SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Panama City FL area question for those with experience.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/42171-panama-city-fl-area-question-those-experience.html)

beej67 04-11-2008 03:00 PM

Panama City FL area question for those with experience..

Can you get back into the St Andrew Sound via that gap in Crooked Island? NOAA charts seem to think it's a no-no, but google earth makes it look doable.

NOAA

sailingdog 04-11-2008 04:08 PM

What's your draft... and is you insurance paid up??

beej67 04-11-2008 04:11 PM

Insurance is paid, draft is about 4 feet, and I have free towing. That said, I'm sure you in your fancy postmodern two hull thingie can get in there fine. I was asking the real boaters.

:P

AjariBonten 04-11-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beej67 (Post 298793)
Insurance is paid, draft is about 4 feet, and I have free towing. That said, I'm sure you in your fancy postmodern two hull thingie can get in there fine. I was asking the real boaters.

:eek: Ho Ho, them's fitin' words, LOLOL :eek:

sailortjk1 04-11-2008 04:34 PM

The guys been around for a month and he already knows the dog.

Can somebody from the panhandle please help out?

sailingdog 04-11-2008 04:40 PM

Dame Ellen and a few others would disagree with you... :) BTW, it's a three hull thingie... not a two-hull thingie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by beej67 (Post 298793)

TheFrog 04-11-2008 04:48 PM

A review of the NOAA charts indicates this is a restricted area per note A and refers to 334.770 (CFR). The applicable part of the CFR says:

Quote:

334.770 Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrew Sound, south of East Bay, Fla., Tyndall Drone Launch Corridor, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.; restricted area.

(a) The area. The waters of the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrew Sound within an area described as follows, including Crooked Island: Beginning at a point on shore at latitude 3001'30", longitude 8532'30", thence to latitude 3000'58", longitude 8533'38", thence to latitude 2956'38", longitude 8533'38", thence to latitude 2955'15", longitude 8531'21", thence to a point on shore at latitude 3000'58", longitude 8531'21", thence northwest to the point of beginning. This area will be referred to as the “Tyndall Drone Launch Corridor.”
(b) The regulations. (1) Military usage of areas is Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
(2) Vessels are allowed to enter and remain in this area provided they have operational communication equipment capable of monitoring VHF Marine frequency Channel 16, (156.80 MHz). In the event the Marine radio equipment is not installed on the vessel, CB equipment with Channel 13 (27.115 MHz) will be used as an alternate means of communications. Warnings will be broadcast by the Air Force on Channel 16 (156.80 MHz) and Channel 13 (27.115 MHz) using the following sequence:
(i) Announcement 90 minutes prior to drone launch.
(ii) Announcement 60 minutes prior to drone launch.
(iii) Announcement of drone launch or drone cancelled, and the expected time of the drone launch. Upon receipt of the drone warning on either Channel 16 (156.80 MHz) or Channel 13 (27.115 MHz), vessels will take the necessary action to vacate the drone launch corridor not later than 60 minutes prior to expected drone launch.
(3) Vessels are authorized direct movement without stopping through this area at any time unless warned by helicopter or patrol boat.
(4) The area will be patrolled by helicopter/vessels during periods of hazardous military activity. Verbal warnings or instructions issued by these craft will be strictly adhered to.
(5) The regulations in this section shall be enforced by the Commanding Officer, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, and such agencies as he may designate.
So go ahead but watch out for the guys in camo...
I have no clue about how much water you will have under the keel.

beej67 04-14-2008 12:55 PM

Yeah, it's the approach depth question that means the most to me. The problem with the Panama City area is that there's great places to drop the hook, but there's a lot of boater traffic. This seems like a more interesting option, and there appears to be anchorage outside the drone launch corridor.

arenuiwaka 04-16-2008 12:43 PM

Hey beej67 i just stopped in panama city for a break in ou trip from texas. I am anchored in massalina bayou but will be moving to grand lagoon wher ya at

beej67 04-16-2008 12:47 PM

I'm in Atlanta, heh, but the boat's in Snug Harbor Marina way up Watson Bayou. My wife and I are planning on driving down there for the weekend, though, if the weather's good. Might anchor out in either Pearl Bayou or behind Shell Island Friday and Saturday. We monitor 16 most of the time we're out and awake.