Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008

Iggy is on a distinguished road
Need marina tips on the eastcoast

Hi..
First let me introduce myself. I'm a Norwegian sailor for the moment located in Antigua (Caribbean). A friend and I just came from the Med. and across the Atlantic this february. I'm hoping to spend this summer on the east coast of the US, and winter storage the boat there when I'm going back to Norway. I've been told that Chesapeak Bay is worth looking into. But I'm still blank when it comes to cruising the east coast. Can anybody recommend a safe and friendly fullservice marina with dry storage??

A little about the boat and what we wish for:
The boat is a Jeanneau Sun Magic 44 (Length 44', beam 13' and draft 6,5').
The marina must offer on land storage. (Summer 2008 - summer 2009)
We must be able to work on the the boat while on the yard, and preferable live onboard during this time.
It would be great if the marina had free internet and parking. Going to have to buy a car too.
We both have visa for the US and are going to get the crusing license.

Anyway, I hope this is enough information for good hints and advice from you good people out there

I would be very thankful for any feedback that would lead us to a safe harbor this summer, and the next one. I can also be reached on my e-mail, which is preferable. My adress; "yngve@dakota.no).

Regards and fairwinds from
Yngve Johansen on S/Y Norwegian Wood (<-- the boat is 100% glassfiber
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2008

Driver is on a distinguished road
Smile Brewer Yards

We've been with a Brewer Yard in RI for 6 years and they are quite accomodating to cruisers and they allow you to do your own work. Also, if you store on land with them in the winter and slip in the summer you get free transient slips for overnight trips to other Brewer Marinas. I think there are about 20 along the coast between maine and new york.
Old 04-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
iggy,
Welcome to Sailnet, glad the have you with us. The Chesapeake Bay is indeed a good place to consider. Lots of great sailing and towns to put into. The city of Annapolis is where I would recommend you look into. It's the sailboat capital of the east coast in my mind. There are many full srvice marinas there that would suit your needs and well as many ship's stores and restruants. You might try searching Google for marinas in that area. best of luck to you and again welcome.
Old 04-11-2008

Iggy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick replies
I've been searching for marinas and sent mail to about 50 of them, the draft and dry storage is a problem for most of them. But so far i've gotten positively replies from these:
+ Haven Harbour Marina (Rock Hall)
+ St. Marys Yachting Center
+ Sailing Emporium

Have you any experience from any of the above?
And again thanks for the replies.
Old 04-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Iggy,
I have experience with Haven Hardor. It's in a town called Rock Hall which is on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. That would be on the other side of the bay from Annapolis and a little bit north. It's a very good marina with good maintenance facilities. Probably about a 45 minute car ride from Annapolis. I know there are many marinas in Annapolis that would be able to handle your boat. Rock hall is nice and there are some quaint towns nearby but I think you would be better off in Annapolis. Much more to do and see there. It's also a short ride from Washington, our capitol. I'm sure you'll get more replies here with good suggestions.
Old 04-11-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Annapolis is good in that it has good public transportation, and a wide variety of things of a sightseeing nature to do. If though, that part isn't important to you, you might consider Sailcraft Services in Oriental, North Carolina. I don't doubt it would be considerably less expensive, you're also near (other side of channel) one of the yards with an excellent reputation for service and quality, for any work beyond your skills.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I would not go anywhere near Annapolis if $$ is important to you!
Try Deltaville which is 50 mi. north of Norfolk and offers a number of yards with dry and wet storage, do-it-yourself friendly and skilled help available for FAR less than Annapolis. Suggest Shroeder Yacht Services as I have personally had good experiences there AND you will find other international cruisers there as you your work...Schroeder Yacht Systems - Full Service Yacht Repair & Maintenance
Old 04-11-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Try Jabins boatyard in Annapolis.. 50 miles by car to washingtion DC and 35 to Baltimore,,Annapolis althjough pricier than most area is a gateway to many other interesting sites and a hub in terms of milage to all. Lots of sailboat advice and marine information.

Also 3 hours from Philadelphia by car...31/2 to New York City

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of the Brewer Yacht Yards, up in New England could probably do the job... www.byy.com

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-13-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I would not go anywhere near Annapolis if $$ is important to you!
Try Deltaville which is 50 mi. north of Norfolk and offers a number of yards with dry and wet storage, do-it-yourself friendly and skilled help available for FAR less than Annapolis. Suggest Shroeder Yacht Services as I have personally had good experiences there AND you will find other international cruisers there as you your work...Schroeder Yacht Systems - Full Service Yacht Repair & Maintenance
*I* think Cam's just grumpy 'cuz his boat hasn't sold yet We love Annapolis. Try this marina:
http://portannapolis.com/aaa/index.html
which has all the amenities you listed, and you can live aboard while doing boat work.