Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
Seamonkey, I'm sailing out of Killarney and thinking about shifting over to Little Current. Is that where you are? I want to be where there is a few more amenities at hand, any recomendations. I live in Sudbury as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Bushrat, we're headed up to Killarney on a couple of weeks. What don't you have in Killarney that's lacking. I haven't been in that area for a long time ( we used to canoe the park years ago) and went into town before and after trips. I have a recollection of wanting to be in that area in a boat and will finally be actually doing that. I don't remember what was lacking as far as facilities for boats and thought it was well equipped.
Old 07-09-2008
Banned

It's not bad for services, it's just such a small village. Even if the fish and chips are great, how many times do you want that for dinner? It would be nice to have a place where you can go about the town a bit more on shore. Killarney is a boating paradise but apart from a chipstand and general store it is doesn't have much else to offer.
Old 07-09-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
Seamonkey, I'm sailing out of Killarney and thinking about shifting over to Little Current. Is that where you are? I want to be where there is a few more amenities at hand, any recomendations. I live in Sudbury as well.
Hi Bushrat, Killarney is beautiful, but you're right....not much going on there as far as amenities and I found that the little grocery is very over priced.

I'm at Boyle Marine in downtown Little Current and love it. Great owners and great club. They just put in some new docks...give Pat or Marlene a call (705) 368-2239 if you are interested. It's about the same distance as driving to Killarney from Sudbury. I'm recommending it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ray
Old 07-09-2008
Banned

Boyle is one I was looking at. Good to hear you like it. If I'm not mistaken you are SE of the bridge? What is it like entering if I go by boat? This is our first season with the boat, is there some areas to look out for? How about issues going through the swing bridge as well?
Old 07-09-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
Boyle is one I was looking at. Good to hear you like it. If I'm not mistaken you are SE of the bridge? What is it like entering if I go by boat? This is our first season with the boat, is there some areas to look out for? How about issues going through the swing bridge as well?
It's on the right side of the bridge, so South West. The swing bridge opens on the hour, never an issue. The current is sometimes quite strong, that is the only issue with that area, but you get used to it. Many spots to watch out for, but they are well marked with proper bouys (most of them). What kind of boat do you have?
Old 07-09-2008
Banned

OK, I was thinking of Harbour View. It's a Mirage 275. I just enquired by email. What are the rates like? And your boat?
Old 07-09-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

Harbour View is okay, a bit small I found. Rates are about the same at all 3 marinas...Harbour View, Boyle and Spyder Bay. Boyle is a full service marina with a 60 ton lift. I can't complain about the rates after what I read on this site and the rates some people pay. I sail a Morgan Outisland 36. Good luck with your search. Come and check us out if you get a chance.

Ray
Old 07-09-2008
Banned

Thanks for the info. If you see us on "Victoria" give a shout. You can see her from the chip stand.
-Gary
Old 07-10-2008

jjns is on a distinguished road
scottbr - Thanks for the great marina link. Pic's are fantastic too. Will check into it shortly. After looking at the big map I realized there is nothing in the Wasaga area other than water. Looks like Penetang/Midland is the way to go,
maybe we wont sell her after all.
What are the cruising waters like for depth, have heard stories of too many shoals and not enough water, as we draw 5ft that was another concern.