SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   New Sails (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/44096-new-sails.html)

Packrat 06-13-2008 01:02 AM

New Sails

I am looking for new sails, main & jib, for coastal crusing on an Ericson 32. I was hoping for some suggestions. The best price for the value? Thanks folks, Ron

JimsCAL 06-13-2008 09:06 AM

I have been happy with the main I got from Cruising Direct (a division of North Sails) a few years ago. You might also check out FX Sails which is a sponsor of this site. Both are able to cut prices by having you do the measuring.

djodenda 06-13-2008 09:32 AM

I'm very happy with the 135 Genoa and sail cover I got from FX. Good price, high quality sail.

David

Faster 06-13-2008 11:14 AM

If you shop around and do some pricing you'll find that many of the on-line outfits definitely beat the local lofts. And the promised delivery times are similar too.

As seen above you'll find some good testimonials as well. For someone not racing, and providing you have a very standard boat and/or do a good job of measuring things up this avenue probably is worth persuing.

If you're racing, though, you may appreciate the local service and support you get from a loft in your area. They will measure your boat up properly and you'll probably end up with somewhat better sails, albeit at a premium price.

ototoxic 06-13-2008 11:28 AM

new sails

I am happy with a new mizzen I got from Lee sails. (out of hong kong, via a New York Dealer). Make sure you measure your current sails, as I did not and gave them the factory specs which were not accurate and I had to have the sail altered.

johnshasteen 06-13-2008 12:35 PM

I sail almost exclusively offshore and only want the best in the event of some unforseen weather (I've been caught in two Force 10 storms over the years), so I use only Hood sails - they cost a bit more, but are light-years beyond most other sails in quality and durability. I just got a new main from them: heavy dacron, glued and double-stitched seams, three reef points, heavy everthing else - the cost was $2,200 and $66 for shipping.

Sailormon6 06-13-2008 01:06 PM

The best deals I've seen on sails were in boat show pricing. They usually take place during the off season, when sailmakers aren't as busy, and want work to keep their employees busy until the new season starts. Moreover, sometimes they offer an extra percent off, in addition to the boat show pricing, for ordering multiple sails, and sometimes they offer even more if you pay in full in advance. You have to ask, if you want these discounts, and not every company offers them.

sailingdog 06-13-2008 01:06 PM

Ummm, I'm surprised the seams are only double stitched. Most of the off-shore sails I've seen are triple stitched, not double. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnshasteen (Post 328668)
I sail almost exclusively offshore and only want the best in the event of some unforseen weather (I've been caught in two Force 10 storms over the years), so I use only Hood sails - they cost a bit more, but are light-years beyond most other sails in quality and durability. I just got a new main from them: heavy dacron, glued and double-stitched seams, three reef points, heavy everthing else - the cost was $2,200 and $66 for shipping.

johnshasteen 06-13-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 328694)
Ummm, I'm surprised the seams are only double stitched. Most of the off-shore sails I've seen are triple stitched, not double. :)

Hood goes with glued and double stitched and the only failure I've had from a Hood sail over the years - and that was in a Force 10 storm, had nothing to do with the seams. If you've ever handled a Hood sail - even a 5-10 year old one, you'll be amazed at the difference between it and other sails.

Packrat 06-17-2008 07:59 PM

New Sails for an old boat

Great info guys. Thanks a bunch. John, the Hood sails you use, you mention the durability and quality. Do they hold their shape a long time and are reasonably quick? You also mention the 3rd reef. I now have 3 reef points but when talking to some folks they discourage having more than 2. Have you used the 3rd reef point and what are your thoughts about the 3rd reef. It sounds like you have used them before, 2 times.