Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2002

bjoc2314 is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

I grew up daysailing small boats, and after a long hiatus from sailing, I am in the market for a cruising sailboat. I don''t like the idea of trailing a dinghy behind the boat or lashing it to the bow or stern.

Does anyone have an opinion of folding dinghies in general or any specific make/model they have encountered.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2002

davealves is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

Hi,

I have the same problem. I like to row and finding a suitable tender that will fit on a 40'' sloop was tough. For near by coastal travel I tow a 16'' wherry, but its way too big to put on board and I don''t like to tow anything when I''m off shore. I had a 9'' Dyer that would fit on the foredeck, but I didn''t care much for it.

I have recently seen an ad for a british made tender that folds and has a sailing rig. Seahopper or something like that. Try a google search using folding boats as the key words.

I''m currently building a two part tender that nests. Its a Danny Green design using stitch and tape construction on 1/4" plywood. I haven''t had it in the water yet but it looks like a decent design.

Last year I saw an Australian boat that had a two part tender on it that looked commercially made. I didn''t ask about it.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 07-14-2002

Manateee Gene is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

I have a 13''6" nester dinghy which is an excellent rower,runs at 13knots with a 7.5hp
engine has a tombstone transom so you can take it through the surf. Broken in half I carry it in my davits. It takes about.3 minutes to put it together in the water. Total weight is 85# I have had at least 15
dinks over the years and would not trade mine for Danny Green''s or anybody elses.
I have a friend in Marathon Fl. who has a danny Green after he saw mine and tried it he wanted to buy it or trade me out of it.
The plans are on my boat. It took me 4 weeks to build it in stich and glue.The plans can be purchased for $50.00 contact me in October when I''m back in town and I''ll give you the address.
Old 07-22-2002

sailor12345 is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

Gents. I have a 33 ft sailboat and used to carry a folding dinghy. It was a so-called "Banana Boat" These things are nice when folded and latched to the rail. They are not very stable and roll over easily. I lost a camera and other goods because it flipped over. So I got back to infaltable. Now a days you find very light and small inflatables (mine is only 1.80 meter long) and can carry 3.5 HP outboard. This little thing is more stable then the folding dinghy, and by far lighter. I pull it up across the back of my yacht and tie it to the transom. It is no handicap during sailing. When anchored I just drop it down.
Old 07-23-2002

Manateee Gene is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

We have a nester dinghy which when put together is 14'' long,very stable and with 7.5hp runs at 14knots. We carry it in davits and at sea it is broken down into two pieces
the longest being 7''4". Total weight 84# I built it myself. I''ve had my fill of rubber duckies and "banana boats"... When cruising the ICW we either tow it or lift it hole in the davits. Oh!! our boat is 32''.
Old 07-23-2002

rculp is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

I''ve been thru the inflatible lash-down and pump-up routine and finally found a neat folding boat made by Porta-bote International. This one is 12ft and folds down to 4 in thick. I carry it on top of my Cherokee back and forth to Mexico where I keep my 35 ft sloop. I believe they come in 8, 10 & 12 ft sizes. The camper crowd really like them. They are stable, accept up to 8hp outboards and are nearly unsinkable. They row well and track like blazes. Their website is www.porta-bote.com. Check''em out
Old 07-28-2002

hillerpd is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

We have used a 10'' Port-a-boat on our Morgan 34 for close to 7 yrs. now. Stows on deck easily, rows ok, motors well with a 3.5. Just completed a year cruising and the boat worked geat. Just MHO.
Old 11-11-2002

whowardb is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

Gene
Would you e-mail to me attached photos of your nesting dink. We''re interested in getting plans.

Howard Baker
Old 08-29-2003

tharris is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

Manatee Gene - very interested in your nesting dinghy. Got a picture?

Thanks!
Trey
Old 08-29-2003

fsmith is on a distinguished road
Folding Dinghy Opinions

Hillerpd,

How difficult is it for one person to unfold a port-a-boat on deck? Can it be done quickly?
Thanks,
F. Smith