Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Pirates or Terrorists in Mexico (Zihua)?

Has anyone come across the recent story about the 100' motoryacht, Besame, nearly being boarded by pirates pretending to be a Mexican Navy Ship? An interesting read, and something I hope keeps others alert and safe.

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
That link did not led me to the story.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
scroll to the bottom story and you will see it...

as a bonus, you'll also get to read about how to fend off killer bees.
Old 05-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like another good reason to have a smaller boat that is less likely to be targeted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-06-2008
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Local gossip about this incident at cruisers bars and on the net, generally concludes that it probably was the Mexican Navy. But the boat owner took the right precautions, in addition to what he did, he could have contacted the Mexican Navy on SSB to confirm the presence of a vessel in those waters.

The opinion of most is that if it was indeed a pirate, a phone call to the US Coast Guard (1,500 miles away?) wouldn't have deterred them from taking the vessel. Rather, the patrol ship decided it wasn't worth the effort and the possible bad press after confirming the subject vessel to be a pleasure yacht.

It's not unusual for police and military to wear some type of ski mask to hide their identity and that of their vessel while on an operation to help prevent reprisals on themselves and their families from the large drug cartels. Even the US Home Security personnel are adopting this practice, as has the ATF for some time.

Are there pirates in Mexico? My answer would be yes, they're called chandleries, boatyards, and other marine supply houses.
Old 05-06-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
Speaking of ski masks; in 1989 we were boarded by three guys on a 30 foot fishing boat all wearing ski masks while anchored off Karamata, a small island off the coast of Borneo. Kitty and our two boys were down below doing school work while I had been on deck doing some maintenance chores, when they came aboard. I began yelling at them to get off my boat and they in turn were yelling back at me in some Indonesian language or dialect I did not understand. About five minutes into the yelling match, Kitty stuck her head out the hatch and handed out three Cokes and a pack of cigarettes. The three men took off their ski masks and with a big smile accepted the Cokes sat down and began to drink. We conversed in sign language for a while and then they got up, brought me over to their boat, opened the hold and loaded me with fresh fish. As they sailed away they all gave me the thumbs up.

Later we learned that many of the fishermen and construction workers in that part of the world wear ski masks to protect their faces from the sun. Two years ago, while we were in the Bahamas, we met a woman who was from that area and she said that where she is from, people don't understand the principal of private property and they couldn't understand why we were angry at them for coming aboard. the first picture below is of the three fishermen while I was on their boat and the second is of another fisherman in Thailand wearing a ski mask.

Old 05-06-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Different folks, different strokes. I think the biggest challenge of cruising is leaving behind the misconceptions ingrained in us by daily life and unfortunately, the media.