Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Can I do This?

Revered Fellow Sailneters,

I was a member many years ago but lost touch. Can't tell you how much I've learned on here.....Thanks for that....but...

Assuming very limited sailing experience, but open to some abuse in the learning process....financial, physical, mental.....possibly even marital...

Considering singlehanding a $3,000 (semi-disposable) 30' Pearson or similar boat and doing Florida/Keys/Bahamas for next winter....probably 3 or 4 months with a slim budget ($6,000 for the trip). Only essentials are food and drink, and communications home.

I'm a decent cook and a great Carpenter/Electrician/Plumber....work possible?

I'm 56 and can't wait any longer to see more of this big marble than continental US. I did spend a couple of years in Central America back in the day (Navy).

I've learned more in my life by trying things that I didn't know I couldn't do.

Either shoot me or try to convince me I can't do this.....please.

Thanx, Willy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
If the boat is sound, the systems reliable, then I see no reason you can't. My budget for the year is 6k, so that should last, barring boat problems, for 3-4 months. With those skills, I don't think you'd have a problem getting work.

Best of luck to you.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A $3000 Pearson 30 is going to be questionable in terms of seaworthiness and safety IMHO, unless you're spending a fair bit of time refurbishing and repairing it.

A Pearson 30 or many other boats in that size range, should be more than capable of doing Florida, the Keys and much of the Caribbean, since much of the sailing there is relatively short inter-island hops rather than true bluewater passages.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
A "$3,ooo semi disposable Pearson 30" is not something I would want to try that in. In the absence of any other info about the boat I think you could easily become disposable yourself.
Old 03-15-2008
560kts sucks/7kts perfect

Sailpilot is on a distinguished road
Come on guys!

He's going to be in the Keys. If the boat doesn't work out... he can just walk to shore.

With that I will leave you with, know your navigation and how to read the water. Singlehanding, reef early. Strap yourself to the boat. It sounds like you are already a "self-reliant" person. The last part is... you get yourself into a S--sandwich, get yourself out (don't endanger others for your laps of judgement).

Some will tell you that they won't leave the marina with out this or that and this or that boat. SO Many experts! There are a few guys on this site that know their stuff and helped me in the past. (Cam you can step in now) Listen to them, but screen those that try to scare in order to portray their skill or knowledge.

Have a great time, if you end up in Jupiter (a little north) PM me and this Marine will buy a "Squid" a beer (12 pack).
Old 03-15-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Go....... If your healthy and can do it go! What is the worst that can happen? My mother's friend is 57 and she was just diagnosed with terminal invasive cancer that has attacked her whole body... and she just thought she threw her back out shoveling snow. There is no time like the present to do what you want. I'm gearing up to take my 2 kids cruising asap by myself because my land lubber ebay addict of a wife "can't imagine what she would do cooped up on a small boat with her own 2 kids for any length of time"!!!!! After all there is no tv to plop them infront of (sick)!! I had a Pearson 26 and if i didn't have kids to look out for i would have taken that south. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do... unless you want to do it in a sunfish
Old 03-15-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Should be no problem finding work in Florida. If you're willing to work for ten or twelve bucks an hour, you can find work easily. I've paddled my dinghy ashore and had two offers for work in ten or fifteen minutes. My daughter holds the record though. We pulled into Ft. Pierce about 11 years ago. She was 18 at the time. We were running out of money, as an investment we were counting out had gone further south than we had. We agreed that if we could find work we would all stay there and replenish the cruising kitty. She found a job before I was finished tying the docklines. The Tiki bar had a 'help wanted' sign and she picked it up and asked for the manager. They hired her on the spot. My wife, the famed Saltwater Suzi got a job in a surf shop. I became a boat carpenter. (with almost no experience.) Tiki bar's twin sister did canvas sewing. All within a few days. This is not atypical. We have always been able to find pick-up work when we needed it. The turnover in the marine industry in Florida is incredible. I once worked for a boat builder for about three months and when I left I was the senior employee by about six weeks.

As far as the boat size is concerned, you'll find out what it's capable of. As they say in Captain Ron, "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there!" Just be prudent. Count on the best, plan for the worst.

We met one family cruising on a 26 foot sailboat. Mom and Dad were probably in their early thirties, maybe late twenties. Had two little girls on board - age two and four. The two year old had been born on board. All seemed happy and well adjusted.

You will find, too, that people along the water are extremely helpful. I have lost count the number of times we have asked directions to the nearest grocery store, pharmacy, post office, hardware store, laundromat and been given not only directions but the admonition, "It's too far to walk. Here's the keys to my car it's the green one over there." Or, "Hop in, I'll take you there." And then they wait to take us back. Cruising has really restored our faith in mankind.

Damn, my quick replies always seem long. Sorry!

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 03-15-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Maybe I'm missing something here. A $3,000 30 Pearson! I have trouble believing that boat is in any condition for even a day sail. I'm not questioning his ability or self reliance, I am questioning the seaworthiness of that boat. Maybe if he added more specifics on it's condition that would help.
Old 03-15-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Actually there are many abandoned old seaworthy boats sitting in boatyards right now that could be had for very little $. The yard owners would be happy to see them go to make room for boatowners with more $! It all depends on how much work you are willing to do. I think a 3k $ P 30 is better than any boat if you are anchored off of a tropical island catching your own dinner and relaxing while doing it!
Old 03-15-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I direct you all back to my first comment....... IF the boat is sound, and the systems reliable. Doesn't matter how much it costs. All that matters, is it sound.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.