Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008

Packrat is on a distinguished road
New Sails

I am looking for new sails, main & jib, for coastal crusing on an Ericson 32. I was hoping for some suggestions. The best price for the value? Thanks folks, Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I have been happy with the main I got from Cruising Direct (a division of North Sails) a few years ago. You might also check out FX Sails which is a sponsor of this site. Both are able to cut prices by having you do the measuring.
Old 06-13-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I'm very happy with the 135 Genoa and sail cover I got from FX. Good price, high quality sail.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-13-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you shop around and do some pricing you'll find that many of the on-line outfits definitely beat the local lofts. And the promised delivery times are similar too.

As seen above you'll find some good testimonials as well. For someone not racing, and providing you have a very standard boat and/or do a good job of measuring things up this avenue probably is worth persuing.

If you're racing, though, you may appreciate the local service and support you get from a loft in your area. They will measure your boat up properly and you'll probably end up with somewhat better sails, albeit at a premium price.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-13-2008

ototoxic is on a distinguished road
new sails

I am happy with a new mizzen I got from Lee sails. (out of hong kong, via a New York Dealer). Make sure you measure your current sails, as I did not and gave them the factory specs which were not accurate and I had to have the sail altered.
Old 06-13-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
I sail almost exclusively offshore and only want the best in the event of some unforseen weather (I've been caught in two Force 10 storms over the years), so I use only Hood sails - they cost a bit more, but are light-years beyond most other sails in quality and durability. I just got a new main from them: heavy dacron, glued and double-stitched seams, three reef points, heavy everthing else - the cost was $2,200 and $66 for shipping.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-13-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
The best deals I've seen on sails were in boat show pricing. They usually take place during the off season, when sailmakers aren't as busy, and want work to keep their employees busy until the new season starts. Moreover, sometimes they offer an extra percent off, in addition to the boat show pricing, for ordering multiple sails, and sometimes they offer even more if you pay in full in advance. You have to ask, if you want these discounts, and not every company offers them.
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ummm, I'm surprised the seams are only double stitched. Most of the off-shore sails I've seen are triple stitched, not double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
I sail almost exclusively offshore and only want the best in the event of some unforseen weather (I've been caught in two Force 10 storms over the years), so I use only Hood sails - they cost a bit more, but are light-years beyond most other sails in quality and durability. I just got a new main from them: heavy dacron, glued and double-stitched seams, three reef points, heavy everthing else - the cost was $2,200 and $66 for shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-13-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Ummm, I'm surprised the seams are only double stitched. Most of the off-shore sails I've seen are triple stitched, not double.
Hood goes with glued and double stitched and the only failure I've had from a Hood sail over the years - and that was in a Force 10 storm, had nothing to do with the seams. If you've ever handled a Hood sail - even a 5-10 year old one, you'll be amazed at the difference between it and other sails.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-17-2008

Packrat is on a distinguished road
New Sails for an old boat

Great info guys. Thanks a bunch. John, the Hood sails you use, you mention the durability and quality. Do they hold their shape a long time and are reasonably quick? You also mention the 3rd reef. I now have 3 reef points but when talking to some folks they discourage having more than 2. Have you used the 3rd reef point and what are your thoughts about the 3rd reef. It sounds like you have used them before, 2 times.