Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
La Paz to Puerto Vallarta

Hi,

I just bought a Rawson 30 in La Paz, the first sailboat I've owned since 1985. I need to sail her from La Paz to Puerto Vallarta. We will be leaving the first week of May. In addition to myself, I have 3 inexperienced crew and one good life long sailor to make the trip.

My question is: What kind of winds and seas can I expect from La Paz to Mazatlan? And then onward to Puerto Vallarta? Right now the winds seem to be primarily out of the south and south by southwest.

Thanks,

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really need to look at the coastal pilot for that area. Don't believe that they're currently available on-line yet though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
La Paz has a good cruiser's net with the weather, ch 22 at 8 am. Weather in LP is generally affected by the land masses and is not the same as the sea.

The most common route to PV from LP is to go inside the islands Todos Santos and Cerralvo to Bahia de los Muertos the first day. It should be a downhill run. Watch out. The wind between the mainland (baja) and the islands can get wicked, and may be as much as 4 times (or more) than forecast or observed in the sea. Stop at the Giggling Marlin (the palapa at the far right of the bay) for drinks. On SSB, Don forecasts weather at 7:15 pm std. mountain time 6.5160 mghz.

From there continue south to Los Frailes. From there you should have a pleasant broad reach to PV, about 60 hours or so.

With that route you can shake down the boat and the crew before you make the long leg across.

Expect winds to be predominately from the N to NW, although it seems to vary throughout the day. Seas will be in proportion to the weather.

Check out Baja California's Traveling and Living Online Magazine for daily weather and forecasts. Have a good ride.

PS, I forgot to add, if you're not familiar with LP, check the tide times. You want to go with the outgoing tide, and for gods sake STAY WITHIN THE MARKERS. The markers don't make sense, but it's the only way out for a keelboat.

Last edited by ianhlnd; 03-20-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

Thanks Ianhlnd! Do you think this is a better route than over to Mazatlan then to PV?
Old 03-20-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
That would work too, but Los Frailes would be closer. The problem with Mztlan to PV is usually benign weather, so expect to motor most of the way. Right now the wind is from the south here in Mztlan, remember it varies throughout the day, whereas if you run from Muertos or Los Frailes, you should be able to sail most of the way, the wind in the sea is generally pretty constant.
Old 03-20-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

Ianhlnd, email me, I have some other questions.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

Ian,
since I'm a newbie, I have to post additional times before I have the privilege of emailing.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
kccolbran-

You should be able to e-mail and PM now...it requires 10 posts...you've got 11 now.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.