SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Satellite Phones

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
What experience out there re: Iridium Satellite Phones vs. Global Star? I am bringing a boat up the NW Pacific Coast,
outside, from Bellingham WA to Seward AK and will have a Global Star GSP-1600. Understand that the buyout of bankrupt Iridium LLC by a new company has made this the favored offshore telephone. Too late for me to change but would appreciate opinions.

#2 ·
I believe there is no difference along the coasts of the US. Same pricing structure as well at about $1.50/min.

Both systems are good and reliable. Difference MAY be in coverage. Iridium is truly global. Not sure about Globalstar... coverage changes/improves as they add to their constellation of sats.

Hope this helps. btw, both companies have extensive web sites, should be easy to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.