Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Which way to Honduras?

I need to go to Honduras this coming winter. I don't have a lot of sailing experience. Cheap boat (30') nothing fancy. Assume safe enough for either route. and YES, I'm insured!
Should I coast cruise all the way or jump to Cuba (I know about the gov. red tape, and have time to go through that) and then to the Bay Islands? Both open water sails would be relatively short and there's no huge hurry.
My daughter will be there for a year starting in the fall and I don't fly so this is the best way visit her.
Any and all comments welcomed. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Buck,

Where are you leaving from? Florida? Gulf Coast? And how much time do you have to make the trip?

Last edited by billyruffn; 06-08-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

Florida.....Sarasota area...I have about two or three months to make the round trip........Frugality is the theme of the trip.........I have more time than money...(optimistic aren't I?)
Old 06-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Buckeye...I think I would just head down to th Dry Tortugas and make the jump in settled weather to Isla Mujeres, then work my way down the coast.
With a bit of preparation, that shouldn't be too difficult a trip ...3-4 days off shore, then coastal work. Assumes you have a reliable engine and autopilot if you're doing this alone. Do it AFTER the hurricane season and before the northern fronts start making their way down into the gulf. That means early November. If you can't leave then...do it along the coast.
Try Steve Pavlidas' new guide for tips, chartlets etc. Here's an example of how good his guide is:
islandhopping.us/charts.html

(darn system won't let me post a clean link...just add the www)
Old 06-09-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Get or at least read Steve Pavlidis guide...

"The Northwest Caribbean". Steve seems to favor the Windward passage route to Guatemala and Honduras. For what its worth, I agree. I have done the trip from PR, via DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Swan islands to the Bay islands and its a manageable downwind, down current route. I have done the Rio Dulce to Isla Mujeres trip North and its was OK. I would NEVER do it the other way on a sailboat. You are sailing a lee shore and bucking 2kts + Gulf stream until you hit the Belize border. I met one boat that ended on the reef and heard of a number of others. The trip from Florida to Isla can be less that fun as well.

This is one case where the much longer route is preferable. I am frequently amazed why people think that staying close to shore is intrinsically safer that being offshore.

Two other points (not that you asked). You say that you have a cheap boat and then you insured it??. Why not put the insurance money into a slightly better boat OR improved rigging or ground tackle?

Check out riodulcechisme.com, its a Rio board but covers the Bay islands. I would investigate the possibility of sailing as unpaid crew on a larger sailboat and gaining experience that way. I am reasonably sure you could get cheapish accommodation in the Bay islands or even house or boat sit.

Fair Winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2008

I haven't actually got the boat yet. I've narrowed it down to several (20K and under) and I'm really tight with my Ins. agent (thus the "insured" mention, as I've heard many negative remarks about being out there uninsured and relying on the CG or whoever to save my butt)

I want to leave early Jan. '09 and need to be back by april or may, depending on how long the ca$h holds out.

Everything on my short list has newer engines (or rebuilt with low hours) and reliable autopilot. The rest of the boat needs "TLC"......haha......I've lived in worse.

Gtod, I'm starting to like the idea of getting a ride instead of going by myself. My biggest concern was leaving the boat and traveling inland to see my daughter. She'll be in Tegucigalpa, Looong way from the Bay Islands. I have a genuine fear of those who take things that don't belong to them.

Thanks to you to Cam. I'll check out all the sites and go from there.
Old 06-09-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
I need to go to Honduras this coming winter. I don't have a lot of sailing experience. Cheap boat (30') nothing fancy. Assume safe enough for either route. and YES, I'm insured!
Should I coast cruise all the way or jump to Cuba (I know about the gov. red tape, and have time to go through that) and then to the Bay Islands? Both open water sails would be relatively short and there's no huge hurry.
My daughter will be there for a year starting in the fall and I don't fly so this is the best way visit her.
Any and all comments welcomed. Thanks.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your situation, but if I understand this correctly,....you have a few months to plan a trip to Honduras in order to visit your daughter. You don't have much money and you don't have a boat. You don't want to fly and you don't have a lot of sailing experience.

were I in your situation, I think I would first try crewing on a boat going in that direction. even if I had to foot some of the bill to prove myself.
Or I would seek passage on a ship.
I don't think that the best option is buying a boat and heading off on a trip like that alone.
But perhaps you have someone experienced to accompany you. I don't know.
In any event, try to gain some experience before making the decision.

Steve
Old 06-09-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Sorry about the double post.

Mrs Knothead says that after having made the same trip, (in reverse), she would recommend that you catch Amtrak to TX and bus your way down. Or take a cruise ship.

Steve
Old 06-09-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Mrs Knothead is a wise woman.....

Damn Buckeyesailor. I assumed that you at the very minimum owned a boat.

You say;
"I'm really tight with my Ins. agent (thus the "insured" mention, as I've heard many negative remarks about being out there uninsured and relying on the CG or whoever to save my butt)"

I know I shouldn't ask (but having already wasted way too much time on this thread, why not), does your post infer that having insurance will is some way "rescue you" if you get into difficulty at sea.

Please Please take the bus, or crew on someones boat. You will have a great time in Honduras, its a lovely place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2008

Knothead, Thanks for the advice......now, obviously the reason I am on this site is that I have an interest in SAILING. Thus, the need from those who know better than I, advice. and for that I thank you. I will seriously consider hitching a ride but idealy, I wanted to make the trip myself or with accompanying "experienced" crew. I'm sure you understand.

as for you gtod, see me out behind the shed..........(see your PM!)
I HATE condescention!