Recommendations on multiple purpose radar/plotter/GPS. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have used (considerably) both combo & overlay units and the non-combo. The overlay is an excellent, excellent function. Your two options to have both up (radar and chart) are: Buy two seperate monitors or split the screen. SPlitting the screen reduces the functional size of both and two monitors requires room and cost.

Also, by putting either the chart or the radar on overlay you my realize or see things you might not have before. These may be buoys you thought were boats or likewise.

I personally use the Raymarine E80 system, with a 2kw radome. It is a considerable improvement over the older RL series. I have no problems with Garmin either, but prefer Raymarine (probably because I accustomed to it). The interface of that product to the other accesories is VERY easy, and you can do everything from radar, chart, XTE, color cameras, to watch movies (or so I am told... I have not done the last two - no interest).

You should just go to West Marine and play around with their models a bit and see which on e you prefer. I no longer feel one is better than the other. It all comes down to which one you like better. I will say that programming the Raymarine quick-push buttons for custom screens is a great plus and a lot easier than scrolling through the pages of the Garmin... but the Garmins may have that functio ntoo (just not the models I have used).

Regarding your boat choice, I have heard that the Cherubini Hunters were built better than the others, but have no first hand experience with that model. My experience with the others was not pleasant, so we will leave at that.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Reb...my bad...I was thinking Legend 375 not Cherubini which are much better built and should be up to the task if well maintained/upgraded as yours sounds it is. 6 aboard for that trip should be interesting!
Just for your "alternate" thinking...pulling in at Beaufort and heading up the ICW to Norfolk will take 3 days. You can go out of Norfolk to Montauk and CT in 3 more days.
Your plans for the radar/chartplotter as a "nice to have" addition to your redundant "must have" equipment is exactly reflective of my own view.
Old 03-14-2008

JohnnyReb is on a distinguished road
camaraderie, no problem! I was sincere in my quest to discover if there was a structural or other deficiency in the Hunter. In the first post, I was not clear on the model of Hunter. I sincerely appreciate your candor since you thought I may be placing my family in undue risk of harm.

Thanks for the advice on the ICW options. The more I think about it, the more I lean toward your plan. Even if there is no real threat to the boat or crew, why beat 'em up with the chance of being scared or seasick or bored as you watch one point of land slowly drift by..............
Did that in a Nor'easter that moved down the coast to FL. Watched the lights of Miami on a northern track for more than 12 hours. No real danger, just the boat and crew taking a beating.

Cruisindad: I will take your suggestion and head to WM this weekend to play with the buttons and flashing lights! Normally the staff sees me hanging 'round the boring stuff comparing the price difference in buying line by the bag or the foot, this block or that cleat!
Thanks for the input.
JR
Old 03-14-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
We have the Raymarine C120 with a 4kw radar. We love it. Prior to this we were Garmin devotees, and there certainly is nothing wrong with Garmin. The Raymarine is very eash to use, and is very intuitive. Plus, having the radar and plotter integrated is a HUGE plus. I know others disagree and have expressed the view that integrated systems give you risk of knocking out multiple systems with one failure, but overlaying the radar, or even splitting your screen, really makes navigating a snap. I suspect I'll never go without this type of setup again (subject to further technological advances of course).

On the boat, I think condition and equipment is more important than brand for a coastal trip like the one you're contemplating. Many "lesser" builds are less suitable in large part because over time portions flex, rigging is not sufficiently stout, ports/hatches leak excessively, deck leaks due to poor bedding has caused delamination/rot of the deck coring, compression post failure, etc. If your boat is well maintained, the rig is in good shape, through hulls in good condition, rudder and rudder bearings, steering, etc. in good condition, you should be fine. Likewise, it's more important that you sail smart. The best built boat will have trouble if you go around Cape Hatteras in the wrong weather, but a Sunfish can make it in the right conditions.

Old 03-15-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Please note in my post that I qualified my preference for separate radar and plotters/depth/AIS. displays with the ideal that they both output those displays to a PC or laptop screen...where the helpful overlap function can be combined or overlaid. I do not object to the practice (although it can make a screen quite cluttered), but to the idea of having a single screen to access multiple and discrete devices, which I think is folly. Same with the display at the helm...make it a "remote" if you wish, to the nav screen in a protected place where you can also use paper charts. Otherwise you are stuck at the helm in sometimes poor conditions trying to deal with information on the screen plus information from the environment, like the sound of distant engines, breakers or hard to see nav lights atop rocks.

And then the helm display shorts out, and you are rummaging for a chart tube and a handheld GPS?

No thanks. Better to keep this stuff out of the way. A boat in no sense moves so fast that you need constant "live feeds" anyway, and if it's bad enough to actively helm, it's bad enough to have the entire crew up and working on the nav while you handle the wheel.

Again, to reiterate: software will accomplish on a laptop (or a flatscreen in the saloon, if you wish) exactly the same integration of radar, AIS and plotting as on a "marinized screen" that, if it goes, will leave you blind in the electronic sense. That's why I'll have a bunch of little displays, one 7" radar at the helm, and a PC screen velcro'd in place to show me details as needed. If the PC goes down, I still have all the elements in place, without the glitz.
Old 03-15-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have at the helm the Raymarine C80 with a 2kw radar. You have the option of splitting the screen or overlaying which can be a great advantage as opposed to two seperate units. It is also linked below at the nav station redundatly to our laptop. I have no problem with Garmin or other units but chose the Raymarine due to my other instruments were also Raymarine and the Seatalk system was easy to integrate together.

As others have said I would think long and hard about doing the Cape.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner