Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
How to keep the first mate happy on long cruises

I think I've found the secret to keeping a first mate. We all know how guelling time at sea is, but, I think I've hit on the answer for a happy and content first mate.

Upon hitting a harbor, with a cruiser's net, I try to find out which are the best spas in town. Usually 3 or 4 women will come on with recommendations, most times with the same name. and usually at a luxury hotel.

Myself in need of some muscle straigtening, we pack up for a hotel overnighter, she goes into the spa for a massage, algae wrap, followed by a cleansing massage, depilation, manicure, pedicure, sometimes a hair treatment and gloss (I just learned these words).

For myself, I park myself in front of the swimming pool and ogle with a neverending banana colada in hand. Straightens the muscle very well.

5 hours later, a beautiful, soft, woman arrives, smelling of jasmine and spice, and I must say, the happiest I've ever seen her, and can't keep my hands off her. All the arguements for the last 4 days at sea are forgotten, God is in heaven, all's well on earth,

The best thing about it, is that it's 1/4 the price as in the US or Canada (at least here in Mexico anyway).

So, cruisers, here's my bit of advice. Most women really, deep down, don't like being at sea for days on end. They've done it for you, now it's time to do something for them. Makes further passages more bearable..

This post is being emailed to all youze girlfriends and wives.

Last edited by ianhlnd; 04-05-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
lol.... well, you can teach an old dog new tricks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2008

NautiG is on a distinguished road
ianhlnd, my girlfriend emailed me a link to this post. I'm not kidding. I didn't even know she was checking out sailnet. I'll have to watch my ps & qs.

She did a week with me on the Indian River for Spring Break. Her first extended cruise. I think she liked it well enough. She says she's going to spend the month of June on the boat.

But please don't give her crazy ideas about spas. If she wants to sail to Mexico with me where spas are a quarter the price, fine. But I'm on a cruiser's budget.

Pic of her sailing the boat:

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog

Last edited by NautiG; 04-06-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I'm just naturally suspicious.....

so, what's the odds of the better half commandeering Ianhlds Sailnet and posting this?

Naturally he'll have to take her to save face......sneaky....very sneaky.

of course, if I'm wrong......then I apologize profusely.....
Old 04-06-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Threads like this make me realize my good fortune in the spouse department: my answer was "offer to paint the bilges and let her handle the deck this time".
Old 04-06-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
My wife will do ANYTHING I ask after a day at a spa. Ian is 1000% right about this. I personally dont want people running their hands all over me unless it is going to get to the goal line so to speak. But my wife loves it and as they say, happy wives .......
Old 04-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I nominate Ian as the AFOC ladies man!
Old 04-06-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I'm not claiming any mental superiority but I figured this out a while ago. You old sailing salts have a ways to go to get up to modern days.
I joined a vacation club with 15 places (and growing) from Cancun to the Bahama's and the entire Windward island chain as part of it.
When the time comes we can bump anchor and sail from one all inclusive week of paradise to the next, season after season for the next 20 years and it's already paid for.
Best part is I get to hang out on the beach, bar and banquet with her and pretend I'm doing it for her ('cus God know's I"d rather be on the boat than surrounded by free booze and topless women).

If you'd like lessons, pm me
Old 04-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I nominate Ian as the AFOC ladies man!
Cam I think it is more like this:

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-07-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
First Mates, like the rest of the crew, sign articles at the beginning of the voyage, usually not to exceed one year. What's all this malarkey about keeping them happy? Put 'em off in the next port and hire another one. In any event, I hardly think spa treatments are mandated under the Jones Act definition of maintenance and cure. (g)