Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008

NewSailors is on a distinguished road
Newbe needs your advice

Hi respectable sailors,
We (my husband and I) just bought a 33 foot sail boat and need to sail from Groton, CT where our sail boat is located to Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn where we live. We are thinking to sail to Jamaica Bay at the end of May. So the question what is the best way to sail from Groton to Brooklyn using Long Island Sound side or ocean side? We don't have an experience in sailing yet, only in motor boating. What is your suggestion, how would you go?
Thanks
Victoria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
if you haven't sailed before, you may want to hire someone to deliver the boat for you or at least help you deliver it. i hired someone to help me deliver mine from ct. to ri. and i learned quite a bit on the sail.
Old 03-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
if you haven't sailed before, you may want to hire someone to deliver the boat for you or at least help you deliver it. i hired someone to help me deliver mine from ct. to ri. and i learned quite a bit on the sail.
Wchevron, thanks. We cannot find someone to help us but still have 2 months ahead before we plannining to sail to think about that option. We would use someone help for affordable price. That cruise can take 3-4 days.
Old 03-31-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
i echo the concept of another sailor aboard. The waters you are traveling are, and can be, challenging especially in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall. Given that you’re powerboaters, you know the water, harbors, and currents in the area you’re traveling to.

Go down to the yacht yard or marina you’re going to berth the boat and put up a simple message to query interest. You’ll also get someone from this site interested in the trip.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
if you bought it from a broker, they can usually recommend someone to help you. if not, try brewer's marina in groton, ct. they can probably recommend someone also.
Old 03-31-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Post your needs in the 'crew wanted' forum here and you'll have a dozen folks step forward within the next couple of days.
You'll also want someone to check out your boat and make sure it's sea worthy for the trip, most delivery captains do that as a matter of course.

Good luck
Old 03-31-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Since you don't know the boat and are new to sailing, go down the Sound. Lots of places to duck into if the weather turns or you have mechanical problems. Also gives you the option to do it in short or long hops.
Old 03-31-2008

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I would definitely go down the sound. Depending on your draft, you will go a very long way on the ocean side with no harbor of refuge, and few facilities suitable for your boat. Sailing through New York Harbor is spectacular and enjoyable, but needs a very reliable engine; a lot of care in planning to make sure the tidal currents favor you; and pretty constant alertness to avoid commercial traffic and other hazards. Get a copy of Eldridge's tide and current book and study the current charts to know how to time it; make sure you have up to date charts; read the Coast Pilot (available as a free download from the Coast Guard website); and check the Notices to mariners so you know where to avoid security zones (like near the UN). And make sure you know your boat and are in the comfort zone with all aspects before you undetake too ambitious a trip.
Old 04-02-2008

Thank you everyone for your advises. Someone suggested us to go by ocean side since our draft is 7ft and there are many shallows on sound side. So we were not sure what to do.

Last edited by NewSailors; 04-02-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2008

madman2525 is on a distinguished road
can't help with that, but congratulations on your SAILboat! Hope you like it and have lots of nice trips with it

mad

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.