Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008

punctualalex is on a distinguished road
Anchorages, low-cost moorings in the Eastern US?

Hey all, I'm hoping to do some cruising starting in New England down the east coast of the US this summer, and the biggest expense I keep coming up against is moorings. My cruising buddies and I are making our budget work with acquiring and maintaining the boat, but it seems like the cost of keeping a boat somewhere for any period of time are (a) troublesome for our meager budget (b) widely variable.

So here are my questions: Are there any free anchorages along the Eastern seaboard of the US, and how would I find them? And, is there a list or even any recommendations for low-cost transient moorings (or a longer-term mooring in New England) for this summer?

Thanks everyone, you might have a part in making my dream a reality...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2008

Bump is on a distinguished road
Cheap anchorages in New England

The Buzzards Bay/Vinyard Sound area has a few great free anchorages. Lake Tasmoo on the Vinyard is very well protected and great holding, you can walk to town or catch a taxi.Tarpalin Cove in free but not very protected, good for a night or two. Cuttyhunk has morings ($) and a free anchorgae area in both the inner and outer harbor. One of my favoriter areas is Hadley Harbor near Woods Hole. Absolulely nothing to do but is it beautiful, well protected, quiet and free. Watch the tides and currents around Woods Hole they are brutal.
Old 05-06-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
There is a free anchorage along the southeast quadrant of Newport Harbor, where some sailors have dropped anchor all summer. Good holding ground with the appropriate ground tackle and Newport is definitely a port that can't be missed.
Old 05-06-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by punctualalex View Post
So here are my questions: Are there any free anchorages along the Eastern seaboard of the US, and how would I find them? And, is there a list or even any recommendations for low-cost transient moorings (or a longer-term mooring in New England) for this summer?
Hundreds and hundreds of square miles of them. It just depends on how well you want to be protected and how close to Stuff - places, services, etc.... In the multitude of settled coves along your way (at least in the N.E.) the progression is something like this - on the outside you can anchor and the protection will vary on how deep the cove goes inland and how many turns it takes - then come the semi-protected mooring fields for a price $ - then maybe a breakwater or sharp turn and more moorings for a bigger price $$ - then comes the marinas with docks and services for an even bigger price $$$.
Low cost in New England ....... don't you know we are all RICH Up Here There is Nothing Low Cost in New England
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-06-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
They've got a word for "free anchorage" here on the north Gulf coast, and you see it on just about every chart. Look for the word "Bayou."
Old 05-11-2008

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
It won't help in New England, but for further south you should consider picking up a copy of Skipper Bob's 'Anchorages along the Intracoastal Waterway'(skipperbob.net), it's a pretty good starting point for anchorages from the Hudson on south. I got a lot of use out of mine.
Old 05-17-2008
Captain, S/V Geisha

richardbur10 is on a distinguished road
Anchorages

If you get as far south as South Carolina, Georgetown harbor is great although you have to be careful that you are hooked well as our pluff mud is not great for holding. It is totally free and we even have several livaboards. The town is right on the shore with shops, restaurants, and a great boardwalk. This website will show you some photos. www(dot)theharborwalk(dot)com.
Old 05-17-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Every summer my wife and I go on a 2-3 week cruise from western Long Island Sound out to Block Island and other points east. Many years I never pay for mooring or slip. There are plenty of free anchorages. Get a copy of the Embassy Guide for the region(s) of interest. They include good info on the each harbor including anchorages.