Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
One quick question: Is the harbormaster now reserving town moorings via VHF? I was always under the impression they were first come, first served.
I have the same question as I have never heard that is was possible to Reserve the - Lime Green - town moorings.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008

tokobe is on a distinguished road
As a clarification, moorings are first come, first served. I have experienced the harbormaster directing which mooring from time to timebut not often, unlike Newport, RI where one needs the launch service to assign moorings. And the moorings come with a single substantial pennant that has an eye that fits over Tokobe's 12' fore deck cleat. Enjoy.
Old 06-13-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
I think the harbor master only gets involved with boats over 50' he directs them to an orange mooring ball if available.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 06-29-2008

cranki is on a distinguished road
Thought I'd add this question to this thread. I haven't sailed to Block Island in probably 20 years. I am planning to cruise there from Watch Hill on Tuesday, July, 15. Anybody give me an idea of what time I'd need to be there to be reasonably sure off picking up a mooring ball. Are they all taken on weekdays?

I know this is prime cruising time and grounds and. you guys know, New harbor could get pretty crowded 20 years ago. Of course it was much worse on weekends.

Side note: I believe the guys in the "andiamo" boat are descendants of Aldo, who was doing that when I was a teen; I'm in my 50's now.
Old 06-29-2008
TKE

kreinestja is on a distinguished road
Block Island

I hope you post your Block Island experience soon. I am curious as to which marina you chose or if you ended up anchoring? My first time at Block Island was near the 4th of July week and it was pretty crazy. You may find my experience with anchoring there interesting, albeit a bit late to help you. If you do a search my post is titled “Block Island Adventure”. The font is a little crazy however.
I have returned to Block Island since my first “adventure” but always time it so that I can grab a mooring. I do plan on trying to anchor there again someday, just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Cheers,
Jeri
Old 06-29-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I went to Block for the first time last year on my 25' and loved it. We rafted up to a Tartan 28 who anchored and my buddy rafted up to me with his small boat. Best week of my life. I just remember the water in the harbor being so clean and clear that you could easily jump off and go swimming right off the boats even when there are about 1000 other boats anchored up around you. And whats even better than hearing "ANDIAMO" in the morning is hearing it in the afternoon when he comes back with shrimp cocktail, and chicken parm heros

Now that I have my new 32' I am dieing to go back. I had a trip planned at the end of August with 4 other boats of my closests friends. However I also earned a trip to Hawaii through work which is the week before but they do not want me missing two work weeks in a row. I would actually rather skip Hawaii (which is all inclusive and already paid through my company) and go to Block. Thats how much I loved it there. Too bad my gf doesn't think the same way...

Either way though, docking, mooring or anchoring you will enjoy it.
Old 06-29-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
Anybody give me an idea of what time I'd need to be there to be reasonably sure off picking up a mooring ball. Are they all taken on weekdays?

Side note: I believe the guys in the "andiamo" boat are descendants of Aldo, who was doing that when I was a teen; I'm in my 50's now.
Chances of finding an empty mooring in July are slim except in the morning when boats are leaving. Most empties are picked up quickly by those who anchored the night before.

The "andiamo" boat selling pastries is still operated by Aldo's.
Old 06-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well I'll jump in and say that Pamlico made it to Block and has left and no longer needs mooring or marina advice. I'm sure he'll say thanks and supply full details of his trip when he returns.
Old 06-29-2008

cranki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Chances of finding an empty mooring in July are slim except in the morning when boats are leaving. Most empties are picked up quickly by those who anchored the night before.
Good point JimsCal. I should have thought of that myself.
Old 07-05-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Thanks all and for your advice.

We did go to Block Island and it is a wonderful place. It is really beautiful and a great natural area. We pulled up to a mooring in Great Salt Pond, the "new harbor" at about 6:00 in the morning. We didn't call anybody in advance and we knew just to look for the "Granny Smith green Apple" colored balls. There were plenty available all of time we were there. The first one we tried and the little floating part that holds the line was tangled around the mooring chain and we couldn't untangle it so we went to the next one - #67 - and it was a breeze. We just reached for the floating buoy with a boat hook and pulled it in. The line that is connected to the mooring has the right amount of line to bring straight to the anchor chock. The harbor master came by soon to collect the rent. They were $30 a night.

I will say that one concern I had is that we have a long bowsprit and thus bobstays supporting the stays at the end of the bowsprit. Since our anchor chocks are way back I sort of felt like I needed a bridle of some sort to even the pull on the two sides of the boat. We were just attached to the mooring ball on one side and it was about 3 feet back from the jib. When the wind blew a certain way the mooring line would put pressure on the bobstay (see the photo).

I could have made a bridle of some sort, or tied another line to the ball, but it never got stormy while we were there so I didn't worry about it. I wasn't sure how that one line was supposed to work with a boat like ours, and when we picked up a mooring at City Island in New York it had two lines coming from the mooring. This was much better since it balanced the boat to the center.

There is a very convenient shuttle taxi from the moorings to a landing. It's a great way to go. We would use the dinghy to save money sometimes, but when your "all primped up" and ready for a night on the town it is nice to just call the shuttle guys and get onto a sturdy platform. I think it was $3 per person and we had 5 people and we would always tip, so after a while the dinghy had its appeal.

Great Salt Pond was formerly a fresh water lake; a big one. It was turned into a salt water pond at some point and thus the name "new harbor." Many people said you should definitely stay at the new Harbor. The old harbor is just a jetty with room for a few boats on the eastern side of the island. But if you were able to get a mooring there it would be more central to the town. From the Great Salt Pond it is a couple of miles walking, or bicycling, or an expensive taxi. The new harbor is right there.

I highly recommend Block Island as a cruising destination. It is a very beautiful Island and is 75% owned by the nature conservancy. There are great restaurants all around and it is a fun island atmosphere. You can walk, rent bikes and boats, take taxis to get around, shop etc and the views are really impressive.

One of our brave crew members went to the top of the mast to take this picture of the Great Salt Pond at Block Island. Its a beautiful place!

Last edited by Pamlicotraveler; 07-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.