Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008

jordansname is on a distinguished road
Going North, San Diego - Crescent City

I'm considering harbor hopping from San Diego up to Crescent City with my 25' Coronado and would appreciate any advice on making the trip, also what to expect for travel time would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2008

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Jordan, I can only speak from experience from San Francisco north, however I have read that getting around Pt Conception can be pretty severe. The whole trip will be "uphill" and depending on the weather it can be pretty rough. I took some approximate mileages off of a road map, not a chart.
SF(Pt Bonita) to Point Reyes which is exposed to the south, 25 miles. Pt Reyes to Bodega Bay, good entrance, 25 miles. Don't try Tomales Bay to the south, it can be treacherous. Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg, a pretty good entrance, but can break in heavy weather, 90 miles.Nothing but some coves in between. Fort Bragg to Eureka, which like San Francisco, has a breaking bar in heavy weather, 100 miles. Some small coves in between but all exposed to the south. Eureka to Crescent City, 70 miles with some coves exposed to the south.
I owned a Coronado 25 for 10 years out of Sausalito. Started with a 6 hp
then went to a 15 hp which could pretty much punch through anything I wanted to be out in at hull speed, about 5 1/2 to 6 knots, I think. San Diego to SF is about 575 miles. Trip time? you do the math. Please remember, I took the mileages off of a road map, and they are approximate. I am wondering, why doyou want to do this?

Dabnis
Old 07-04-2008

Jordan,

Can't post links yet, but if you go to "General discussions", page 31 article
"Sad story from SF Lightship race", there is some info on the SF bar I thought you might be interested in.

Dabnis
Old 07-09-2008

Dabnis,
Thanks for response. I'm interested in this trip for a few reasons....
1. I'm off till October
2. Have family in Oregon and was planning on making the trip north via car for the summer.
3. Thinking I want to sell the boat I'm on now, so why not sell it in Crescent City, then fly back to San Diego this fall.

I've been talking to a few people here in my marina, and they all say Pt Conception is my biggest obstacle, they also say that now is the time to do it with the summer wind conditions.
Old 07-09-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I have read that getting around Pt Conception can be pretty severe.
that aint no lie, seemed like forever to pass that friggen point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-09-2008

Jordan, Might seem like a good idea, don't want to rain on your parade, but I have many years experience in northern california waters, to sum it up the few actual harbors are a LONG way apart and even in the summer months it can be very rough, all up hill. Suggest you seek advice from someone who has actually done it. If you go, please check the weather constantly, carry a whole lot of fuel and be prepared to lay over for extended periods to wait for good weather windows. Best of luck to you.

Dabnis
Old 07-10-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Did it last year (actually exactly one year ago Departed San Diego 6/30/07 Arrived Crescent City 7/23/07)... that is one hell of an uphill battle. Probably some multiple day runs. Your engine better be 'fresh' to say the least. Don't plan on sailing... its not going to happen unless you sail to Hawaii first! Also be prepared to wait at anchor for days to get around Point Conception. Be fully prepared for winds approaching storm force and waves to go with them in the channel islands. 25'.. put it on a trailer. There is a really cool old Canadian guy up in Ramona that fit it to a trailer and haul it for a very reasonable sum. Much less than the cost of a blown engine, or rig.

Picture of steel ketch distmasted while going around Pt Conception....

I waited 3 days before making the run for it.

Fortunately there is a good sand bottom at Gov't Point. I had 200ft of chain out that was taught...

Last edited by sailboy21; 07-10-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2008

Jordan, Sailboy 21 has "been there, done that", and his boat is a lot bigger and faster than yours. Last time I was up in Crescent City, about 2 years ago, I would estimate 80 to 90% of all the boats in the harbor were commercial or sports fishing boats, the rest were sailboats and "project" boats. Probably not much of a sailboat market up there. If you go, let us know how it went.

Dabnis
Old 07-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Your engine better be 'fresh' to say the least. Don't plan on sailing... its not going to happen unless you sail to Hawaii first!
You motor sailed the entire way, or just motored?

I have no problems camping out for the weather, how long of a weather window did you wait for before crossing pt conception?
Old 07-10-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I think your best shot from SD is to plan on a beat to the Southern end of Cat Isl. then back to the mainland around LA, then frog up to SB and plan leg 2.

From SB to Monterey there is but one safe haven for ya ( Morro Bay ) and that's going to be some tuff milage

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies