Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008

Archis is on a distinguished road
Dogs, Dinks and Davits

I'm thinking about the problem of getting a large dog on and off the boat. It seems to me that one possible solution would be to have the dog get into the dink while it was hoisted on a set of davits and then lower both the dog and the dink. The reverse prodedure would be used for getting the dog back into the boat.

This is all speculation on my part since as of now, I just have the dog Has anybody used this method for canine boarding?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
In your case you might want to think about a boat with a sugar scoop, this facilitates transfers greatly. [edit] When I read that you "just had the dog", I assumed you didn't have a boat yet. Sorry [/edit]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 03-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
We have labs and an inflatable dinghy. Our late 90lb Lab Colby and our current smaller (65lbs) lab both developed the same technique for boarding the dinghy from our sailboats (Catalina 30 and Bristol 38.8).

They approach the boarding area of the sailboat and jump onto the pontoon of the inflatable and then into the dinghy. They both do it as if it is one smooth motion with two steps. They either land on the bow chamber or the pontoon lined up next to the sailboat. You almost need to have the dinghy about a foot or so off of the boat so that they don't have to jump directly down.

We also use a life jacket on the dogs with a handle. If you hold the dog from the dinghy by the handle and guide them off of the larger boat and onto the dinghy, you can prevent any hard crashes.
Old 03-24-2008

Agreed, but a new boat is not an option.
Old 03-24-2008

Unfortunately my dog is older and jumping is not an option. Even if he could jump into the dink, getting a 100 pound dog back into the boat is still an issue.
Old 03-24-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
How large of a dog is this?
We've always had smaller dogs on our boats, except for visiting family/friends with large dogs. Even with the high free-board of our last boat, Bryer, our daughter's 70 lb. yellow Lab, wasn't much of a problem.

When boarding, we tied the dink alongside a removable boarding ladder and simply lifted him through the boarding gate. You will find that (most) dogs will assist you by kicking off the dink's gunwale with his hind quarters, while using the front legs to lift himself aboard. We are friends with several cruising sailors with larger dogs who use the same technique.
Old 03-24-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Sorry Archis, posted before seeing your last post. Very large, older dogs (and older sailors) do present more of a challenge.
Old 03-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Might also want to consider using a harness to hoist and lower the dog by itself. The dog may not like being in the dinghy when you are raising/lowering it and may jump out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-24-2008

Just hoisting the dog is an option with some mechanical help (davits or hoist), but the idea of him boarding the dink and lowering/hoisting seems like it would be easier - if it works.

Since I don't have davits, I not sure how stable the dink will be when it's hoisted. I also don't know how hard it will be to hoist up the 270ish pounds of Dog, Dink and Motor.
Old 03-24-2008
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Would the boom serve?

Arch,

It sounds as if you are thinking of going through the hassle of buying davits pretty much just for the dog.

You could probably put together a 4:1 advantage hoist that you could suspend from the boom. Swing the boom outboard and hoist the dog away! The topping lift will support the extra weight.

Just a thought.

PF