Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
There's been some reality mongering on this thread. Haven't come across any fear mongering.

That's big water out there. Buckeye hasn't done a lot of sailing. He has less than $20,000 to spend on the boat which he plans to sail from Sarasota to Honduras. Of course he isn't familiar with a boat he doesn't yet own. To say that this is an ill-advised passage is not fear mongering. All of this talk about how you've gotta die sometime isn't going to sound so romantic if you get caught in some weather in a boat you're not too familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2008

BoatBumm is on a distinguished road
"Go for it" as I have done, we all have, some crazy stuff at 54 and still kicking for next adventure
Old 06-11-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
There's been some reality mongering on this thread. Haven't come across any fear mongering.

That's big water out there. Buckeye hasn't done a lot of sailing. He has less than $20,000 to spend on the boat which he plans to sail from Sarasota to Honduras. Of course he isn't familiar with a boat he doesn't yet own. To say that this is an ill-advised passage is not fear mongering. All of this talk about how you've gotta die sometime isn't going to sound so romantic if you get caught in some weather in a boat you're not too familiar with.
Excuse the pun, but this is dead on true.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
This statement is absolutely incorrect and I am NOT fear-mongering.

Hurricane Mitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hurricane Iris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia not withstanding... my insurance company provides me with a graphic to explain their "hurricane box" as well as the coordinates. It is absolutely correct that the "hurricane box" from my insurance company does not include Belize, or most of Utila. Infact, the coordinates of the box include the east part of Utila, including the bay outside of town that most people anchor in, but just a little west of that main bay, and your outside the box. I have also thought about going to Curacao, and the box cuts the top of that island off too. I can provide the graphic, and coordinates if that is in question.

That being said, no doubt hurricanes have hit there, but my insurance (and they stated the coordinates are the same for most insurance companies) does not jack my rates up in these areas. Which raises the question, is the problem insurance coverage, or hurricanes. Ofcourse, the true problem is an actual hurricane, while the initial problem, and easily quantifiable problem is that of insurance coverage. If anchored outside of Utila and a hurricane comes... do you move the boat, or do you anchor the crap out of it (whatever that means) and ride it out in town (like alot of the islanders). Thats situation dependent.

When I mentioned fear mongering, I wasn't referencing people here... as I said, I was talking about my mom. And yeah, it sounds crazy for someone to buy a "cheap" boat, and sail it in unfamiliar waters, having spent no more than a few months learning it, with days spent offshore... but to me, thats the stuff of life. Sure, it might end in death (I wish you no harm buckeye), but it is still the stuff of life, and of living.

No doubt its crazy. No doubt people generally want to live, and generally don't seek to die. No doubt it would be safer to learn alot more, and spend more time, and more money... I do not argue with that. But... it might not be "better", which is something that each person has to determine for themselves as to what "better" means. For me, better is living a little edgy, and maybe less "safe".

But... and this might get into a bigger discussion... at what point is it foolish? Thats pretty personal I think too. I bet every person here could tell a personal story that someone else would think was foolish... yet they would tell it with zeal, and excitement. Its a problem of choice, and I honestly respect everyone's opinion that has been shared here, I just have a different one.

Everyone here reads sailing stories. How many of you read the ones where the person heading out has a great adventure? How many books have been written about the sailor who worked in their cubes day in and day out for 3 years, taking trips when they can, slowly outfitting a boat with what they needed, and then taking a no "simple" trip to Honduras? Its personal, but I would rather be in the book where the adventure happens, than be in the book where the sailor sits in a cube for 3 years looking at photos of where other people are.

Again, I do not mean to offend anybody here, and do honestly respect the opinions of the others who have shared on this topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Gringo...we lost our next door neighbors and two kids became orphans when Wave Dancer overturned in Hurricane Iris in Belize...I'm sure Gtod had that tragedy in mind.
Nevertheless, the event was a rarity and it appears the insurance companies have excluded Belize etc. from "the box" as you correctly point out. I'm not sure the boat buckeye might buy would even qualify for offshore insurance or whether he could afford it given his cruising budget so it is probably a moot point. We all know there is a LOT of hurricane activity in the Gulf of Mexico but he is probably safer in Belize or Honduras than Sarasota! The real danger is a passage in an unseaworthy boat with a totally inexperienced skipper.
Buckeye, if you get a sturdy vessel with a good engine and settled weather I still think you could do this as a motor/sail.... on the route i suggested but it will not be a cakewalk.

(Gtod...not arguing that your route is not better. For sailors with well found boats it is. I am taking the what is the quickest way to get him across and near land and able to pull in again approach...with a lot of motoring and waiting for weather as needed.)
Old 06-12-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Cam... thats a good point, and a strong example. One I can not honestly say doesn't affect me. I do not know nearly enough information about that tragedy in order to understand why it happened. I will be checking out more about it though to be better informed.

I do alot of climbing, and in every issue of Rock and Ice magazine, they mourn the loss of a climber somewhere in the world. There are alot of reasons why those sorts of things happen, and it has lead to alot of advances in gear and technique. These tragedies have not deterred me, nor others from climbing.

To be honest, and not to trivialize anybodies death, I have told my family and friends that if I would much rather die climbing, sailing, traveling, diving... than while sitting in my cube. Its not that I don't take it serious, I take it extremely serious. People are much more apt to call it a tragedy when someone dies sailing/climbing/exploring... whatever, than if someone dies while in their cube, without having ever done those things.

I honestly am not trying to trivialize, or take over the topic, and I feel its gotten a little off-topic, sorry for that.

I tuned into this topic to hear people's advice on routes, places to stop, awesome side trips, and good resources to find more information, and instead got a little caught up in the "reality mongering" which was more discouraging than encouraging. Sorry if I helped divert this topic from the original intention, and into a discussion for another topic.

Old 06-12-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
There is only one thing I can add... Life is an adventure - true, but living life to its fullest is doing so where the risk is well founded with having reaped the rewards of experience and acquired aptitude of the adventure at hand, but devoid of dreamy intentions.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-12-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Wow Buckeye, what an interesting dream! You have received a lot of replies and they all make some sense to me. Just driving solo down to Honduras would be a real adventure, if not potentially dangerous. Sailing there from FL is certainly a potentially more intriguing idea than driving but not without its own pitfalls. As to how you handle Cuba and the prevalent currents in the Caribbean I leave up to the experts. Sometimes the shortest route is not always 'the best' route which is why most sailboats come from Europe in the southern northern latitudes and go back across in the north.
As far as being on the ocean for a few days time I can comment having recently gone around 400 nm from Tortola to the Turks & Caicos Islands. I had no ocean cruising experience but went with an experienced captain on a proven 50+' sailboat and sailing all night on the ocean is not all that romantic , and we had 'good' weather. Since you are in OH can you get out for several days and nights straight on Lake Erie (or have you already done this)? When the horizon disappears at night and there is shipping nearby it is not really a safe proposition. We had every safety feature on the sailboat I was on: Radar, Sat-phone, autopilot, chart plotter, life raft, harnesses, tethers etc, etc. I would resist going offshore without any of this stuff that can cost 20K alone. Heck, I would not consider doing this trip by myself even on the 50 footer I was on, so more power to you if you can pull it off.
Jimmy Cornell's book 'World Cruising Routes' talks about the Gulf of Mexico during the winter months (Dec - Apr). He mentions a prevailing NE wind with strong 'northers' that last 2 days and sweep the region nearly weekly that can gust up to 60 knots. I may be chicken-ship but I would rather watch that from safely from shore.
Here is a neat link that has a web viewable chart of the area in question: NOAA
Good luck with your dream.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-12-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I remain indebted to each and every commentor. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do at this point........but, as confident as I am of my abilities and weighing the potential risks.....right now Hitching a ride on someone going that way seems the most logical (safe). Driving is OUT of the question. I lived in Panama for a couple of years and I think swimming to Honduras would be safer.
I'm still not ruling out taking someone with more experience on my boat. I'm not limited to a 20k boat but I won't invest 150 grand (my max) on something I don't know if I'll spend years on.
Caleb, I hear ya......and thank God I haven't lived in Oh. all my life.......I've spent a lot of time offshore in 1 to 3 week stints, just never in control of the vessel (unless you count watching the radar for hours at a time)
Is it true that you have a better chance of seeing a mermaid from Midnight to 4?.....that's what the Capt. told me.....

Jody,......I had to read that a few times........I think I agree 100%.....I used to live for adventure(Deep Sea Diver/Idiot Skier/Biker/steel worker and the wildest - Raising two girls!)........and it's been too long since the last adventure....there's not much excitement in Golf and Gardening anymore....

again, thanks all.......
Old 06-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Buckeye, You are in my general area. If you purchase a boat around here that has rigging issues and want to handle them yourself. Let me know. I would be happy to help out in anyway that I can.

I usually have to read Jody's post a few times too. Usually worth it when it finally sinks in.

Steve

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.