SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Palmyra Atoll (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/41689-palmyra-atoll.html)

kwaltersmi 03-26-2008 01:52 PM

Palmyra Atoll

Have you ever been to Palmyra Atoll in the Line Islands of the Pacific?

I've been facinated with Palmyra ever since I read the book "The Sea Will Tell" by Vincent Bugliosi, but I haven't run acrossed anyone who's actually sailed there. I know it's now owned by the Nature Conservancy, so but supposedly they still allow stops from private vessels.

Is it worth visiting? Any personal experiences with Palmyra?

blowinstink 03-26-2008 02:48 PM

You might want to read Charlie Dewel's Kawabunga's South Seas Adventure. I believe Charlie took his flicka there. Great little book too.

Freesail99 03-26-2008 03:09 PM

The sea will tell, wasn't that also made into a made for TV movie with Rachel Ward ?

kwaltersmi 03-26-2008 03:21 PM

Yup, it was also made into a movie, though I haven't seen it. The book was excellent.

Freesail99 03-26-2008 03:29 PM

I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, late night, couldn't sleep. It was fairly well done. They had a scene or two where she was doing fiberglass work or sanding.

uspirate 03-26-2008 03:37 PM

one of the better movies of my collection

Freesail99 03-26-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uspirate (Post 289419)
one of the better movies of my collection

And Rachel Ward is easy on the eyes.

TrueBlue 03-26-2008 04:30 PM

I saw that movie when it was first released on TV . . . early 90's? Some parts were cool - like the parts showing that beautiful ketch. But man . . . was it poorly done. Reminded me of a low-budget daytime soap.

The 2nd part was a dragged-out courtroom drama with a disappointing ending - of course the real case was unsolved whether she was involved, but still anti-climatic.

JohnRPollard 03-26-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwaltersmi (Post 289349)
Have you ever been to Palmyra Atoll in the Line Islands of the Pacific?

I've been facinated with Palmyra ever since I read the book "The Sea Will Tell" by Vincent Bugliosi, but I haven't run acrossed anyone who's actually sailed there. I know it's now owned by the Nature Conservancy, so but supposedly they still allow stops from private vessels.

Is it worth visiting? Any personal experiences with Palmyra?

My understanding was that Palmyra falls under the jurisdiction of the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT). I hadn't heard about the Nature Conservancy involvement...

kwaltersmi 03-26-2008 04:53 PM

John,

Per The Nature Conservancy website and Wikipedia, Palmyra Atoll is an incorporated atoll administered by the United States government. In 1898 the U.S., by Joint Resolution of Congress and under the leadership of President McKinley, annexed the Territory of Hawaii, explicitly including Palmyra. The Fullard-Leo family (once privat owners of the atoll) sold it to the TNC in 2000.

Supposedly, the US Fish & Wildlife service is negotiating with TNC to purchase part of the atoll.

Last I heard, private yachts can still visit the atoll with permission from TNC.