Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Cost per foot, I don't understand

Sorry, as I am a new sailor, I am planning a summer trip. I'm looking around the internet and whenver I go to a marina's page, there is usually the cost per foot.

For example I just went to 79th street in NYC and transient slips are 2.50 per foot. What time frame is this for? A day? week? month? If it's for a day that's crazy expensive, because for a 25 foot boat that's 62.50. The marina my sail boat is at is 4.50 a foot, but that's is for a month. so it's 1 hundred something a month.

If it's really that much a day for transients what do you do? just anchor all the time?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2008

flatfoot is on a distinguished road
Yea, its expensive. From my brief experience marinas around the middle river on the chesa charge transient per day fees of approximately 2.00/ft slip + 0.25 kwhr (elec). and 1.00/ft mooring depending on the popularity of the location. Many are lower; my itent is only to lessen your shock and allow better budgeting for trips. As with NY some areas of Annopolis is above 3.00/ft. I have been lucky to have been in contact with folks who have a flat rate for weekly and monthly rates (slightly less than daily but more than seasonal). My intent is to leave the boat in NJ for early summer and move to chesa from mid throughout the remainder of the season, so monthly rates are important to me. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
As Flatfoot stated - if you know are going to be somewhere for X number of days if the the number of days is less than a week or month - inquire what the weekly or daily rate is. When sailing or Rving - the same process applies and sometimes you can get the price break by paying for days you do not use (and it is a buffer as well if plans change)... Also ask for discounts if you are a member of club, AAA, etc... lots of yacht clubs have reciprocal benies (even being a BoatUs member) ... that you can benefit from...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-23-2008

LynW is on a distinguished road
The middle of NYC is not surprisingly expensive. Most of the marinas there charge $4.00 per foor per day to transients. 79th Street Basin is cheaper but the strength of current running through it means its not a very secure marina. Many transients in NYC pick up a visitor mooring buoy just outside the 79th Street basin, flat charge of $30 per day to include use of the marina facilities.

Transient charges in rural marinas are typically in the range $1.50 - $2 per day. Yes, most transients anchor quite a bit, well we do anyway. (But anchoring in NYC isn't really an option). That means you'll need a dinghy and outboard to get ashore - for which you may well also be charged $5 or so at a municipal dinghy dock. Check that your insurance allows you to leave your boat unattended on its anchor.
Old 03-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, where is your marina? $2.50 a day is pretty typical for a transient rate... which is why a cruiser on a budget will generally avoid marina stays like the plague. Good ground tackle is pretty essential if you're planning on cruising for any extended period of time.

Up in the New England area, most marinas charge over $100/foot for a six-month season, so consider yourself lucky that your marina charges only $27/foot for the same time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Sorry, as I am a new sailor, I am planning a summer trip. I'm looking around the internet and whenver I go to a marina's page, there is usually the cost per foot.

For example I just went to 79th street in NYC and transient slips are 2.50 per foot. What time frame is this for? A day? week? month? If it's for a day that's crazy expensive, because for a 25 foot boat that's 62.50. The marina my sail boat is at is 4.50 a foot, but that's is for a month. so it's 1 hundred something a month.

If it's really that much a day for transients what do you do? just anchor all the time?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
$2.50/ft isn't that bad. We paid $3.50 at Mears in Annapolis last summer. Never again, it wasn't worth it. Baltimore's inner harbor was $2.00/ft. We got a slip in Solomons for $1.50. So the price is all over the place. That's why long range cruisers tow a dinghy and sit on a mooring
Old 03-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Now you know why there is so much talk of anchors and batteries and generators on this site!
Old 03-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... Asking which anchor is best often leads to the start of jihad-like wars... BTW, the one true anchor of the faithful is the Rocna.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
BTW, the one true anchor of the faithful is the Rocna.
Craig, use to pop his head in whenever the word Rocna was mentioned. He hasn't been around, sales must be good.
Old 03-23-2008

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Interesting question, how did they come up with a per foot charge? Whether my boat is 30 or 40 feet I still only take up one slip.