Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008

jjns is on a distinguished road
ichorny - I have looked into Doral, thought the $4000 fee a bit steep, almost what I am paying at OHM. That said, it is a nice place and if that is all there is, we may just have to pay up, the idea of inside storage is tempting too, but not sure if the extra $1500 would be worth it, not too mention dropping the mast. The August deal looks good but I am paid up at OHM till end of season and while they will refund fees less certain costs, bottom line being I wouldn't see much of a refund. But is still worth considering if it gets me a slip.
Thanks Voodoo, that would make the 3rd high rating I have heard from them, their prices seem a little more reasonable and I really like the location as for getting out into the Bay. I will be calling Amanda next week.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2008

Surftom - What slip are you in? We are B-44, drop by if you get a chance, always a cold one in the fridge for such an occasion.
Old 07-11-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
Slight sidebar,

I'm STILL looking for a boat and thought that Georgian Bay would be a great place for cruising but a friend told me that you would need at least a 30' for the bay due to choppiness etc., yet I seem to see some slightly smaller boats in the pics, what exactly would be required?(bare minimum)
i would say to navigate most of the islands you would want to be in at least a 27 foot boat with an inboard or bigger.inboard is a must.
i sailed georgian bay for 5 years in a mirage 24 with an outboard and on many occasions it got nasty.in the bay on the other side of giant tomb you can get into some rollers that will toss a small boat around like a salad.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 07-11-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
i would say to navigate most of the islands you would want to be in at least a 27 foot boat with an inboard or bigger.inboard is a must.
i sailed georgian bay for 5 years in a mirage 24 with an outboard and on many occasions it got nasty.in the bay on the other side of giant tomb you can get into some rollers that will toss a small boat around like a salad.
Agreed that beyond Giants can be rough, but there's also lots of area that you can sail without being in the "Bay". To get from Penetang / Midland is 2 1/2 hours motor - 3-4 hrs. sail to Beckwith. On a day sail that usually means I turn around and sail downwind to the red buoy at the sand bar across from Beausoleil and then go like snot to Whiskey Island and drop sails there. Penetang Harbour is too narrow, too busy to try to sail ( drives me crazy when someone tries to sail through there) I was surprised at the few boats I saw out in the open Bay. Maybe 1 or 2 every hour or so vs. constant traffic to Giants / Beckwith. Not to mention just sailing around Midland Bay for the afternoon.

Last edited by scottbr; 07-11-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
I just love the waters around Killarney. Even though the services are limited we usually are at the boat to enjoy the scenery and not looking for entertainment or shopping. We just curse when we forget to pack something! I really must be spoiled if I complain about our exceptional cruising area. The quietness has it's appeal as well. Except for several weeks in the peak season, it is very easy to find solitude and that's usually what it's all about anyway.
Old 10-06-2008

Sorry to revive an old thread, but seeing as this is where we got the advice on Bay moorings(and thanks by the way), thought it appropriate to update. Our Ticon arrived by Andrews last weekend, she is now sitting in her cradle, all prepped for winter and awaiting a shrinking of wrap. Looking forward to having some fun sailing next year (rather than doing circles in the big puddle).
Here's hoping for a short winter.
Old 10-06-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Hey, great to hear. You will enjoy it up there. We're still in the water and plan on heading out for Thanksgiving weekend next weekend. May get hauled out in a week or so. Where's your boat now. I was checking out everyone that where hauled out in the past week. Our cradle is near the gas dock along with the other sailboats.

We were out to Beckwith last weekend, a little bouncy, but the upside was only 3 sailboats and 0 powerboats on either side. Spent an hour or so chatting with one owner on shore, an ex-Toronto sailor as well, as our 2 Retriever puppies ( 1 yr. and 15mths) went crazy playing with each other.

If you don't have the Ports book yet, I highly reccomend it. It is invaluable in finding anchorages in the various bays in the area and services while cruising further away.

We're in 223, drop by for a beer if you happen to catch us at the dock.

Last edited by scottbr; 10-06-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2008

We are up front, between the gas dock and the travel lift, backing onto the grass. Hope to have it shrink wrapped this week.
I envy your trip this weekend, last time we did a thanksgiving cruise was up to Chemainus (back in the days when we used to hang around with Plumper). Fair winds and following seas.
Any recommendations on sail-makers up that way? It is time to have ours gone over and repairs made as required.
Will stop by if we get a chance.
Old 10-08-2008

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
There are some nasty waves on the bay, O'Donnels Point (south of Parry Sound) after a stiff 3 day west wind comes to mind, but there are also lots of smaller boats in the Bay. I have seen lots of smaller (22' - 28') Tanzers, Edels and Odays cruising north out of Honey Harbour. The smallest that I have seen headed long distance was a Hobie 18 piloted by Jeff MacInnis and crewed by David Hill. 4 days to go around the circumference of the bay. This is the same guy ( Jeff) who then went and sailed the Northwest Passage in the same boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 10-08-2008

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
We also plan to take one last sail from Killarney over Thamkgiving. It wouldn't surprise me to have a night at Covered Portage all alone!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.