Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008

SAILORDUDE01 is on a distinguished road
Cayo Costa

Anybody know about this Place Cayo Costa ? Where is a good place to drop the hook for the Night or two?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008

nimble1 is on a distinguished road
Cayo Costa

I assume that you are talking about Cayo Costa Island in the Pine Island Sound area. I have anchored a few times in Pelican Bay on the sound side. It has pretty good holding most anywhere. I don't know what you draw but you should be able to get into the bay unless you draw more than 5', just be careful in the channel because it does shift some.
Years ago, you were able to get into the shoal area on the gulf side and anchor but I don't think you can now. And depending on when you go. take your screens and bug spray!!
Old 05-31-2008

Thats where I'm talking about,I live in Ft,Myers and have sailed near there, I want to sail up there next week and My draft is 3 feet and looking at the charts it looks better from the north side right?

Thanks, Ian
Old 06-01-2008

fcsob is on a distinguished road
Pelican Bay is a good place to stay. Stay to the north when you enter ,it's really shallow to your port side. On the week end there can be 40 to 50 boats there, get there early. The bugs are bad.
Old 06-01-2008

Thanks for the great info I bet the bugs are like the ones down at shark river, I stay out a little and get a good breeze, I have slept on the hook near cabbage
key, it can get rolling in the day and always wonder about Cayo Costa Island
Old 06-02-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I have not sailed to Cayo Costa, but spent a week camping there in 2007. If you decide not to anchor, I believe you can tie up at the ferry pier near the ranger station for a night or two. I haven't checked the regs, but we noticed at least two private sailboats staying at the dock while we were there.

Here's a picture of the dock:

It's a beautiful little island that's very private and secluded if you stay away from the beach just west of the campground. The bugs will eat you alive if the wind is down and there's very little in the way of shade. So be sure to bring bug spray and water if you go ashore for a hike. If you stay at the dock or the nearby bay (Pelican Bay?) you should be able to catch a ride on the park ranger's trailer to the other side of the island to the sandy beaches and lagoon. The trailer made two trips daily while we were there. Even without a ride, it's not a bad walk through the middle of the island. The fishing is excellent for snook and sea trout.

Here's the road through the middle of the island:

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2008

Sailordude...The mosquito's may not be too bad yet since we have not had a lot of rain. We live on Pine Island in St.James City and the bugs are not real bad. The salt water marsh mosquitoes did hatch out a few weeks ago when we had those real high spring tides and the marshes got really wet but they seem to have died off now. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by nimble1; 06-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2008

How was the trip?
Hull #1
Old 06-11-2008

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Not sure how his trip was but I anchored there overnight last weekend and it was good. Hot, not very many bugs. Had a Power boat come in near sunset, motor into the center of anchored boats, drop anchor and of course fire up the generator, LOL. Not quite a stereotype as he did not wake everybody on the way in or turn up the stereo but we still had a good laugh. Wind was up enough to keep bugs and some noise at bay.

With only 3' draft he could go in at high tide and not have to worry too much about the shoal to the south (watch depth sounder, use look out, ect ect). We motored carefully across it with about 4 1/2 foot draft. A good option if not wanting to sail too close to the north shore with a strong south wind.

I heard a storm went through there Monday aft. Boats were dragging and one was knocked down. Pretty sure our anchor set up would have held but glad I didn't find out if that would be the case. We were back in our comfy protected slip by that time.

Last edited by Architeuthis; 06-11-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2008

Yes, a bad storm passed north of us here in St.James City but we still recorded steady winds of over 20 mph. Heard they had winds of over 45mph!
Hull #1