very few do. and crossing the Mississppi is a trip. and right now New orleans municipal marina is free and NOYC yacht club is the most fun group of people I have met in a long time and the have cheap drinks. then you can sail from their on. Just my bit of advice I think the gulf sucks but when you get to pensacola the water is perfect. Their are alot of bays and lakes to sail through on the ICW route. Just my 2 cents. HAVE FUN!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.