Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Panama City FL area question for those with experience..

Can you get back into the St Andrew Sound via that gap in Crooked Island? NOAA charts seem to think it's a no-no, but google earth makes it look doable.

NOAA
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What's your draft... and is you insurance paid up??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2008

Insurance is paid, draft is about 4 feet, and I have free towing. That said, I'm sure you in your fancy postmodern two hull thingie can get in there fine. I was asking the real boaters.

:P
Old 04-11-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Insurance is paid, draft is about 4 feet, and I have free towing. That said, I'm sure you in your fancy postmodern two hull thingie can get in there fine. I was asking the real boaters.

Ho Ho, them's fitin' words, LOLOL
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 04-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
The guys been around for a month and he already knows the dog.

Can somebody from the panhandle please help out?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dame Ellen and a few others would disagree with you... BTW, it's a three hull thingie... not a two-hull thingie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
A review of the NOAA charts indicates this is a restricted area per note A and refers to 334.770 (CFR). The applicable part of the CFR says:

Quote:
§ 334.770 Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrew Sound, south of East Bay, Fla., Tyndall Drone Launch Corridor, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.; restricted area.

(a) The area. The waters of the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrew Sound within an area described as follows, including Crooked Island: Beginning at a point on shore at latitude 30°01'30", longitude 85°32'30", thence to latitude 30°00'58", longitude 85°33'38", thence to latitude 29°56'38", longitude 85°33'38", thence to latitude 29°55'15", longitude 85°31'21", thence to a point on shore at latitude 30°00'58", longitude 85°31'21", thence northwest to the point of beginning. This area will be referred to as the “Tyndall Drone Launch Corridor.”
(b) The regulations. (1) Military usage of areas is Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
(2) Vessels are allowed to enter and remain in this area provided they have operational communication equipment capable of monitoring VHF Marine frequency Channel 16, (156.80 MHz). In the event the Marine radio equipment is not installed on the vessel, CB equipment with Channel 13 (27.115 MHz) will be used as an alternate means of communications. Warnings will be broadcast by the Air Force on Channel 16 (156.80 MHz) and Channel 13 (27.115 MHz) using the following sequence:
(i) Announcement 90 minutes prior to drone launch.
(ii) Announcement 60 minutes prior to drone launch.
(iii) Announcement of drone launch or drone cancelled, and the expected time of the drone launch. Upon receipt of the drone warning on either Channel 16 (156.80 MHz) or Channel 13 (27.115 MHz), vessels will take the necessary action to vacate the drone launch corridor not later than 60 minutes prior to expected drone launch.
(3) Vessels are authorized direct movement without stopping through this area at any time unless warned by helicopter or patrol boat.
(4) The area will be patrolled by helicopter/vessels during periods of hazardous military activity. Verbal warnings or instructions issued by these craft will be strictly adhered to.
(5) The regulations in this section shall be enforced by the Commanding Officer, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, and such agencies as he may designate.
So go ahead but watch out for the guys in camo...
I have no clue about how much water you will have under the keel.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Last edited by TheFrog; 04-11-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 04-14-2008

Yeah, it's the approach depth question that means the most to me. The problem with the Panama City area is that there's great places to drop the hook, but there's a lot of boater traffic. This seems like a more interesting option, and there appears to be anchorage outside the drone launch corridor.
Old 04-16-2008

arenuiwaka is on a distinguished road
Hey beej67 i just stopped in panama city for a break in ou trip from texas. I am anchored in massalina bayou but will be moving to grand lagoon wher ya at
Old 04-16-2008

I'm in Atlanta, heh, but the boat's in Snug Harbor Marina way up Watson Bayou. My wife and I are planning on driving down there for the weekend, though, if the weather's good. Might anchor out in either Pearl Bayou or behind Shell Island Friday and Saturday. We monitor 16 most of the time we're out and awake.

Last edited by beej67; 04-16-2008 at 12:32 PM.