Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Cruising the Channel Islands

Hi, all.

A quick report from my wife who got back last Friday from a week of sailing across the English Channel to Cherbourg and then the Channel Islands, and then back across the channel to the Solent.

Lows-- two days of seasickness at the start. Sturgeron let her down. Qwells worked for the return trip and she was a much happier camper. Some of the food they carried had to be tossed. She didn't have time to learn/complete much for the practical part of her RYA dayskipper.

Highs-- crossing the channel for the first time, and returning across the channel at night. Beautiful views in the islands. Quiet explorations on two islands-- Sark and Herm-- which didn't have cars.

Main result-- she solved her sea sickness issue, and at the end of the week didn't want to leave the boat. She was very disappointed not to head to our boat on Saturday for more sailing.

Here are some pics--

Steph at the helm passing the Needles, western edge of the Solent.

Approaching Sark and a modern castle.

Another sailboat anchored near us at Sark.

Her anchorage at Sark.

Minuet, a Westerly Fulmar II, her boat for the week. At anchor at Herm.

Heading home, back across the Channel to England.

Steph's seven day cruise was hosted by BOSS, British Offshore Sailing School. I get to do a similar, seven day cruise to Normandy next month.

Footnote-- it's easy to under-estimate how much seasickness can put people off of sailing or boating. I'm happy that Steph believes she's found her cure for now, and I know that Sturgeron works for me and my daughter. Now we need to dial in a solution for my son-- maybe Qwells as well.

We have a full photo gallery from her trip at

Channel Island Cruise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim H; 05-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.