Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Go!

There has been a lot of discussion at sailnet about some of the weird folks out there doing things like sailing for 1000 days, or taking off in a homemade boat, etc. Lots of others have come through talking about rather impractical plans such as sailing off into the sunset with the couple bucks they have in their pocket, or working along the way, etc. Often they get advice to go, and sometimes to stay, but it seems like we all have an opinion on it - whether going is practical, how much risk is too much, etc. I want to voice my own opinion on it. Keep in mind this is from someone who hasn't done it, I have not gone out and lived the dream, but like many others I would like to.

My thought on it is this ...

Just GO.

Life is short. I know that sounds cliche, because it is, but it's also true. How many people do you know who passed away this year, or last year ? Someone related to you ? Someone you knew personally ? A friend maybe ? Death is all too real a thing. Morbid to talk about, I know, but let's get real for a second here ... life is going to end. In some cases abruptly. Death isn't like some exotic thing that only happens to the other guy. It's waiting out there for every one of us.

And life is also short, sometimes too short. Even a year is a huge part of our lives when you consider how short our lives really are. It's a shame to waste any of it, because we won't get that time back again.

When someone says they want to do something completely "impractical" like sail long distance or go to some place on the earth that is a little more dangerous, why do we insist on trying to talk them out of it ? What does it matter ? The chances are rather low they are going to have anything actually happen to them, and even if they weren't that low, shouldn't they try to live their life as best they can while they have the chance ? Life isn't getting any longer, and being on a boat with some sunshine and exercise might even benefit them. It might even make life more enjoyable, better lived. And it's not like we don't already know the worst thing that could happen! It's going to happen, not IF ... but WHEN, that's the question. When and HOW! Hopefully the how is while having a great time doing something you love, living a full life chasing after your dreams.

Knowing someone who has some terrible disease or illness and is facing the ultimate end we all face in our own way should remind us that if we are ever going to do anything, it's time to get out there and do it. It won't ever be a better time than SOON, or even NOW. Because anything could happen. Many of us waste too many precious days trying to do things the safe way, worrying too much about having every little thing prepared before we go out and live our lives or have fun, and before you know it .. it's too late!

Friend ... GO! If you're thinking about it, DO IT.

Whatever you are considering - living aboard, taking a long cruise, or just getting your first boat so you can go day sailing with the kids. DO IT!

Most regret the things they don't do, not the things they did.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-30-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
here..here.. well said could you please call my wife?
Old 05-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I will disagree a bit. My view is not "go now"...but make a plan now on how to go at the earliest practical moment to live your dream the way you want to. Then stick to it.
Old 05-31-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I agree with all of you.

Cam, I'm with you on that one, that it's best to plan and then implement the plan. That's all part of what it takes to go. But I'm sure you agree too that many of us spend way too much time preparing and sometimes not enough time just getting on with it and going. Waiting around for things to be absolutely perfect.

USPirate, I agree with you too for the most part. I think we create our own cage, however. The government does help put the bars up, they reward mortgages, being poor, etc, and make it more difficult to get ahead. But I think we create our own bars too. Let's face it, most of us could live on 5$us a day if we had to. It wouldn't be that hard. People around the world live on a lot less than that. And what does it really take to make 5$us a day ? That's like 40k$us in principal and at about 5% interest you wouldn't have to work to earn that much. How many people in America couldn't come up with 40k$us if they really had their heart set on that goal ?

But we don't do that. Instead we decide we "need" satellite tv, dining out all the time, joy riding in the car, eating meat at every meal, talking on our cell phones all the time, tools in the garage we never actually use, etc. I think for the most part we build our own prison. It's like they say, it almost doesn't matter how much you make because your expenses will rise to meet it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Is today national Cannibis day or something and that something is "in the wind"?

All kidding aside, one can plan all they want - nothing ever goes to plan - and those cases it does it ends up being the not so interesting experience as all the effort to orchestrate it will rarely lead to actual rewards... just do it ...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Is today national Cannibis day or something and that something is "in the wind"?
I think it's just the good spring sailing weather.

Please support my
Old 05-31-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Your on it wind..I got told early on "you cant do it "
Did it any way..

Does life Live thru you or does Life live to you ?
Ive lost a lot of friends in the mountains climbing . Its fun , but stuff goes wrong in the moment ..move by move , step and hold by hold .

Five year plan , Retiring .
Boats payed for ,retro fit .

Found a great play ground in S.E . AK !
Learning to live off the sea is new to me , so I soak up every thing to learn up here and be ready to go in time
Old 06-01-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
"Now you can pick up reasons
So easily
Where you've been, and where you've got to be
And when the truth don't show, you'll always see
Lots of reasons
And pretty soon you've got a heavy load
dragging those reasons down an endless road
I got to thinking and I got to see
So many reasons, coming at me
The one that leaves you high and dry
He says you still owe him, there's a reason why
He'll leave you crying, till the tears run dry
He's the one, always the one, with all the reasons"

(Chris Rea, Reasons, from the album Wired to the Moon")

I don't listen to much music when I'm actually sailing but that is one song I love to put on as I head out Sydney Heads, be it for a weekend, a week or a month.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-01-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserwannabe View Post
here..here.. well said could you please call my wife?

Attachment 1701

This cartoonist, Jimmy Johnson, has done many strips about sailing. Or perhaps I should say dreaming about sailing. Some of them really hit home.

Steve

Last edited by knothead; 10-29-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2008

sailingwife is on a distinguished road
Going now!

We are weeks away from leaving ourselves. In fact, today is my husband's last day at his job. It all started with a plan about 2 1/2 years ago, lots of work, saving and spending money getting the boat and getting it ready. We are where those that have gone say is the hard part, leaving. People think we are nuts, two senior managment career people at the peak of the corporate ladder climb. We realize we can always come back and get new jobs and that the skills/work ethic that made us sucessful this time around will still be of value in 3 or so years. Money can be made and lost or spent on life experiences. At 52 and 48 we are empty nesters and leaving to see what we've really learned about life so far.